Slash talks about Nirvana in Kerrang's tribute feature

Blackstar

48 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

With all that said perhaps he was a poser, perhaps he wasn't, I'm not sure how I could really accurately ascertain such a thing regarding anybody.  At any rate I'm not sure that it matters either, it could be argued fairly rationaly that all performers are posers to a point.

What's a poser anyway? :question:

I have no idea :popcorn:

IMO, Kurt was pretty real and he was fucked up and he died under his own terms.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm not sure whether or not he was a poser, I wouldn't care to hazard a guess in that regard but what I can say is that he did provide a line of reasoning in regards to the issue i.e. 'we only want to be on a major label because of the distribution as 90% of what goes on on major record labels is a bunch of horseshit', thats fair enough, its the nature of the beast and a concept that everybody from writers, to painters, to actors have to reconcile themselves with, creative endeavour oftentimes requires having to deal with what are often quite distasteful aspects of the industry surrounding these pursuits. 

With all that said perhaps he was a poser, perhaps he wasn't, I'm not sure how I could really accurately ascertain such a thing regarding anybody.  At any rate I'm not sure that it matters either, it could be argued fairly rationaly that all performers are posers to a point.

my point about Kurt was that he wasn't such rebel as the people use to show Kurt, maybe "poser" isn't right word, this that you says about the record label show like practical person him was. He mocked of Axl, but i don't think he was waay different that Axl, his attitude to Axl was very childish too. Perhaps i never bought too much the idealism that people put in his figure. True ,we all are posers ,and artists too. My opinion about he just was a cause the people always counterbalance Kurt vs Axl, and Kurt is always the "hero".

• Like 1

One speculation that I never understand is that Axl and KC would have resolved their differences and be friends today.  Axl has thankfully had the privilege to grow older and wiser, KC didn't. The 2 are inherently as different as their music and I doubt would have ever resolved those differences. If Kurt were still alive I don't think GnR would be making guest appearances during a Nirvana show. 

57 minutes ago, Ratam said:

my point about Kurt was that he wasn't such rebel as the people use to show Kurt, maybe "poser" isn't right word, this that you says about the record label show like practical person him was. He mocked of Axl, but i don't think he was waay different that Axl, his attitude to Axl was very childish too. Perhaps i never bought too much the idealism that people put in his figure. True ,we all are posers ,and artists too. My opinion about he just was a cause the people always counterbalance Kurt vs Axl, and Kurt is always the "hero".

Kurt is on record as saying they were similar to GnR i.e. derivative and dysfunctional.

31 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

One speculation that I never understand is that Axl and KC would have resolved their differences and be friends today.  Axl has thankfully had the privilege to grow older and wiser, KC didn't. The 2 are inherently as different as their music and I doubt would have ever resolved those differences. If Kurt were still alive I don't think GnR would be making guest appearances during a Nirvana show. 

I don't know if they are that different. Both come from a small town, outcasts, a bit of white trash background probably, reclusives. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't know if they are that different. Both come from a small town, outcasts, a bit of white trash background probably, reclusives. 

By their vast differences I was really alluding to Kurt not overcoming mental disease. I don't know that Axl has or has ever had a mental disease but we all know of his challenges and struggles. Axl to me is someone with great strength that is capable of overcoming any obstacle and symbolizes hope. Kurt does not. Even in 91 when all was spiraling down for Axl personally and Nirvana growing in popularity, I never saw hope in KC. I only saw depression and trouble. 

4 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

By their vast differences I was really alluding to Kurt not overcoming mental disease. I don't know that Axl has or has ever had a mental disease but we all know of his challenges and struggles. Axl to me is someone with great strength that is capable of overcoming any obstacle and symbolizes hope. Kurt does not. Even in 91 when all was spiraling down for Axl personally and Nirvana growing in popularity, I never saw hope in KC. I only saw depression and trouble. 

Ok, well, I can't say anything about that, I'm not a shrink nor do I know enough about their mental illnesses but that's incomparable anyway. Kurt did have a very serious heroin addiction which obviously didn't help, had Axl taken that route, who knows how he would have ended up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I don't think Kurt Cobain emanated only despair, hopelessness and depression. There were instances, interviews etc. where he came off as positive. After his death everything he said and did was interpreted in hindsight, but before that there wasn't anything in his public persona that was particularly alarming - or, at least, not more alarming in comparison to others (Axl, for example, since we're making the comparison) - that would make a fan and, in general, anyone who didn't know him personally say "this guy is certainly gonna self destruct" or "he's gonna kill himself."

