New Slash interview: New album hasn't started yet

2 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Which is kind of ridiculous situation in itself... because the return of this "guest musician" is the only thing that made this massive comeback tour possible in the first place. Where would Gn'R be now without NITLT happening?  

Playing bowling alleys with DJ still in the band or vegas with the flying piano.

• Like 1

Many people on this forum are wrong when they say Guns needs a new album to do stadiums. Maybe in the US, but they could come to Europe and other parts of the world every year and fill stadiums with their current catalogue, 

Most casuals don’t want to hear new songs anyways. It would be a piss break between the hits. 

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

This might be just me but from the interviews I've read from Slash over the past few years, I don't get the feeling that GnR is his band. He doesn't talk about Guns in the same way that he talks about SMKC. There is no sense of ownership from him like in the past when he referred to GnR as "my band". The subtext I get from his words seems to suggest more of a handsomely paid hired gun with some high level managerial/creative cache - he doesn't sound like a part-owner of that brand/band. Put another way, he acts like a 20-25% shareholder who sits on the board of GnR corp with Axl, the chairman, controlling 50-60% of the company.

I think that's why people feel this is just another iteration of Nu Gnr - because Axl still appears to be fully driving the band's affairs while Sluff are simply along for the ride. Hence, the non-committal answers from Slash and Duff about the future of the band with some positive prognosticating because the three partners re-discovered how much time and money they pissed away with their foolish feud. 

All that being said, Marc Canter mentioned in 2016 that the partnership is active again so who the hell knows. Given Axl's MO though, it seems highly unlikely that the old partnership has been rejuvenated without some major amendments to it so that Axl can legally continue to run the band as he sees fit without interference. @Blackstar thoughts?

I think hes down playing what part of gnr he is but one things for sure. If slash walks the band goes straight back to theatres. Thats the ace card he has in his back pocket and axl would know this.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Many people on this forum are wrong when they say Guns needs a new album to do stadiums. Maybe in the US, but they could come to Europe and other parts of the world every year and fill stadiums with their current catalogue, 

Most casuals don’t want to hear new songs anyways. It would be a piss break between the hits. 

A lot of the stadiums struggled on the last run. I don't think a single one sold out, and there were special offers for a few of them. Arenas, they could do. 

You're right about the second point - to be honest, a lot of the album tracks people don't even seem to know! If it's not on the Greatest Hits they're not interested. That shouldn't stop any band doing new materiel though - fuck those people. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

So Slash would've come back without the tour and the massive amount of money he got from it?  Or alternatively - Axl would've released an album without Slash?

I think it was Zoot who said recently that Axl was being serious when he said he was looking seriously at putting out CD2 after Vegas, but then the reunion was put into motion, which for obvious reasons took priority. Although if CD2 was released, it's possible the reunion would have happened after that anyway, seeing as Tommy and Ron were both gone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Guns are done selling out Stadiums in the US regardless and Stadium shows suck anyway.. But I agree that new music won't have hardly any impact on album sales.. Most people going don't care about new music and just want to hear the classic material. The band has enough songs that they haven't or hardly played that they could mix up the set and make it fresh. 

• Like 2

The NITL Tour wasn't the fully fledged reunion everyone thought it was going to be. My initial feeling when news broke it was only Axl Slash & Duff plus hired guns was one of disappointment. Then like everyone else when Steven appeared I thought it was going to be a matter of time before Izzy turned up even if it was for a couple of songs. As we now know that never happened because Izzy said he wouldn't get a fair share of the money. The tour was very successful making lots of money. Now for the band to progress & do a tour on the scale of the NITL  the only way that could be as successful would be with the AFD5 line up. I just can't see people even the most die hard fans myself included being interested in anything other than a AFD5 reunion. 

13 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I think it was Zoot who said recently that Axl was being serious when he said he was looking seriously at putting out CD2 after Vegas, but then the reunion was put into motion, which for obvious reasons took priority. Although if CD2 was released, it's possible the reunion would have happened after that anyway, seeing as Tommy and Ron were both gone.

Actually what has happened to zoot?. I dont see any of zoots post anymorw?.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Majestic Beast said:

But duff,fortus have said they worked hard with new material,someone is lying.

Maybe they have been jamming or listening to stuff from The Vault () while Slash is out with SMKC? The times that a whole band is in a studio and craps out an album in 3 weeks are long gone man.

