The Mandalorian (Star Wars TV show)

luciusfunk

In addition to this show, the launch of Disney’s streaming service also includes all of the previous Star Wars movies upscaled to 4K!

The new versions of the original trilogy films in particular were done by taking new 4K scans of the 1997 master tapes (so the “grainy, gritty” coloring is back) and then adding the DVD/Blu-ray changes “on top” of them, along with a few new changes that Lucas himself apparently demanded. I guess he sees the original trilogy as his Mona Lisa. He never wants to stop working on it.

So we now have five different versions of the original trilogy, each with their own unique set of changes: 1977-1983 (originals), 1997 (special editions), 2004 (dvd), 2011 (Blu-ray), and now 2019 (4K).

Edited by rocknroll41

Finally got around to watching The Mandalorian. First time since watching the original Star Wars trilogy as a kid that I feel it's not either complete shit and a waste of time or at least partially terrible.

Finally they got the tone right and casting Pedro Pascal was the right choice imo. While a lot of people are responsible for it being good it feels like the magic touch of Jon Favreau. If the main character wears a metal helmet of some kind, Favreau is your guy.

Sucks that each episode is so short but Star Wars is fun again to watch. I kinda gave up on it cause the new movies were so consistently bad. They should let Favreau take over completely imo.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

Finally got around to watching The Mandalorian. First time since watching the original Star Wars trilogy as a kid that I feel it's not either complete shit and a waste of time or at least partially terrible.

Finally they got the tone right and casting Pedro Pascal was the right choice imo. While a lot of people are responsible for it being good it feels like the magic touch of Jon Favreau. If the main character wears a metal helmet of some kind, Favreau is your guy.

Sucks that each episode is so short but Star Wars is fun again to watch. I kinda gave up on it cause the new movies were so consistently bad. They should let Favreau take over completely imo.

Glad someone else is discussing this. It is the best Star Wars thing I've seen since the original trilogy. Star Wars done as a spaghetti western.  

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 8:19 AM, Rovim said:

21 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Glad someone else is discussing this. It is the best Star Wars thing I've seen since the original trilogy. Star Wars done as a spaghetti western.  

Moved these to thread that was started for this show. I'm hoping it'll spark conversation since I'm certain others are watching it. 

• Like 1

I'm watching it and really liking it as well. Third episode tomorrow! :) Disney + is not available in Sweden yet so I'm using torrents and am glad that I do because there are spoilers all over the internet which would have pissed me off. 

A lot of credit I think should go to Dave Filoni too. It's rumoured that Favreu/Filoni will be head cheifs at Disney Star Wars in the future and I'd say there's a pretty good chance that they'll create a lot of good stuff. Exciting as they really seem to "get" it.

Music's top notch at well. I

• Like 1

Watched the two episodes last night and it’s pretty good so far. Definitely sits in with the original trilogy and Rogue One rather than the prequels or sequels. 

Looking forward to episode 3!

I will have a bitch about Disney posting spoilers all over their social media when not all countries have Disney+ yet. Australia only just got it and they’ve posted the spoiler of the reveal of the end of episode 1, before many of us had seen it, myself included! 

Thats pretty poor form!

Just saw episode 4.

Loved this episode! Bryce Dallas Howard did a great job directing. This show really is the best thing since ESB, and is truly the future of starwars. Finally, the franchise seems to be moving in a new direction that feels more “natural.”

As others have said, the way they positioned the ATST in such a big and frightening way felt so ingenious, as did the water hole trap.

Also, minor side note; were the two villagers who first approached Mando meant to be a homage to the Kurosawa “Hidden Fortress” characters that inspired R2 and 3PO? That was my first thought, at least.

Overall, the show is getting better and better with each new episode! Here’s hoping it continues to be that way.

Edited by rocknroll41

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Four was a remake of The Seven Samurai

Ah. That’s why it felt familiar.

i know that there are many spiritual remakes of Seven Samurai, but I’m pretty sure the first two villagers in particular are a homage to the main duo from Hidden Fortress. Could be wrong, tho.

Edited by rocknroll41

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Ah. That’s why it felt familiar.

i know that there are many spiritual remakes of Seven Samurai, but I’m pretty sure the first two villagers in particular are a homage to the main duo from Hidden Fortress. Could be wrong, tho.

It is all the Seven Samurai. Beat for beat remake actually except there are two of them, not seven. It is a sort of streamlined Seven Samurai I suppose? Even the scene where they infiltrate the marauders' camp is The Seven Samurai. The end, with them dreaming of being farmers and living in this bucolic fantasy only to walk-off (because that is what they are!) is Seven Samurai

The Hidden Fortress influenced A New Hope

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is all the Seven Samurai. Beat for beat remake actually except there are two of them, not seven. It is a sort of streamlined Seven Samurai I suppose? Even the scene where they infiltrate the marauders' camp is The Seven Samurai. The end, with them dreaming of being farmers and living in this bucolic fantasy only to walk-off (because that is what they are!) is Seven Samurai

The Hidden Fortress influenced A New Hope

Gotchya. Thanks for clearing that up! Pretty cool how much of an influence Kurosawa has had on starwars.

