Slash talks about Nirvana in Kerrang's tribute feature

Blackstar

22 minutes ago, Ratam said:

My opinion about Cobain is either he isn't was less poser that Axl was ,neither less real. I think have people that exaggerate too much his supposed rebelliousness. The press collaborate much to create images about artists.

No doubt about that.  I also feel that if Cobain, along with others like Morrison, Hendrix, or Amy Winehouse, could've survived a little longer they possibly could've gained just enough wisdom or clarity to carry them through. But maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Who were the other bands of the "old guard" then, though? Skid Row? Some of the 80s hair bands were still selling records, but basically that thing was already fading by the time the Seattle bands became successful. The only really big band of that generation at the time was Guns N' Roses, unless we include acts like U2 and Bruce Springsteen, too.

There was no old guard in my opinion most because rock was still popular , guns were last true rocknroll bands as big as they were and were in a league of their own.

11 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

No doubt about that.  I also feel that if Cobain, along with others like Morrison, Hendrix, or Amy Winehouse, could've survived a little longer they possibly could've gained just enough wisdom or clarity to carry them through. But maybe I'm wrong.

From memory as much as nevermind was massive and nirvana were the up and comping new kids on the block by the time they released inutero which got average reviews they were starting to become another here today gone tomorrow band. Music seemed like it was travelling at a fast pace because of the amount of bands emerging and genres that were opening up.

Edited by Sydney Fan

5 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

From memory as much as nevermind was massive and nirvana were the up and comping new kids on the block by the time they released inutero which got average reviews they were starting to become another here today gone tomorrow band. Music seemed like it was travelling at a fast pace because of the amount of bands emerging and genres that were opening up.

Popular music has always been like that, it's insidiously cruel to those unwilling or unable to adapt. The best advice to a musician is to be wise with your money if you have any success at all.  Because the hard truth is that it won't last.  But most don't heed this advice.  

16 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Popular music has always been like that, it's insidiously cruel to those unwilling or unable to adapt. The best advice to a musician is to be wise with your money if you have any success at all.  Because the hard truth is that it won't last.  But most don't heed this advice.  

True, and if things dont last theres always avocado farming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

I really used to like Nivanas music, but always cringed when Cobain opened his mouth.  it's like "hey we just sold out this show in a 3000 seat theater and we can all have a good time, but if this was a 30000 seat area filled, then that would suck.  

corporate sucks but I'm on the same label as GNR

anything popular sucks, except Nirvana  

Being like those other bands sucks but I make music videos to increase my popularity and do the same drugs and go to the same popular awards shows as the unoriginal bands I hate 

that crap got old really quick and I thought that guy did nothing but contradict himself and make himself sound like a whiny bitch.  

I wonder what Cobain would have thought of the Foo Fighters?

That's a good question considering that he and Grohl were barely tolerable of each other.  Some people rag on Grohl but he is a talented mother, just as much or more so than Cobain, imo.  The guy no one ever mentions is Krist Novoselic, and if they do it's usually in reference to him almost knocking himself out with the bass toss at the AMAs in '92.😄

3 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

I really used to like Nivanas music, but always cringed when Cobain opened his mouth.  it's like "hey we just sold out this show in a 3000 seat theater and we can all have a good time, but if this was a 30000 seat area filled, then that would suck.  

corporate sucks but I'm on the same label as GNR

anything popular sucks, except Nirvana  

Being like those other bands sucks but I make music videos to increase my popularity and do the same drugs and go to the same popular awards shows as the unoriginal bands I hate 

that crap got old really quick and I thought that guy did nothing but contradict himself and make himself sound like a whiny bitch.  

I wonder what Cobain would have thought of the Foo Fighters?

I think he was just very conflicted once they had all this immediate success and became so big. He wanted the band to make it big but I think he didn't realize what all that entailed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think he was just very conflicted once they had all this immediate success and became so big. He wanted the band to make it big but I think he didn't realize what all that entailed. 

I sometimes wonder if he just wanted the band to be as popular but not commercial like other bands......popular but in an underground kind of way like the sonic youths or mudhoneys. Then again the relationship with kurt and courtney was becoming like tommy lee and pamela anderson. His relationship was taking the focus off his band.

Edited by Sydney Fan

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think this is true, they were still really popular, but for example Pearl Jam surpassed them in popularity. Pearl Jam barely promoted their second record, which came out at the same time as In Utero, not even making a video for it or doing much press for it, and it still sold better than Nirvana's record that got promoted a lot. But then when Kurt passed he became legendary and Nirvana became bigger than ever again.

7 hours ago, lame ass security said:

more so than Cobain, imo. 

That is subjective, and as a musician he's probably more talented, but as a songwriter not so much.

