Terminator - Dark Fate

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Is that really saying much, though?

Besides, if you ask China, they’ll tell you that Genisys is the best of the series! :P

Pretty funny that China loved it.  

But they literally have a billion more people than the USAs population so it probably doesn’t say much.

• Like 1

Dark Fate is a wannabe Marvel movie. The fight scenes were full of CGI karate where the bad guy character can take a million hits. Only the first two movies got this right. Even the T-1000 starts malfunctioning after it was frozen and then blown up. Cameron was always good about keeping some semblance of realism and understanding of physics in his movies.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Is that really saying much, though?

Besides, if you ask China, they’ll tell you that Genisys is the best of the series! :P

Probably not.

There were some things I didn't like about Dark Fate but I've read that no sequels are planned.

57 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Probably not.

There were some things I didn't like about Dark Fate but I've read that no sequels are planned.

Yeah the franchise is dead again now, as far as we know. My guess is the next reboot will be a HARD reboot this time where they simply remake the first film with all-new actors. I think we’ve seen the last of Arnold and Linda.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 2:03 PM, James Bond said:

It says a lot about the film's quality when nobody flat out said "it's a great film" but rather "it's better than Genisys" which was pretty much a given.

I actually prefer Genisys. It's way worse and weirder and stupid fun. 

• 5 months later...

I just saw it. Thought it was fine. An action movie with a bunch of action sequences. Performed by skilled action actors. What else is there to want? Humour - check. Social commentary - check.

The only thing that took me out of the moment was the sound when Dani pulls the neurological network thingy out of Grace. Sounded like pulling a stopper out of a jug :lol:

It is just irritating how we have had essentially the same story since T1 repeated ad nauseum. Salvation wasn't good, but at least it had a different story. This is the third failed restart of the franchise. That is crazy to me, what other blockbuster movie series has gotten and had a 0-3 restart? 

2 (doesn't count as a bad thing because it's the first sequel and is near perfect), 3, Genisys, and Dark Fate all have the exact same premise. This one did some stupid shit just to have the status quo be the same- Skynet didn't happen but another company did and produced the same endoskeletons, John does but there is ANOTHER child savior, chase chase chase then end in an industrial facility. Grace, Arnold, and Sarah all kind of played the same role. The new characters and Terminator were all okay, but they got a very boring playground of a story to play in.

I have repeatedly said I think a purple hued 80s throwback future war movie is what I want, but maybe even that would be dumb. The future war scenes in 1 and 2 are awesome but in hindsight, that is probably all we need. 1 and 2 were a perfect, closed loop story. Let it die at this point.

Anyways, those are my final thoughts on DF :(

38 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

It is just irritating how we have had essentially the same story since T1 repeated ad nauseum. Salvation wasn't good, but at least it had a different story. This is the third failed restart of the franchise. That is crazy to me, what other blockbuster movie series has gotten and had a 0-3 restart? 

2 (doesn't count as a bad thing because it's the first sequel and is near perfect), 3, Genisys, and Dark Fate all have the exact same premise. This one did some stupid shit just to have the status quo be the same- Skynet didn't happen but another company did and produced the same endoskeletons, John does but there is ANOTHER child savior, chase chase chase then end in an industrial facility. Grace, Arnold, and Sarah all kind of played the same role. The new characters and Terminator were all okay, but they got a very boring playground of a story to play in.

I have repeatedly said I think a purple hued 80s throwback future war movie is what I want, but maybe even that would be dumb. The future war scenes in 1 and 2 are awesome but in hindsight, that is probably all we need. 1 and 2 were a perfect, closed loop story. Let it die at this point.

Anyways, those are my final thoughts on DF :(

Really they should have either done a Rogue One type situation and just show us how John beat the machines and sent Kyle and the T-800 back, or something really off the wall such as T-800's in space. The last thing any real fan of this franchise wanted was another damn chase movie.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan
  • Like 1

I finally watched it recently, and I didn’t think it was that bad. Like, it wasn’t great, but I guess I was expecting something absolutely terrible, so I was kinda pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t complete trash. It did have some interesting ideas, though it fell flat in the second half.

