Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

BlueJean Baby

Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

Nadine El-Bawab | @nadineelbawab

Published 51 Mins Ago Updated 4 Mins AgoCNBC.com

A massive fire engulfed Paris’ famed Notre Dame Cathedral on Monday, as the city’s mayor and firefighters warned people to stay away from the area.

It was not immediately clear what had caused the fire, while local media reported that police in the city were treating it as an accident.

In a tweet the mayor of Paris confirmed the fire and called for called for people to remain away from the scene.

A massive fire engulfed Paris' famed Notre Dame Cathedral on Monday, as the city's mayor and firefighters warned people to stay away from the area. Reuters reported that the spire had collapsed.

Smoke and flames rise during a fire at the landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris on April 15, 2019, potentially involving renovation works being carried out at the site, the fire service said.

Smoke billowed from the top of the cathedral as flames ripped through its roof and bell towers.

It was not immediately clear what had caused the fire, while local media reported that police in the city were treating it as an accident.

The cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century and is famous for featuring in Victor Hugo's classic novel "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame," attracts millions of tourists every year.

President Emmanuel Macron cancelled an address to the nation that he had been due to give later on Monday evening

There have been no confirmed deaths and the cause of the fire is still unknown, according to Paris police.

A major operation was under way, the fire department said, while a city hall spokesman said on Twitter that the area was being cleared.

Smoke and flames rise during a fire at the landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris on April 15, 2019, potentially involving renovation works being carried out at the site, the fire service said.

President Donald Trump, meanwhile, addressed the fire in a tweet early Monday afternoon.

Notre-Dame was in the midst of renovations, with some sections under scaffolding, while bronze statues were removed last week for works.

Francois Guillot | AFP | Getty Images

Smokes ascends as flames rise during a fire at the landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris on April 15, 2019 afternoon, potentially involving renovation works being carried out at the site, the fire service said.

In a tweet the mayor of Paris confirmed the fire and called for people to remain away from the scene.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.

--Reuters and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

© 2019 CNBC LLC. All Rights Reserved. A Division of NBCUniversal

Very sad, but I can't stand the regular news interrupting daytime shows to discuss nothing useful.

It is a very important landmark and my heart goes out to the French people because it is centuries old.

I just can't stand the ABC news guy just talking about nothing and go on and on about what might have happened and just watching the church on fire. I feel they take every advantage just to waste my tv time by speculating and talking to other people who think they know what will happen? It's all so damn stupid.

If they had something important to say it would make sense, but they don't.

with all the damn news channels on cable tv and online I still don't understand why regular tv has to continue to mess with my shows!

My thoughts are with the French people today. I know they will re-build and come back stronger. It sucks to see something as beautiful as this church burning, but I don't understand why the news just waste time with nothing important to say.

• Like 1

Not sure why they don't have planes or helicopters with water going over the top of the Church? Maybe it's too hot and windy?

Anyway, it just seems it's going to burn to the ground because the firemen can't seem to get it under control. 

This is a very tragic, but I'm so sick of hearing that jerk from ABC just saying the same shit over and over again.