• Like 1

GN'R and Nirvana had come close to playing a show together in New Zealand in early 1992. Dave Grohl said in a late 1991 interview with an Australian outlet that although Nirvana didn't want to do a "massive tour," they wouldn't mind an one-off with GN'R and that "it would be fun.":

-------

Grohl: "IT'S kind of amusing that all these bands want us to open up for them but there's absolutely no f**king way we'd ever do it. People tell us, 'Oh, you guys are number nine on the Billboard charts in America'. And wow, we don't jump around and laugh and jump for joy. We just sort of say, 'Oh.' But when some one says, 'Yeah, Rush want you to tour with them,' we burst out laughing and roll on the floor."
"BUT actually you know what? Someone asked us if we would open for Guns n' Roses in New Zealand and I think we're going to play one show with Guns n' Roses in New Zealand at some festival or something. We just wanted to make sure, like, OK, that we never play with some massive cock rock band all over America. That would just ruin it. So, when someone said you have a chance to play one show with Guns n' Roses in New Zealand in front of 40,000 people, we thought oh that might be kind of fun."
 THAT show can't have been too much surprise. Both bands are to be in this part of the world at the same time early next year and, besides, Axl went backstage to see the band when they played in Los Angeles. [Interview with Murray Engleheart, Drum Media, November 1991]

https://www.livenirvana.com/interviews/9111me/index.php

-------

But GN'R's plans changed along the way and their Australia/New Zealand tour was postponed for the next year. And, probably, that festival in New Zealand didn't happen, as Nirvana did their own show there in 1992. From a later, updated version of the same Dave Grohl interview:

---------

Grohl: "It's kind of amusing that all these bands want us to open for them, but there's absolutely no way we'd ever do it. People tell us we're number nine on the Billboard charts in America and we don't jump up around and laugh or jump for joy; we just sort of shrug it off. When someone says a band like Rush want us to tour with them, we burst out laughing!

"But actually, you know what? Someone asked us if we would open for Guns N' Roses, so I think we're going to play one show in New Zealand at some festival or something. That kind of thing is okay. We just wanted to make sure that we never play with some massive travelling cock-rock show all over America. That would just ruin the whole touring experience. So playing a single show with Guns N' Roses in New Zealand in front of forty thousand people, that might be kind of fun."

That event now seems to be off as Guns N' Roses won't be in this part of the world as planned. But the show probably wouldn't have been much of a surprise. Axl went backstage to see Nirvana in Los Angeles and expressed an interest in 'hanging out' with them. [Dave Grohl interview with Murray Engleheart, January 1992]

https://www.livenirvana.com/interviews/9201me/index.php

8 hours ago, lame ass security said:

That's a good question considering that he and Grohl were barely tolerable of each other.  Some people rag on Grohl but he is a talented mother, just as much or more so than Cobain, imo.  The guy no one ever mentions is Krist Novoselic, and if they do it's usually in reference to him almost knocking himself out with the bass toss at the AMAs in '92.😄

I find funny that Slash says " Axl and Kurt had some issues, but Dave Grohl is in my album with Duff, at least one member of Nirvana didn't hate me"  very ingenious for Slash part :lol:

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

GN'R and Nirvana had come close to playing a show together in New Zealand in early 1992. Dave Grohl said in a late 1991 interview with an Australian outlet that although Nirvana didn't want to do a "massive tour," they wouldn't mind an one-off with GN'R and that "it would be fun.":

-------

Grohl: "IT'S kind of amusing that all these bands want us to open up for them but there's absolutely no f**king way we'd ever do it. People tell us, 'Oh, you guys are number nine on the Billboard charts in America'. And wow, we don't jump around and laugh and jump for joy. We just sort of say, 'Oh.' But when some one says, 'Yeah, Rush want you to tour with them,' we burst out laughing and roll on the floor."
"BUT actually you know what? Someone asked us if we would open for Guns n' Roses in New Zealand and I think we're going to play one show with Guns n' Roses in New Zealand at some festival or something. We just wanted to make sure, like, OK, that we never play with some massive cock rock band all over America. That would just ruin it. So, when someone said you have a chance to play one show with Guns n' Roses in New Zealand in front of 40,000 people, we thought oh that might be kind of fun."
 THAT show can't have been too much surprise. Both bands are to be in this part of the world at the same time early next year and, besides, Axl went backstage to see the band when they played in Los Angeles. [Interview with Murray Engleheart, Drum Media, November 1991]

https://www.livenirvana.com/interviews/9111me/index.php

-------

But GN'R's plans changed along the way and their Australia/New Zealand tour was postponed for the next year. And, probably, that festival in New Zealand didn't happen, as Nirvana did their own show there in 1992. From a later, updated version of the same Dave Grohl interview:

---------

Grohl: "It's kind of amusing that all these bands want us to open for them, but there's absolutely no way we'd ever do it. People tell us we're number nine on the Billboard charts in America and we don't jump up around and laugh or jump for joy; we just sort of shrug it off. When someone says a band like Rush want us to tour with them, we burst out laughing!

