Terminator - Dark Fate

4 hours ago, vloors said:

It just seems like a unneccesary female empowerment reboot to me at this stage aka ghostbusters all over again.

At least this won't have a horrible SNL-cast. The trailer doesn't give us a lot to get excited about though. 

• Like 1

there is a trend of forcing all-female casts in old movie franchises. It appears that the new terminator is another example. Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8, and batwoman are other examples.

It's been years since I last visited the cinema, so I didn't really follow this trend, but being a big terminator fan (of the first two movies), this has somewhat caught my attention and I don't know what to make of it.

I don't think this heavy focus on the female cast fits the terminator narrative / image at all (but I'm sure many people will disagree, and that is fine). The way this is marketed speaks volumes. This is also very poor writing and judgment on the part of the producers.

I have absolutely no interest in watching a girls movie. Never did, and I'm not going to start now. This is because I'm a stereotypical heterosexual man who happens to appreciate stereotypical one-man-war action movies. This does not appear to be one of them. This movie is aimed at a different public than old fashioned man like me. Who then? I'm not sure. My wife likes "real" women's movies starring hugh grant and the likes. Not sure she's pumped for a futuristic female terminator killing machine. This is just... weird. It really intrigues me who this is aimed at. What kind of woman would appreciate this narrative? I love strong women, I've always dated strong women and none of them loved an action movie, they all thought it was "men's stuff".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, action said:

this has somewhat caught my attention and I don't know what to make of it

It feels forced and so far the examples I've seen were worse rather than better because of it. I'm all for equality, but this is the wrong way to go about it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, username said:

It feels forced and so far the examples I've seen were worse rather than better because of it. I'm all for equality, but this is the wrong way to go about it. 

I'm all for equality too, when done right. But if that was the intention, then I still don't understand the way the female terminator is portrayed. I can't be the only one seeing a justin bieber lookalike in it. Is it benefitting equality, to make women look more like men? I'd argue the opposite is achieved. It's as if females aren't looking badass enough, without being given male characteristics. Strange message to the female population if you ask me.

this also feels a bit like making an all men "sex and the city". It's not a movie I would go see, even if they were all males. You see, I have no interest in watching a movie about 5 men talking shit about females for 2 hours. Again, personal taste, perfectly fine if people do like that sort of thing.

8 hours ago, downzy said:

It’s a trailer. Not sure it means much at this point. 

Jump on YouTube and watch the trailers for T1 and T2.... T3 4 and 5 for that matter. The trailers for every one of them looked promising, sure... t3 to 5 sucked for the most part but this new thing just pales in comparison.... seems once again they have totally mis-cast the actors... although I’m loving the little Latina hottie chick.

10 hours ago, vloors said:

It just seems like a unnecessary female empowerment reboot to me at this stage aka ghostbusters all over again.

I'm still rather sceptical about this and the trailer was rather meh but I don't think it's fair to pull the female empowerment card as a criticism. I mean it's not like the original Terminator movies lacked a central female character. Also the Ghostbusters reboot wasn't awful because of the female cast, it was awful because Paul Feig though that Melissa McCarthy and queef jokes  would be a good replacement for a script.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 3

I agree that so far the movie doesn't seem all that exiting. I don't mind the female characters, but so far I just haven't seen anything that would have grabbed my attention. Well, except the fact that it's a Terminator movie and the first two were great films. And the fact that James Cameron is involved again.

I don't think T3 was a bad movie. It was actually pretty entertaining. It wasn't worse than most Marvel movies, but compared to T1 and T2 it was pretty bad. Most movies are pretty bad when compared to classics like the original Terminator movies. I haven't seen T4 and T5, so can't comment on those. The general consensus seems to be that none of the sequels are anywhere close to the quality of the first two though. So now those movies are scrapped and this is the new T3. Scrapping all the sequels is a pretty bold move and it wouldn't make much sense unless this movie is MUCH better than the original T3. So that's the most interesting thing about this new Terminator movie I guess. They seem to be pretty confident that this is much better movie than T3, T4 and T5. Otherwise it wouldn't have made any sense to scrap those movies. So I guess I'm cautiously interested.

Maybe the trailer wasn't all that interesting cause they didn't want to spoil the great parts of the movie. Could they actually have learned not to spoil movies in trailers?. Could the movie actually be much better than the trailer suggests? We can only wait and see I guess.