Reading back through what others have pointed out here, I do agree with the criticisms.

I was quite surprised with the John Connor scene. I was expecting a cameo, but I wasn’t expecting that! Especially with how it throws away everything that they were fighting for in the first place. 

i think a large part of what made all those 80s / early 90s movies so legendary, was the tone and style they went with. that noir / blue subdued tension atmosphere complemented with flashy neon lights and ominous soundtrack... that was all so badass

these days, we have daylight bright / tomorrowland vibes / progressive flavoured momentos that communicate as much danger as your local towns hall. all that's missing is a shania twain song.

4 hours ago, action said:

i think a large part of what made all those 80s / early 90s movies so legendary, was the tone and style they went with. that noir / blue subdued tension atmosphere complemented with flashy neon lights and ominous soundtrack... that was all so badass

these days, we have daylight bright / tomorrowland vibes / progressive flavoured momentos that communicate as much danger as your local towns hall. all that's missing is a shania twain song.

Look at other action and sci-fi movies of the 80's and early 90's. T1 and T2 have such a different feel and are almost in a world of their own. The Terminator movies that came after just seem to fit in with their action/sci-fi counterparts. This is made even worse when they just keep remaking the same chase movie over and over. 

Another critique is how indestructible they started making the actual Terminators. The Terminator in the first movie had his hand messed up from a single shotgun blast. Even the T-1000 started glitching at the end of the 2nd movie (in the directors cut, which I consider cannon). So yes these machines are from the far future, but they are still real machines with flaws. Compare that to the modern fare when you can shoot these things with a thousand RPG's with no effect! Totally takes you out of the story.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Look at other action and sci-fi movies of the 80's and early 90's. T1 and T2 have such a different feel and are almost in a world of their own. The Terminator movies that came after just seem to fit in with their action/sci-fi counterparts. This is made even worse when they just keep remaking the same chase movie over and over. 

Another critique is how indestructible they started making the actual Terminators. The Terminator in the first movie had his hand messed up from a single shotgun blast. Even the T-1000 started glitching at the end of the 2nd movie (in the directors cut, which I consider cannon). So yes these machines are from the far future, but they are still real machines with flaws. Compare that to the modern fare when you can shoot these things with a thousand RPG's with no effect! Totally takes you out of the story.

Im not too deep into the genre so it was just a thrill ride. Having said that, the films are an anticapitalist statement (I've only seen 1, 2 and DF). From that regard the idea that the enemy keeps getting more and more impossible to fight is accurate. In the late 80's neoliberalism hadnt even established the free trade agreements we have today. Globalism was still only a gambit and the people even shut down Seattle to resist it. There was greater privacy. Now we have a neoliberal economy, Snowden, and a literal sky net (US Drone Program). Thats the terminator we see in DF?

55 minutes ago, soon said:

Im not too deep into the genre so it was just a thrill ride. Having said that, the films are an anticapitalist statement (I've only seen 1, 2 and DF). From that regard the idea that the enemy keeps getting more and more impossible to fight is accurate. In the late 80's neoliberalism hadnt even established the free trade agreements we have today. Globalism was still only a gambit and the people even shut down Seattle to resist it. There was greater privacy. Now we have a neoliberal economy, Snowden, and a literal sky net (US Drone Program). Thats the terminator we see in DF?

I see that, it makes sense. But that doesn't necessarily make for a good story. I felt like the T-1000 was the apex of skynet technology (skynet itself is even fearful of it because it can't be controlled like the T-800's and it's only deployed at the last possible moment before skynet is destroyed). And even with that apex technology, extreme temperature changes and an internal explosion cause all sorts of damage. Cameron has a background in physics I believe, it always kept his films grounded in a way other action films aren't.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is nowhere to go after Robert Patrick's T-1000, a cyborg who truly seemed unstoppable. They stuck some tits on the one in the third film, and in Dark Fate they have some weird hybrid abomination.

The T-X in T3 was the hybrid, Dark Fate was just a retread of the T-X!