Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

BlueJean Baby

I can't believe it, so much History simply burning down. So tragic :cry:

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Not sure why they don't have planes or helicopters with water going over the top of the Church? Maybe it's too hot and windy?

Because it's a monument from the XII century, made with XII century material. If they used planes and helicopters the building would completely collapse.

• Like 4

Its not tragic. It fucking old church...

People dying all over the world for nothing is tragic, but this... Even extinction of species is more tragic than this...

Pile of sticks and stones burnt down... 

Too bad, but not tragedy if no casulties involved....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Its not tragic. It fucking old church...

People dying all over the world for nothing is tragic, but this... Even extinction of species is more tragic than this...

Pile of sticks and stones burnt down... 

Too bad, but not tragedy if no casulties involved....

cool story bro

did you have a brainfart when you wrote this?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Yep, no feelings for buildings from me...

#prayforNotreDame

wow, just wow! That's why you have no feelings: it's just a building for you, 'pile of sticks and stones'.

Well, let me break it for you, it isn't just a building. It's something irreplaceable, it's a part of our collective history, it's an immaterial patrimony that has been collecting pieces of the history of mankind for 800 years. It was there before we all were born and it should be there after we are all gone. You know, most of the problems we're facing today are because we tend to not know history, not value it, not learn with it. I feel sorry for you if you can't get your head around that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

Sad to see.

Nothing lasts for ever (who said that?), but always tough to watch the end of a something that has been so enduring and seemed so permanent.

Also, this shouldn't come as a total shock to those who have been following the state of disrepair the church has been under for the last so many years.  

• Like 1

Been reading about the aincent greeks a bit lately and in doing so you inevitably come across the fact that so much of their buildings/monuments/civilisation is reduced to rubble now, leaves one imagining what once was etc, awful to see a monument to human endeavour such as this so swiftly gutted...I suppose in the end all that will be left of everything is ruins, I guess there's something inherently tragic in even the passage of time on some level.

• Like 2

The roof and spire collapsed but the 2 iconic towers and the walls are still standing. Most, if not all, relics, art and paintings were saved. The firemen also contained the fire :)

Some French billionaires donated 300 million euros to help rebuild the Cathedral.

Edited by BadApples99
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BadApples99 said:

The roof and spire collapsed but the 2 iconic towers and the walls are still standing. Most, if not all, relics, art and paintings were saved. The firemen also contained the fire :)

Some French billionaires donated 300 million euros to help rebuild the Cathedral.

Thank fuck for that!

58 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thank fuck for that!

these days everything that's good, turns bad but everything bad can also turn into something good

it's going to come back stronger

when work will be complete, it might even be better than if it hadn't been burned down. This wood was supposedly 800 years old. I guess it was overdue for a profound renovation anyway i'd wager. from what I can tell, renovations went about slow and messy. With all the money being donated, and attention it gets, work might even be done faster.

12 minutes ago, action said:

these days everything that's good, turns bad but everything bad can also turn into something good

it's going to come back stronger

when work will be complete, it might even be better than if it hadn't been burned down. This wood was supposedly 800 years old. I guess it was overdue for a profound renovation anyway i'd wager. from what I can tell, renovations went about slow and messy. With all the money being donated, and attention it gets, work might even be done faster.

A lot of such works of art have been heavily restored and their housing areas re-done.  In Hampton Court I believe the paintings of The Triumphs of Caesar which Charles the First aqquired have been subject to similar treatment.

Edited by Len Cnut

13 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Yep, no feelings for buildings from me...

#prayforNotreDame

It is not just a building. It is in some way a musseum. It's a treasure, a big part of Europe and France history and culture. Those stones and glasses are priceless. And now they are gone. 

• Like 1

To put it in perspective (for those that are struggling with that), to the French it's no different than how Americans would feel if the Statue of liberty was destroyed or to the British if Big Ben was destroyed. 

As a Catholic I am also devastated by this, even more so that it happened during Holy Week. Having said that, the French must really be mourning today.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1