The combination of mental condition and drug abuse was probably fatal, but, had he overcome that, no one can really say what he would have developed into in regards of sorting out whatever differences he had with anyone. And those differences or feud with Axl were also magnified in hindsight after his death.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 7:37 AM, Blackstar said:

SLASH, GUNS N’ ROSES

“It was kinda lame that music writers at the start of the ‘90s could only create an identity for the Seattle bands by setting them up as anti-Guns N’ Roses. I know writers like to consider the whole ‘birth of grunge’ as the death knell for Guns, but we were so big at that point that the emergence of the grunge bands didn’t really matter to us.”

The two biggest bands in the world in the fall of 1991 were Guns N' Roses and Metallica. MTV, in attempt to finish off the hair metal movement that had started in the mid 80's, introduced Nirvana first, then other alt/grunge bands like Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots. They kept GN'R and Metallica in their rotation at the time so as not to completely alienate the hard rock/metal audience that had provided them with big ratings in the latter part of the 80's. But let's face it: Metallica's "Black" album had already alienated a large core of it's original fanbase because the intensity that was the cornerstone of their music in the 80's was all but wiped away; and GN'R's 'Use Your Illusion' records, while glorious in parts, felt bloated in others. It was not 'Appetite For Destruction, Parts II and III'.

What made matters worse, in what should have been the greatest double bill in rock history, the Guns N' Roses/Metallica tour was marred by Axl's inability to show up on time, Izzy quitting the band,  the bombast of having backup singers and a horn section on stage, the lavish after-parties, and the worsening drug habits of Slash. It all culminated at the Montreal show after Hetfield burned his arm on stage, forcing Guns to start their show earlier.

It's the aftermath of that show, in my opinion, is what propelled the alt/grunge movement to the forefront at that time. Later, it would be the inability to get a new album done and the departures of Slash and Duff that would kill rock and roll for the remainder of the 90's.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ratam said:

Oh thank you, i not know it. At least somewhere had recognition for GNR :D

"Still, Kurt admits Nirvana could learn a thing or two from Guns N’ Roses. 'They fuck things up and then they sit back and look at what they fucked up and then try to figure out how they can fix it,' he says, "whereas we fuck things up and just dwell on it and make it even worse." 

KN: "No, we didn't call him 'gay', 'cause I don't think we'd ever use 'gay' as a derogatory term, you know what I mean? It's weird, there's some kind of weird feud that started - I think Axl started talking some nonsense onstage in Florida, he said some mean things. Then, when we were at the MTV Video Music Awards and Kurt & Courtney said something to him, - I think Kurt was holding their baby and Courtney said, like, 'Axl, you're gonna be the Godfather! You're gonna be the Godfather!' He got mad and told them to shut up. Then one thing led to another, it was really silly, and then we said some nasty things about him at a show in Portland, Oregon. It was a benefit show for the No On 9, this measure that was gonna discriminate against homosexuals in Oregon - some fascist law, you know what I mean? Franco would've been proud! And then what happened? And then he said some bad stuff about us onstage in Seattle, but he got booed, because he couldn't get away with that in our town. And we haven't heard anything else from him. It's basically really silly stuff, y'know? I think it's kinda funny, and if I can instigate more stuff, I will, just for heck of it. I'd like to meet him. I met him once briefly, y'know, 'Hi, how are you?' and that's it. But I'd like to meet with him and maybe discuss things, resolve a few things, maybe engage in some kind of dialogue. Maybe we can have some negotiations mediated by David Geffen in his office, y'know? We'll have our list of demands and they'll have their list of demands, and through ssome process of elimination we'll find common ground and - it'll probably hold like a Sarajevo ceasefire, but it'll be worth a try." 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

"Still, Kurt admits Nirvana could learn a thing or two from Guns N’ Roses. 'They fuck things up and then they sit back and look at what they fucked up and then try to figure out how they can fix it,' he says, "whereas we fuck things up and just dwell on it and make it even worse." 