"But actually, you know what? Someone asked us if we would open for Guns N' Roses, so I think we're going to play one show in New Zealand at some festival or something. That kind of thing is okay. We just wanted to make sure that we never play with some massive travelling cock-rock show all over America. That would just ruin the whole touring experience. So playing a single show with Guns N' Roses in New Zealand in front of forty thousand people, that might be kind of fun."

That event now seems to be off as Guns N' Roses won't be in this part of the world as planned. But the show probably wouldn't have been much of a surprise. Axl went backstage to see Nirvana in Los Angeles and expressed an interest in 'hanging out' with them. [Dave Grohl interview with Murray Engleheart, January 1992]

https://www.livenirvana.com/interviews/9201me/index.php

Interesting grohl says guns are cock rock when foo fighters are being classified as dad rock.😄

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Interesting grohl says guns are cock rock when foo fighters are being classified as dad rock.😄

Grohl has been a huge AC/DC fan (he talks about it even in that same 1991 interview) and likes many other bands that fit the "cock rock" definition. So I guess he was just talking along the lines of Nirvana as a band.

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think this is true, they were still really popular, but for example Pearl Jam surpassed them in popularity. Pearl Jam barely promoted their second record, which came out at the same time as In Utero, not even making a video for it or doing much press for it, and it still sold better than Nirvana's record that got promoted a lot. But then when Kurt passed he became legendary and Nirvana became bigger than ever again.

That is subjective, and as a musician he's probably more talented, but as a songwriter not so much.

Spot on, I was talking more as a musician.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Spot on, I was talking more as a musician.

He considered himself musically retarded and always went on about how much he sucked as a guitar player. 

And he was far from great, but he had his own style and influenced a lot of kids by showing them that you didn't need to be a technical wizard to still make some cool music, so at the end of the day he is still a lot more influential as a guitarist than Grohl.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2019 at 7:18 PM, Ratam said:

In the  Goldberg book about Kurt Cobain , he hint that KC was a bit poser. He ask to Courtny Love if Kurt was ambitious guy, and she respond yes, but Kurt hide it.

This isn't really something that needs hinting at, its pretty much declared in every biography of Kurts thats ever come about.  You don't just accidentally one day find yourself on a major record label and/or MTV, you kinda push for it a fair bit.  In Kurts defence he did say the reason he did it was to get major label distribution i.e. your record gets to a wider audience but on the flipside bands have come and been indie and stayed indie and still become pretty massive, take The Smiths for example, they were on Rough Trade for pretty much the entirity of their existence and they had/have a huge following. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

This isn't really something that needs hinting at, its pretty much declared in every biography of Kurts thats ever come about.  You don't just accidentally one day find yourself on a major record label and/or MTV, you kinda push for it a fair bit.  In Kurts defence he did say the reason he did it was to get major label distribution i.e. your record gets to a wider audience but on the flipside bands have come and been indie and stayed indie and still become pretty massive, take The Smiths for example, they were on Rough Trade for pretty much the entirity of their existence and they had/have a huge following. 

i agree  that you not need hint, but these words about Kurt "hint" his ambition , was said for Courtney Love to Goldberg. I'm not said it, but i even though that Kurt was a little poser too. 

I think if you weren't around in the 90's it might be hard to appreciate the sort of Gen-X mentality of a band's popularity being directly inverse to it's worthiness and credibility. 

That tension and dynamic between bands, fans and the music press informed a lot of that scene. None of the grunge bands were really comfortable with fame but that didn't mean they didn't want success. I wouldn't single out Kurt as being fake. 

Edited by Ant
  • GNFNR 1

It's no secret that those bands wanted to be successful. When you release a record you want people to listen to it, and when you sign to a major label, there's a good chance a lot of people will listen to it. But to go from indie level to superstardom in such a short time must have been confusing. Especially for someone as intense as Cobain, who literally went from being homeless and living in his car when Nevermind came out, to having a number one record in just a couple of months.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Ratam said:

i agree  that you not need hint, but these words about Kurt "hint" his ambition , was said for Courtney Love to Goldberg. I'm not said it, but i even though that Kurt was a little poser too. 

I'm not sure whether or not he was a poser, I wouldn't care to hazard a guess in that regard but what I can say is that he did provide a line of reasoning in regards to the issue i.e. 'we only want to be on a major label because of the distribution as 90% of what goes on on major record labels is a bunch of horseshit', thats fair enough, its the nature of the beast and a concept that everybody from writers, to painters, to actors have to reconcile themselves with, creative endeavour oftentimes requires having to deal with what are often quite distasteful aspects of the industry surrounding these pursuits. 

With all that said perhaps he was a poser, perhaps he wasn't, I'm not sure how I could really accurately ascertain such a thing regarding anybody.  At any rate I'm not sure that it matters either, it could be argued fairly rationaly that all performers are posers to a point.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1