New Slash interview: New album hasn't started yet

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

That's entire speculation though - we have no idea that's the case. For all we know, all decisions are still solely up to Axl. As far as I know we've seen or heard nothing to suggest otherwise have we? 

As for the Slash bit - no one is saying he's bullshitting. Most people firmly believe him when he says no work has gone on on new material, but it might in November......or he might do SMKC if nothing is happening. That seems pretty upfront to me....so where are people getting the idea from that new material is imminent? 

Well no, we don’t, and yes, when it comes to GN’R, it’s usually mostly speculation on our part unless we’re confirmed something; however, I’ve been going just by pure logic. I don’t see why the 2 guys would wanna return to a band with a sole "Ayatollah" at the helm. 
See, I guess it all comes down to how each of us sees the relationship between the holy trinity, with the money factor included. I just refuse to believe that they do all this just for money. You can feel that Axl and Slash became friends again. They would have made money even without the reunion, albeit much less. And just because you make shitloads of money off something it does not mean money is the only – or even the main – reason you are doing it. 
And in this spirit, the two guys must have a larger role than just re-hired guns, that just would not make any sense to me. Again, going by some basic logic; I might be wrong. 

As for the other thing, I don’t know about "imminent", I was just addressing the people not believing anything is coming at all. In fact, like I said, hardly anything could be imminent, because there simply hasn’t been enough time so far for such a huge thing to be completed already. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Well no, we don’t, and yes, when it comes to GN’R, it’s usually mostly speculation on our part unless we’re confirmed something; however, I’ve been going just by pure logic. I don’t see why the 2 guys would wanna return to a band with a sole "Ayatollah" at the helm. 
See, I guess it all comes down to how each of us sees the relationship between the holy trinity, with the money factor included. I just refuse to believe that they do all this just for money. You can feel that Axl and Slash became friends again. They would have made money even without the reunion, albeit much less. And just because you make shitloads of money off something it does not mean money is the only – or even the main – reason you are doing it. 
And in this spirit, the two guys must have a larger role than just re-hired guns, that just would not make any sense to me. Again, going by some basic logic; I might be wrong. 

As for the other thing, I don’t know about "imminent", I was just addressing the people not believing anything is coming at all. In fact, like I said, hardly anything could be imminent, because there simply hasn’t been enough time so far for such a huge thing to be completed already. 

I think that probably hits the nail on the head- we're still not totally aware what fueled this 'reunion'. The cynics would obviously "money, money, money" while others believe it's more than that. New music would certainly help clarify things in that regard. 

I don't know either - a lot of money has been made in the last couple of years, but I sure hope there's more to it than just that. 

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Pretty much following reason -

1) Ax said not so long ago, 'everybody but Slash. Most acceptable Izzy and Duff'.  Who does he play with now?  How reliable is anything Ax ever said or how much of a significance it ever had? Like - 0.

2) How much money did NITL brng him? Can he tour forever?  Now they are back to Arena type size. What other trick can he pull out of the sleeve to return to the fee's they had for NITL tour?  New album?  Maybe, but no way with this line up would that be possible.  Izzy would spare him 40% of the work on the new album and Ax was never too much of a worker.

3) Would you say no if GNR invited you back from Iz/Matt/Adler point of view?   You can bet your money they would return on their terms now, not hired hands like earlier on.

Would this all be the case, Ax turned out to be brilliant businessman.  6 years of touring without making a new album with biggest fee in the business instead of 3 years.  Hands down, brilliant move!

20 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

it means 

that axl has re-listened to his CD left overs about 40,033 times and still can't decide what to do with them 

judging CD, probably for the better...

if we say My World is the biggest shit original GNR ever recorded till '94, we can say My World is Bohemian fuckin rhapsody foe everything since

11 hours ago, jamillos said:

I think it weird and incomprehensible how some folks seem to constantly confuse the ChD era with the old Guns + the new era in terms of creativity and approach to new music.

In fact, it reminds me of the same doubts and concerns regarding Axl’s "late" starts in 16. Since logically he could not do that any longer in 2016, because neither Slash, nor Duff, and especially not Angus would have put up with it – why would they? –, it was pretty clear that the starts would be on time. And they were.