Episode 1 is incredible! I just got my subscription and its looking like my day is shot while I play catch up - clear my schedule! :lol:

Hey Disney, what about making all Star Wars this Star Wars-y? Just a thought.

Even the end credits are must watch, that is beautiful art work.

Music was okay, really great in spots, other times its certainly no John Williams, but cool in its own way.

Im a rare Clone Wars (movie) fan so the baby yoda was very reminiscent of baby hut. I like that the tie ins arent all OT (although Life Day? Really? :lol:). And with the mando history being part of the plot, and with Clone Wars series coming back (it had a mando arch), its kinda all settling into place for me. I know this part of the galaxy!! 

I think George Lucas was in the carbon freeze in the bit towards the beginning of the episode????

Episode 2 is incredible!! It feels so Clone Wars series. I get its Filoni involved and its episodic TV so theres bound to be some similarities, but like Notles character, the mission for the egg, the music - its all so clone wars.

So far all the missions are of consequence, so that must have blown Rians mind :lol:

Didnt know that Jawas disintegrated.

Episode 3 was good. Is Ke$ha one of the bounty hunters in the background in the cantina? That threw me. And after watching Carl Weathers in Arrested Development its hard for me to not see him in a comedic sense. Also taking me out of the moment is the electric guitar theme. The guitars sound like the fake electric guitar sounds on Garage Band! I dont want anything that I can make at home on my own in Star Wars!

Its really cool to get more into the religion of the Mandos. And the very Star Wars theme of trauma. Trauma through warfare, occupation, and broken family ties. 

Will 'baby yoda' be a Mando foundling??

Epic battle too!!! :headbang:

Episode 4 is the best yet!! Baby "yoda" is cute af. It reminded me of the Clone Wars season 1 ep 14 "the defenders of peace" episode a bit, including that their homes look similar in both villages. The farmers being attacked by the high tech of the empire, etc. It also reminded me of Robin Hood. And... Caravan of Courage??? Wha?

Theres that ongoing Star Wars thing of 'why didnt 'yoda' use the force as part of the battle?' but whatever.

Im so pumped!!

Edited by soon

Just saw Episode 5...

I think this was the first episode that I didn’t really enjoy all that much. As nice as it was to see tattooine again (along with all of the planet references and the “no good to us dead” line), I feel like this episode didn’t really “build” towards anything like the first four did, aside from that little tease at the end (hopefully that’s boba). Also the acting from the woman was a little weird, and the gunslinger kid was annoying.

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Just saw Episode 5...

I think this was the first episode that I didn’t really enjoy all that much. As nice as it was to see tattooine again (along with all of the planet references and the “no good to us dead” line), I feel like this episode didn’t really “build” towards anything like the first four did, aside from that little tease at the end (hopefully that’s boba). Also the acting from the woman was a little weird, and the gunslinger kid was annoying.

I really enjoyed it. I liked all the references and locations - figured it'd be like E.D meds for boomer fans, lol. Also the mechanic seemed like an East Coast Canadian and I love it there, so that was just kinda heart warming.

But I agree about the assassin and the kid being 'off.' With the kid I kept thinking 'this is the type of character and dialogue that I figured they scrapped from the first version of SOLO.' To the extent that I was actually wondering if they salvaged some of that writing and transplanted it to create that character.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Just saw Episode 5...

I'm really glad others felt this way. When you're doing 32 minute episodes, there's really no excuse for a filler episode and that's exactly what this was. REALLY disappointing episode. 

• Like 1

On 15-4-2019 at 3:41 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

Anything is better than Peppa Pig.

My exact reasoning to consider Disney+ as well! :D We enjoyed the free trial, but not sure about getting a subscription yet. Mostly because the main reason to get it is still 2 years old and not sure about Disney yet. 

About the Guild. Some Bounty Hunters, such as the droid, were told that baby yoda was a kill mission. But Mando was told it was capture, but maybe kill if need be. Which is in contrast to what his boss told him, which was purely 'capture.'

How did these discrepancies come to be?

Was the capture part only ever a lie to calm the Dr? But then, could he do the work he was interested in on a daed baby yoda? It seems not, based on the exchange with him and his boss 'do what you want quickly, I cant hold them off' (paraphrased).

Was the Guild Boss in on something? Is he working for good to save baby yoda?

Is there two separate Guilds now, in the aftermath of the fallen empire? I ask because none of his fellow guild members seem to have attempted to kill baby yoda even though they've had plenty of chances. We only know for certain that the droid was sent on a kill mission. Is the droid from a different guild?

Edited by soon

Even just the thumbnail for ch 6 looks amazing! Cant wait to watch this :headbang:

Ch 7 will arrive early next week, on Wednesday, and will include a TROS teaser.

EDIT: Ch 6 is epic!!

Spoiler

I really didnt think that Bill Burr would work out, but it did imho.

That chick reminds me of my church camp sweetheart. Daggers and all! :lol:

That was Dave Filonni piloting the one X Wing!!!

I dont understand if its implied that this was all baby yodas plan? Nor if his force powers contributed to destroying that droid?

Edited by soon