KN: "No, we didn't call him 'gay' 'cause I don't think we'd ever use 'gay' as a derogatory term, you know what I mean? It's weird, there's some kind of weird feud that started - I think Axl started talking some nonsense onstage in Florida, he said some mean things. Then,  we were at the MTV Video Music Awards and Kurt & Courtney said something to him, like, Kurt was holding their baby and Courtney said, like, 'Axl, will you be the Godfather? You can be the Godfather!' He got mad and told them to shut up. One thing led to another, it was really silly, and then we said some nasty things about him at a show in Portland, Oregon. It was a benefit show for the No On 9 - this measure that was gonna discriminate against homosexuals in Oregon - some fascist law, you know what I mean? Franco would've been proud! And then what happened? And then he said some bad stuff about us onstage in Seattle, but he got booed, because he couldn't get away with that in our town. And we haven't heard anything else from him. It's basically really silly stuff, y'know? I think it's kinda funny, and if I can instigate more stuff, I will, just for heck of it! I'd like to meet him. I met him once briefly, y'know, 'Hi, how are you?' and that's it. but I'd like to meet with him and maybe discuss things, resolve a few things, maybe engage in some sort of dialogue. Maybe we can have some negotiations mediated by David Geffen in his office, y'know? We'll have our list of demands and they'll have their list of demands, and through the process of elimination we'll find common ground and - it'll probably hold some Sarajevo ceasefire, but it'll be worth a try." 

Interesting,  here Kurt seem to be well disposed toward Axl and GNR, is very true that the press exaggerate enough anything. 

Sorry now realized with the video this was Kris  Novoselic ,isn't was Kurt said it. But same is interesting.

Edited by Ratam
Error

I don't think Axl and Kurt would have mended fences today. 

It took Axl decades and a good chunk of money to finally accept Slash back, so why would he seek peace with Kurt?

Axl still has many people on the black list. People with whom he ended in bad terms and have not talked to them again. Scott Weiland died and I don't think he solved his stuff with Axl.

Not exactly an example of a forgiving person.

my perception as a young teen in 1992 was that  Axl  had an attitude of "I know who I am and I wont let others bring me down".  i also looked at him as a guy who was raised in a not so good environment but got himself out of it.  And he even tried to pull others up with him (Shannon Hoon).  a few years ago I heard him give a pretty inspiring talk/ rant on YouTube during the UYI tour a out not letting others tell you who to be, etc.  I loved that he carried the message of "dont let others be the boss of your life.   Be you" - atleast I perceived his message to be that.  

with Kurt I felt like he was a mentally troubled druggie who basically blamed others for his shitty upbringing or whatever.   Talking shit about other people to bring them down only made him look like an idiot in my eyes.    There was nothing positive about him other than talking about his newest record coming out.  

I'm obviously looking at this through a GNR fanboy lens, but looking back now as an adult I think I was pretty accurate

as far as Axl and Kurt being friends now, who knows?  i suppose we could ask Marc Cantor to see how forgiving Axl is. 

I still cant figure out what Kurt's issue with GNR was?  same industry, same label, same airplay on MTV, and alot of the same fans.   I get that not everyone wants to be Axl Rose.   But if you would listen to Axl you dont have to be him to be cool or happy.   just be you.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

with Kurt I felt like he was a mentally troubled druggie who basically blamed others for his shitty upbringing or whatever

Who you mean by "others"?

I don't know of any normal person who was able to upbring themselves. Usually upbringing is in charge of "others", isn't it?

On 17/04/2019 at 2:20 AM, Len Cnut said:

I'm not sure whether or not he was a poser, I wouldn't care to hazard a guess in that regard but what I can say is that he did provide a line of reasoning in regards to the issue i.e. 'we only want to be on a major label because of the distribution as 90% of what goes on on major record labels is a bunch of horseshit', thats fair enough, its the nature of the beast and a concept that everybody from writers, to painters, to actors have to reconcile themselves with, creative endeavour oftentimes requires having to deal with what are often quite distasteful aspects of the industry surrounding these pursuits. 

I feel he was a poser. Was against mainstream success but yet when he married courtney and francis his daughter was born,  he was more than happy to be photographed by papparazi at certain music award shows with ourtney and francis together and be part of that scene.

I remember reading interviews back in the day, the band signed with geffen was because he wanted a major distribution making sure his records were distributed to small towns and stores in small and far flung locations, like where he grew up.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...