57 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'm still rather sceptical about this and the trailer was rather meh but I don't think it's fair to pull the female empowerment card as a criticism. I mean it's not like the original Terminator movies lacked a central female character. Also the Ghostbusters reboot wasn't awful because of the female cast, it was awful because Paul Feig though that Melissa McCarthy and queef jokes  would be a good replacement for a script.

well...

to start, the terminator franchise didn't really need a sequel after the second movie. It was a perfect ending to the series. Subsequent movies have all failed for various reasons. So for yet another sequel to do better, it better be something really awesome.

what was awesome about the first two movies? Arnold and his iconic character first and foremost. Then you have strong support characters like kyle reese, sarah connor and the kid who played john connor. All of which have become iconic characters in their own right.

the new movie had some things going for it. The return of linda hamilton is certainly a good thing. But it quickly went downhill from there. The promotion team thought it fitting to show three females in the first promotional poster, put linda hamilton to the side and making some justin bieber lookalike the central character, with arnold nowhere to be seen. Somehow, they claim that the series has "refound" its heart not to focus on men this time around, while the focus of the first movies has pretty much being... here comes the shocker: the terminator. So it seems to me, there are certain people out there who made some crucial decisions about this film, that dont seem to have a clue what the classic terminator movies were all about.

the first movie had sarah connor and kyle reese supporting each other, making each other stronger in their fight against the terminator. The second one had arnie and sarah connor teaming up against the T1000. Both movies featured the strong character of sarah connor, yes, but she was always supported by men, and she offered support to men herself. It was all pretty harmonic and anti-sexist.

But this new movie sees an all - female gang teaming up against the terminator, and there is not much room for nuance this time around. In this regard, the new terminator paints a warped view on sexism, helped with the inclusion of a woman who looks like a man. This hits all sorts of sexist boxes. I don't really see the merits of going this route for the story, and to me it's really nothing more than what is quite obvious forced feminist politics.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

It wasn't forced in T2 though. Linda Hamilton was a badass, but more like a badass mother who'd do anything to protect her son. It was the motherly instinct that made her tough. It was traditionalism with a feminist veneer. Never saw the new Ghostbusters so no opinion there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, action said:

there is a trend of forcing all-female casts in old movie franchises. It appears that the new terminator is another example. Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8, and batwoman are other examples.

It's been years since I last visited the cinema, so I didn't really follow this trend, but being a big terminator fan (of the first two movies), this has somewhat caught my attention and I don't know what to make of it.

I don't think this heavy focus on the female cast fits the terminator narrative / image at all (but I'm sure many people will disagree, and that is fine). The way this is marketed speaks volumes. This is also very poor writing and judgment on the part of the producers.

I have absolutely no interest in watching a girls movie. Never did, and I'm not going to start now. This is because I'm a stereotypical heterosexual man who happens to appreciate stereotypical one-man-war action movies. This does not appear to be one of them. This movie is aimed at a different public than old fashioned man like me. Who then? I'm not sure. My wife likes "real" women's movies starring hugh grant and the likes. Not sure she's pumped for a futuristic female terminator killing machine. This is just... weird. It really intrigues me who this is aimed at. What kind of woman would appreciate this narrative? I love strong women, I've always dated strong women and none of them loved an action movie, they all thought it was "men's stuff".

And all the male characters are some kinda ethnics! Boo hoo. :lol:

Sarah Conners was always the 'strong female lead' its just that there wasn't alt right trolls with access to you mind via the internet when you first started enjoying this feminist franchise.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Sarah Conners was always the 'strong female lead' its just that there wasn't alt right trolls with access to you mind via the internet when you first started enjoying this feminist franchise.

As I stated before, I don't think Terminator was ever all that feminist (at least by 2nd or 3rd wave standards, you could argue Sarah would be a 1st wave feminist). Sarah is a strong female lead, but her strength comes from her mother instinct and willingness to sacrifice for her son. By the 2nd movie it's all about John. Arnold and Sarah Connor are there to protect him and make sure he becomes the leader he's destined to be. Same with Ripley in Aliens, it's basically mama bear vs mama bear in that one.

39 minutes ago, soon said:

comedy gold

22 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

As I stated before, I don't think Terminator was ever all that feminist (at least by 2nd or 3rd wave standards, you could argue Sarah would be a 1st wave feminist). Sarah is a strong female lead, but her strength comes from her mother instinct and willingness to sacrifice for her son. By the 2nd movie it's all about John. Arnold and Sarah Connor are there to protect him and make sure he becomes the leader he's destined to be. Same with Ripley in Aliens, it's basically mama bear vs mama bear in that one.

Im reading your post as suggesting that motherhood and feminism are mutually exclusive? I dont think that that they are.

Joan of Arch is a figure in feminist thought. The idea of a women being a leader in militarism remains an issue in feminist discourse today. In a world where men get their panties in a bunch over women in an action movie, "strong female lead" isnt only a feminist issue, evidently its revolutionary!

And certainly the post I was responding to was suggesting that feminism played a role in there being strong female leads in T6, so within that context T1 and T2 were also feminist in that posters own logic.

32 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Who cares about the politics? It’s a kick ass movie that happens to have a female star. Why do so many people make a problem where there isn’t one?