As for new music, since this is not Axl’s solo project any longer, do you honestly believe the guys would be fine with just never ending tours? It looks like some people lack certain notion of time. Once they reunited, they went on the tour, which only ended a few months ago, and now Slash is taking time off after those 2–3 years, doing his solo stuff. To me, the theoretical "waiting for the new album" only started in January 2019.

And why not believe Slash? Seriously, when was the last time he was deliberately lying or fudging about a new GN’R record? If he says they want to start working in the fall, then I see no particular reason to doubt it.

As for the content, I believe it won’t be just ChD II with Slash’s guitars, as that would be kind of... dishonest. I hope we’ll get a full-on record. But we’ll see.

My thoughts too.

What confuses me is that Axl said “we had to do this tour (referring to NITL) in order to do what’s next”

Okay, so what’s next if the next tour is already planned and they haven’t even started on an album? If the set list is the exact same in the October tour, what was the point of even saying that? Or was the promise of more $ that enthralling that more tours are a surefire without any real plan for future material? I just wish that if that’s the case the band would be more upfront about it. Journey, for example, has openly stated that they want to tour their catalog and have no plans for new music. At least they’re honest about it. Rather than Axl trying to allude to new music or something new and then almost immediately scheduling another tour that’s going to be similar in material to the NITL tour. Hell, it wouldn’t surprise me if these are just more NITL shows.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, DeadSlash said:

What?  Where is that info from?  Does that seem rational to you?  The record company "refused to hear" CD2?  I hope for your sake that you just made that up as opposed to someone else made that up and you are repeating it because it sounds plausible to you.

Well Fortus stated that he did most of his work on the follow up the Chinese Democracy. The label refused it like they did Chinese Democracy in hopes for a reunion which happened.

This might be just me but from the interviews I've read from Slash over the past few years, I don't get the feeling that GnR is his band. He doesn't talk about Guns in the same way that he talks about SMKC. There is no sense of ownership from him like in the past when he referred to GnR as "my band". The subtext I get from his words seems to suggest more of a handsomely paid hired gun with some high level managerial/creative cache - he doesn't sound like a part-owner of that brand/band. Put another way, he acts like a 20-25% shareholder who sits on the board of GnR corp with Axl, the chairman, controlling 50-60% of the company.

I think that's why people feel this is just another iteration of Nu Gnr - because Axl still appears to be fully driving the band's affairs while Sluff are simply along for the ride. Hence, the non-committal answers from Slash and Duff about the future of the band with some positive prognosticating because the three partners re-discovered how much time and money they pissed away with their foolish feud. 

All that being said, Marc Canter mentioned in 2016 that the partnership is active again so who the hell knows. Given Axl's MO though, it seems highly unlikely that the old partnership has been rejuvenated without some major amendments to it so that Axl can legally continue to run the band as he sees fit without interference. @Blackstar thoughts?

• Like 2

I had a dream that Axl was in my house last night and he told me he was working on new music! It has to be true! lol

Hey Poison has been touring for the past 20 years or so with no new music, except for Brett's solo stuff.

But hey, Brett and the guys said a new album is coming out in 2020 and they will do a massive tour. 

So if Poison can do new music, you know GNR can too! lol

Let's have faith people!

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

What confuses me is that Axl said “we had to do this tour (referring to NITL) in order to do what’s next”

Okay, so what’s next if the next tour is already planned and they haven’t even started on an album? If the set list is the exact same in the October tour, what was the point of even saying that? Or was the promise of more $ that enthralling that more tours are a surefire without any real plan for future material? I just wish that if that’s the case the band would be more upfront about it. Journey, for example, has openly stated that they want to tour their catalog and have no plans for new music. At least they’re honest about it. Rather than Axl trying to allude to new music or something new and then almost immediately scheduling another tour that’s going to be similar in material to the NITL tour. Hell, it wouldn’t surprise me if these are just more NITL shows.

But you have to ask yourself this - what exactly is the upside for them to release more music? The team of Axl, Izzy, Slash, and Duff left on such a high note with UYI 1 and 2 that anything they attempt to do next will diminish their legacy and mystique if it isn't as good or better than the past. Right now, these guys are frozen in time in the public/media consciousness - why break that spell with some half-baked album of vault left-overs and one of the major songwriters (Izzy) MIA? 

In the short term they could tour bigger venues with new music but if the album isn't well received, it might diminish the brand a bit over the long haul. I suspect they're in no rush to put anything out when they can continue to sit on their laurels and milk their legacy for all it's worth. 

