New Slash interview: New album hasn't started yet

8 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

What?  Where is that info from?  Does that seem rational to you?  The record company "refused to hear" CD2?  I hope for your sake that you just made that up as opposed to someone else made that up and you are repeating it because it sounds plausible to you.

Happens all of the time. Especially when a band is trying to renegotiate an advance, the label realizing a prenegotiated advance would lose them $ or the guaranteed marketing spend that’s contractualy guaranteed from the label is too much 

There certainly was a number/resources that UMG wasn’t going to commit for a new GNR record in 2010-2012 when you couple the band’s popularity and the industry’s declining business model

1 hour ago, Edward Nygma said:

Word on the street is that UMG owners Vivendi is selling out 50% of UMG's share capital whatever that means, its worth like 50 Billion though whoever has got that hiding behind the sofa. Not sure how it will affect the artists on the label...who knows!

Guns was screwed over a bit when Geffen was first sold, iirc. Hopefully not this time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

What?  Where is that info from?  Does that seem rational to you?  The record company "refused to hear" CD2?  I hope for your sake that you just made that up as opposed to someone else made that up and you are repeating it because it sounds plausible to you.

album handed in to record label in 2010 but rejected. could have been CD2 or the remix album. 

To be honest...
I think if new music gets released (and i believe it will) they'll do it out of nowhere. One day, you open your Spotify-iTunes-Deezer wherever you want and it will be there. I know, its an idiot belief of mine, but i like the idea that they're not done yet.

With social media these days you don't need to release a single with big announcements. New GNR single with Slash and Duff back on the game, after 11yrs without new music? It will catch attention fast.

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

and it better be good

Yes...
But it's entirely subjective. Good for who? CD fans? Appetite? or maybe for UYI fans? I don't know, i just wanna listen something new at this point (Not another Loney Tunes song...)

13 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It's not 'hate' though. 

It's saying that based on years and years of experience, cynicism and skepticism abounds as to whether we will ever hear new material. That's completely natural; you'd have to be some sort of maniac to have been a fan since the 80s/90s and maintain 100 per cent conviction that new music is imminent. 

You've also got the fact that one of the key players is now saying nothing has happened in interviews. 

There seems to be two forms of dealing with this: 

1) The "things are different now" approach; one that gets touted a lot, but ultimately doesn't bear fruit. The only thing that really seems different to a lot of fans is the players in the band and that Axl seems generally more cheerful. Those alone aren't enough to convince anyone new music is on it's way. 

2) Slash is 'keeping things under wraps' and not telling the truth angle. An odd claim to make, as there is seemingly no point to pretending they're not doing anything when they actually are (especially as that's out of keeping with other non-committal comments we've heard for many years about new material).  

The 'you people aren't fans, what will you say when it happens, you'll have to eat your words' type criticism of fans is ludicrous. People are entirely justified in thinking that new music isn't on its way, as all the evidence points to that being the case. There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest we are months (or even years) away from hearing any new material. It's THAT thinking that is the most absurd. To think it is is disappointment central. People can say "I've still got hope" etc, and I'm in that camp too. I certainly hope to hear new GNR material. But a lot of people are realistic, and are looking at the big picture. 

I don't think it's fair to claim people aren't fans, or hate the band, because their mindset on new material is operating entirely in the realms of learned experience, evidence and statements rather than fantasy and wild expectations. 

Why is it odd??? It keeps pressure off of them. Don't be surprised if GNR drops an album out of nowhere like Beyonce and Eminem did. A GNR album with Slash and Duff on it for the first time in 27 years would be instantly marketable. 

57 minutes ago, Guitto said:

Yes...
But it's entirely subjective. Good for who? CD fans? Appetite? or maybe for UYI fans? I don't know, i just wanna listen something new at this point (Not another Loney Tunes song...)

I just meant good to the masses that paying attention. All eyes and ears will be on that first song that gets out there. 

• Like 1

I think it weird and incomprehensible how some folks seem to constantly confuse the ChD era with the old Guns + the new era in terms of creativity and approach to new music.

In fact, it reminds me of the same doubts and concerns regarding Axl’s "late" starts in 16. Since logically he could not do that any longer in 2016, because neither Slash, nor Duff, and especially not Angus would have put up with it – why would they? –, it was pretty clear that the starts would be on time. And they were.

As for new music, since this is not Axl’s solo project any longer, do you honestly believe the guys would be fine with just never ending tours? It looks like some people lack certain notion of time. Once they reunited, they went on the tour, which only ended a few months ago, and now Slash is taking time off after those 2–3 years, doing his solo stuff. To me, the theoretical "waiting for the new album" only started in January 2019.

And why not believe Slash? Seriously, when was the last time he was deliberately lying or fudging about a new GN’R record? If he says they want to start working in the fall, then I see no particular reason to doubt it.

As for the content, I believe it won’t be just ChD II with Slash’s guitars, as that would be kind of... dishonest. I hope we’ll get a full-on record. But we’ll see.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

I think it weird and incomprehensible how some folks seem to constantly confuse the ChD era with the old Guns + the new era in terms of creativity and approach to new music.

In fact, it reminds me of the same doubts and concerns regarding Axl’s "late" starts in 16. Since logically he could not do that any longer in 2016, because neither Slash, nor Duff, and especially not Angus would have put up with it – why would they? –, it was pretty clear that the starts would be on time. And they were.