18 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Actually what has happened to zoot?. I dont see any of zoots post anymorw?.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

She still pops in from time to time :)

Just for the record, I was referring to Tom Zutaut - I didn't know there was a user here who uses that name.

• Haha 1

Has this been posted yet?

ON HOW HE DETERMINES IF A NEW RIFF IS BETTER SUITED FOR THE CONSPIRATORS OR GUNS N’ ROSES

I just focus on what I’m doing at the time. So, in other words, if I’m working with Conspirators and I’m writing new music, then I’m working on Conspirators music, especially because we do all our writing on the road, and then we go off the road and we go in the studio and record it. So that’s what I’ve been writing for, as of late. And then when Guns starts, which it’s about to, then I just focus on Guns-oriented stuff.

ON WHETHER THERE WILL BE MORE SHOWS ALONG WITH GUNS N’ ROSES RECENTLY ANNOUNCED LOUDER THAN LIFE GIG

There’s a handful of gigs that are happening at the very end of September and through October, so [Louder Than Life is] just one of them. And then it’s really just focusing on getting a new record done.

ON WHETHER THE NEW GUNS N’ ROSES ALBUM WILL SURFACE BEFORE THE NEXT CONSPIRATORS ALBUM

I would hope so! I mean that’s one of those things where it remains to be seen, but I would hope so. But we’ll see what happens.

Full itw

Edited by Nalbi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Nalbi said:

Has this been posted yet?

ON HOW HE DETERMINES IF A NEW RIFF IS BETTER SUITED FOR THE CONSPIRATORS OR GUNS N’ ROSES

I just focus on what I’m doing at the time. So, in other words, if I’m working with Conspirators and I’m writing new music, then I’m working on Conspirators music, especially because we do all our writing on the road, and then we go off the road and we go in the studio and record it. So that’s what I’ve been writing for, as of late. And then when Guns starts, which it’s about to, then I just focus on Guns-oriented stuff.

ON WHETHER THERE WILL BE MORE SHOWS ALONG WITH GUNS N’ ROSES RECENTLY ANNOUNCED LOUDER THAN LIFE GIG

There’s a handful of gigs that are happening at the very end of September and through October, so [Louder Than Life is] just one of them. And then it’s really just focusing on getting a new record done.

ON WHETHER THE NEW GUNS N’ ROSES ALBUM WILL SURFACE BEFORE THE NEXT CONSPIRATORS ALBUM

I would hope so! I mean that’s one of those things where it remains to be seen, but I would hope so. But we’ll see what happens.

Full itw

And then when Guns starts, which it’s about to, then I just focus on Guns-oriented stuff.

i wonder if he means rehearsals for september tour or possible studio while hes on the road. Im convinced we will get something but i hope this doesnt become 96 all over again.

• GNFNR 1

Slash is in win-win situation as a creative person. If GNR album happens it will be great but if not he'll take his music and put it in Conspirators album. I just want to see GnR for one time again as a band not some aside project for band members, and sometimes think only person who lives for band is Steven :) . But offcourse at this time I'll take any GnR album or solo or just two random riffs and one offcharted scream as gift from God. 

PS

My first post after years lurkin. Guess I to like this GnR S&M.

Happy Easter to all.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, AFD5 said:

The NITL Tour wasn't the fully fledged reunion everyone thought it was going to be. My initial feeling when news broke it was only Axl Slash & Duff plus hired guns was one of disappointment. Then like everyone else when Steven appeared I thought it was going to be a matter of time before Izzy turned up even if it was for a couple of songs. As we now know that never happened because Izzy said he wouldn't get a fair share of the money. The tour was very successful making lots of money. Now for the band to progress & do a tour on the scale of the NITL  the only way that could be as successful would be with the AFD5 line up. I just can't see people even the most die hard fans myself included being interested in anything other than a AFD5 reunion. 

This has been mentioned before but 99% of casual fans couldn't name Steven as the original drummer for $1 million.  Maybe 25% might be able to name Izzy as the original rhythm guitarist, although that is probably high.  If they looked at an AFD era photo before going to a show, when GNR hit the stage, they'd think Richard was Izzy and the only reason that they'd know Steven wasn't drumming is because Frank has dark hair and skin.

For a new Album to drive tour ticket sales, it would need to be good and have people want to go see them perform the songs.  For it to drive a NITL level stadium tour, they'd have to have one or two late career hits like Aerosmith did.  It will be difficult because Aerosmith was younger than GNR the last time they had a mainstream hit and rock as a genre was more popular.