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

This might be just me but from the interviews I've read from Slash over the past few years, I don't get the feeling that GnR is his band. He doesn't talk about Guns in the same way that he talks about SMKC. There is no sense of ownership from him like in the past when he referred to GnR as "my band". The subtext I get from his words seems to suggest more of a handsomely paid hired gun with some high level managerial/creative cache - he doesn't sound like a part-owner of that brand/band. Put another way, he acts like a 20-25% shareholder who sits on the board of GnR corp with Axl, the chairman, controlling 50-60% of the company.

I think that's why people feel this is just another iteration of Nu Gnr - because Axl still appears to be fully driving the band's affairs while Sluff are simply along for the ride. Hence, the non-committal answers from Slash and Duff about the future of the band with some positive prognosticating because the three partners re-discovered how much time and money they pissed away with their foolish feud. 

All that being said, Marc Canter mentioned in 2016 that the partnership is active again so who the hell knows. Given Axl's MO though, it seems highly unlikely that the old partnership has been rejuvenated without some major amendments to it so that Axl can legally continue to run the band as he sees fit without interference. @Blackstar thoughts?

Yes, feels like Slash is some kinda guest musician, the way he talks about GnR these days.

I just don't buy the notion that a new record is still in it's early stages. I just don't.

I really think there's a lot done, but guys in the band don't want to say it publicly. Why? Because in 2019, if you have someone in Guns N' Roses saying they have songs done for a new record, the songs inevitably find their way online before an official release. It happened two years ahead of Chinese Democracy, and hell yeah, that hurt album sales.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the band got a new record out late this year under a fake name, like "Black Frog" or " The Fargin Bastids". Anything to combat online piracy.

12 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Axl’s been on time since 2011 though. That’s not because Slash and Duff are back. I’d argue that NITL is the tour that had less late-starts of all their tours, but 2011-2014 was almost the same. That’s only because of the dimension of this tour and all the people and money involved etc.

However, I’d say that thanks to Slash and Duff we got the AFD remaster which was pretty awesome (and i’m not talking about “the box” and the toys that come with it but the remastered album and demos). And I’m 100% sure that we will see old UYI and AFD shows back to life on some sort of digital platform. It’s just a matter of time until the realize they can monetize all of that stuff. And that’s because the old partnership is working again (Axl/Slash/Duff).

That said, I still think that this is still nuGNR because Axl still has the last decision in almost everything. And he will be the key factor to know if we are getting new music or not. Slash may be very excited about it, but if Axl’s not on his mood we aren’t getting shit. The setlist’s been the same for almost 3 years. The only difference is that now they are selling out stadiums instead of arenas, but that will also worn off quickly if they don’t release anything.

Actually that's not true. When I saw NU-GNR at the Izod Center in 2011, he was late. My date and I had to go to a wake prior to the concert. We got to the Izod Center around 8 or 9. GNR didn't go on until 10:30-11. 

7 hours ago, Billly B said:

Well Fortus stated that he did most of his work on the follow up the Chinese Democracy. The label refused it like they did Chinese Democracy in hopes for a reunion which happened.

There is no new information that tells us definitively that this was CD II vs, a remix album, is that correct?    Saying Axl finished and tried to turn in CDII but the record company "refused" to even hear it is information that came out of an ass, as opposed to a credible source, no?  A label saying "We don't want an album of remixes" vs. "sod off, we are not interested in hearing this brand new album of brand new material." are two very different things.

I believe the specter of an unhinged Axl is always looming. There are likely many instances where the band mates are walking on eggshells with regards to a new album. I think we all know how quickly Axl can foil a plan. The money is flowing so there doesn’t seem to be any urgency to push forward with a new album. Axl and only Axl is and will remain the only barrier. 

10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yes, feels like Slash is some kinda guest musician, the way he talks about GnR these days.

Which is kind of ridiculous situation in itself... because the return of this "guest musician" is the only thing that made this massive comeback tour possible in the first place. Where would Gn'R be now without NITLT happening?  

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Which is kind of ridiculous situation in itself... because the return of this "guest musician" is the only thing that made this massive comeback tour possible in the first place. Where would Gn'R be now without NITLT happening?  

With a new album out, probably

• Haha 1