As for new music, since this is not Axl’s solo project any longer, do you honestly believe the guys would be fine with just never ending tours? It looks like some people lack certain notion of time. Once they reunited, they went on the tour, which only ended a few months ago, and now Slash is taking time off after those 2–3 years, doing his solo stuff. To me, the theoretical "waiting for the new album" only started in January 2019.

And why not believe Slash? Seriously, when was the last time he was deliberately lying or fudging about a new GN’R record? If he says they want to start working in the fall, then I see no particular reason to doubt it.

As for the content, I believe it won’t be just ChD II with Slash’s guitars, as that would be kind of... dishonest. I hope we’ll get a full-on record. But we’ll see.

I always wondered if axl wanted the band now to work on cd2 songs and release those songs, how would that work in terms of credits for the other muscians who recorded only to have their parts redone or changed by the current lineup?. I thought a full on record would be the go to minimise any potential credit lawsuits.

Edited by Sydney Fan

10 hours ago, Draguns said:

Why is it odd??? It keeps pressure off of them. Don't be surprised if GNR drops an album out of nowhere like Beyonce and Eminem did. A GNR album with Slash and Duff on it for the first time in 27 years would be instantly marketable. 

Don't be suprised? I'd be absolutely fucking astonished if a new GNR album appeared out of nowhere and no one even knew it had been recorded. 

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

What's different (so far) about the current incarnation of the band and the CD era lineups? (other than the members obviously!)

Genuinely interested to hear what you think, as the more I think about it, the more it seems the same. All I can see is that Axl seems more cheerful (and on time, as you say) and the venues went up in size for a bit as all the casual nostalgia-hounds came sniffing around. 

Other than that? Don't get me wrong here, it's cool to have go the chance to see this lineup, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, as I did all the CD era lineups,  but in terms of operating differently? I'm yet to see any major changes. 

54 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What's different (so far) about the current incarnation of the band and the CD era lineups? (other than the members obviously!)

Genuinely interested to hear what you think, as the more I think about it, the more it seems the same. All I can see is that Axl seems more cheerful (and on time, as you say) and the venues went up in size for a bit as all the casual nostalgia-hounds came sniffing around. 

Other than that? Don't get me wrong here, it's cool to have go the chance to see this lineup, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, as I did all the CD era lineups,  but in terms of operating differently? I'm yet to see any major changes. 

Like I said – the major, fundamental thing: that this is not an Axl Rose solo project any more. Slash and Duff have a large say (we don’t know the extent, no point in speculating). So far, we’ve only witnessed touring. But in terms of what is to be done and when regarding work on a new album, this is not solely up to Axl any more. Hence my astonishment as to where so much of this scepticism is coming from. It’s just not comparable. Sure, we’re yet to see the fruits; I’m merely pointing out that now there are let’s say 3 elements in the equation as compared with the ChD era. So it’s not the same at all.

Edit: 
And I also don’t understand why people think Slash would be bullshitting us about a new album. Did he do that around AfD, Lies, UYI, or Spaghetti? Didn’t think so. 

Edited by jamillos

5 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Like I said – the major, fundamental thing: that this is not an Axl Rose solo project any more. Slash and Duff have a large say (we don’t know the extent, no point in speculating). So far, we’ve only witnessed touring. But in terms of what is to be done and when regarding work on a new album, this is not solely up to Axl any more. Hence my astonishment as to where so much of this scepticism is coming from. It’s just not comparable. Sure, we’re yet to see the fruits; I’m merely pointing out that now there are let’s say 3 elements in the equation as compared with the ChD era. So it’s not the same at all.

Edit: 
And I also don’t understand why people think Slash would be bullshitting us about a new album. Did he do that around AfD, Lies, UYI, or Spaghetti? Didn’t think so. 

That's entire speculation though - we have no idea that's the case. For all we know, all decisions are still solely up to Axl. As far as I know we've seen or heard nothing to suggest otherwise have we? 

As for the Slash bit - no one is saying he's bullshitting. Most people firmly believe him when he says no work has gone on on new material, but it might in November......or he might do SMKC if nothing is happening. That seems pretty upfront to me....so where are people getting the idea from that new material is imminent? 

Axl’s been on time since 2011 though. That’s not because Slash and Duff are back. I’d argue that NITL is the tour that had less late-starts of all their tours, but 2011-2014 was almost the same. That’s only because of the dimension of this tour and all the people and money involved etc.

However, I’d say that thanks to Slash and Duff we got the AFD remaster which was pretty awesome (and i’m not talking about “the box” and the toys that come with it but the remastered album and demos). And I’m 100% sure that we will see old UYI and AFD shows back to life on some sort of digital platform. It’s just a matter of time until the realize they can monetize all of that stuff. And that’s because the old partnership is working again (Axl/Slash/Duff).

That said, I still think that this is still nuGNR because Axl still has the last decision in almost everything. And he will be the key factor to know if we are getting new music or not. Slash may be very excited about it, but if Axl’s not on his mood we aren’t getting shit. The setlist’s been the same for almost 3 years. The only difference is that now they are selling out stadiums instead of arenas, but that will also worn off quickly if they don’t release anything.