At what point will we have been waiting for a new album longer than the wait for Chinese?

Depends on if you count the wait as beginning after the use your illusion tour ended and sessions started for a new album or if you count when Sorum was fired and the first NuGuns line-up started to come together. 

After UYI: 14 year wait

Sorum gets fired: 11 year wait.

And as stated above, we have been waiting for 11 years at this point.

Edited by History2010

6 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

1991 - 1987 = 4

2008 - 1991 = 17

2019 - 2008 = 11

Is it not insane to anyone else that CD was 11 years ago?  As an old timer, waiting for CD since TSI dropped, it blows my mind to think that there are fans on this board today that may not have been old enough to know who GnR even WAS in 2008.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

All depends on the fan.  I waited 23 years for a reunion and kind of got one.. I stopped caring about new music from "Gn'R" when Axl was the only one left.  For me it would be 3 years I guess.  Even now though I am not really waiting. If it happens cool but it isn't something that really excites me at this time with this lineup.  If they release something I will still be all over it but won't be bummed one way or another.  

Lineup and all I would still consider it enough to be a Guns N' Roses record.  If it was released tomorrow then to me it would be the first Guns record of original music in 28 years...

I was going to write pretty much the same. With the only opposite that I'm still excited for new music and that I'm waiting for a new record. The clock started working again in 2016.

• Like 4

If you only started wanting a new album in '98/'99, you weren't really paying attention or stopped being a fan soon after the Illusions albums.

Most fans who were around for the Illusion era had been waiting since '94.

Man, I remember being 14 or 15 thinking we were only a year or two away from a new album.  I was off by 11-12 years.  

I think there are a variety of reasons why the wait this time around is more tolerable.

First, we got a new album.  Prior to Chinese Democracy, it felt like it was never going to happen.  So at the very least there's "new" music from that era.

Second, we got a reunion of sorts.

Third,  the reunion lineup phase only formed three/four years ago.  So if we start the clock from 2016, it hasn't really been all that long in GNR years.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, default_ said:

I wonder is there something to have such limited, albeit pretty good, material from the band? One of my other favorites, The Beach Boys, change Rock and roll forever with albums like Pet Sounds and Surfs Up. But projects like Smile fell apart. With Brian Wilson being away from the center of the band, a lot of mediocre material came out.. kinda put an end to the Beach boys being a huge band. I feel like I'd be even more frustrated if GN'R was prolific, but prolifically bad..

P.s. I'm doing this from mobile and it won't let me delete the quote

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

24 minutes ago, downzy said:

If you only started wanting a new album in '98/'99, you weren't really paying attention or stopped being a fan soon after the Illusions albums.

Most fans who were around for the Illusion era had been waiting since '94.

Man, I remember being 14 or 15 thinking we were only a year or two away from a new album.  I was off by 11-12 years.  

I think there are a variety of reasons why the wait this time around is more tolerable.

First, we got a new album.  Prior to Chinese Democracy, it felt like it was never going to happen.  So at the very least there's "new" music from that era.

Second, we got a reunion of sorts.

Third,  the reunion lineup phase only formed three/four years ago.  So if we start the clock from 2016, it hasn't really been all that long in GNR years.  

Im a huge guns fan since 88 and actually thought we would be getting a new album in 96. When i read slash left that was it for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im a huge guns fan since 88 and actually thought we would be getting a new album in 96. When i read slash left that was it for me.

Yeah, that fax definitely changed my calculation.  I remember thinking at the time, oh fuck, well, guess it won't be until '98 or '99 now.  

Then OMG came out, and I though 2000/2001. 

Then the 2002 tour, and I thought 2004 (thinking that would fall outside of the concept of soon).

Then there was promises of new music in 2006 and a tentative date in 2007.  It was at this point I started to seriously question whether we'd actually see an album.  I always had faith that Axl didn't want to go bankrupt over it so we'd get something eventually.

But yeah, it's amazing to think how many peaks and valleys there were during that 14 year stretch from my initial expectation to the album's release.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Yeah, that fax definitely changed my calculation.  I remember thinking at the time, oh fuck, well, guess it won't be until '98 or '99 now.  

Then OMG came out, and I though 2000/2001. 

Then the 2002 tour, and I thought 2004 (thinking that would fall outside of the concept of soon).

Then there was promises of new music in 2006 and a tentative date in 2007.  It was at this point I started to seriously question whether we'd actually see an album.  I always had faith that Axl didn't want to go bankrupt over it so we'd get something eventually.

But yeah, it's amazing to think how many peaks and valleys there were during that 14 year stretch from my initial expectation to the album's release.  

Good post. The question is if axl had no point of releasing any new music would slash be open and honest and say no or just " we dont know what the future holds" and giving no committed answer when probed about new music from journalists?. 

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I was pretty much the same. I remember reading an interview with Duff in a magazine around mid 96 and Duff spoke about the band looking at doing RIR in 97 and hopefully releasing a new album then a few months later Slash left and that was that for me. 

1 hour ago, Gold top 78 said:

I was pretty much the same. I remember reading an interview with Duff in a magazine around mid 96 and Duff spoke about the band looking at doing RIR in 97 and hopefully releasing a new album then a few months later Slash left and that was that for me. 

Interesting im under the impression that guns would have wanted a new album to drop before rir and maybe used rir as a warmup for the new album to drop.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Anyone remember going to  gnronline back in like 2001 to 2004 and they kept changing the main text.

chinese democracy due March 2001

chinese democracy due June 2001

chinese democracy due September 2001

etc etc etc

i was a fool to go and check every other week lol

Edited by megaguns1982

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Good post. The question is if axl had no point of releasing any new music would slash be open and honest and say no or just " we dont know what the future holds" and giving no committed answer when probed about new music from journalists?. 

I think Axl always operates with the intention of releasing what he's working on.  I do know he likes to play for himself but with respect to what he records it's done on the assumption that it could see the light of day.

The issue, it appears to me, is follow through.  

I guess finishing school and starting a life has made the time fly. I still remember before CD was even out. I mean I was only waiting from like 04 or so but I still had to deal with the jokes from everyone around me. Even after the reunion I never hear anything good when I bring up guns.  It sucks. 

Metallica’s Kirk Hammett says the band are “uncomfortable” with how long their new album is taking

This is a band who last released an album in 2016. Does this make you frustrated with Guns progression towards a new release?

• Like 2