Copyright Strikes....

4 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

i was always under the impression anything filmed live by someone was owned by the person that recorded?

Most/all concert will have "unauthorized recording prohibited" somewhere in the t and cs that no one ever reads. Pretty sure this means that anything filmed there is technically banned, even though that rule is very rarely enforced. It also probably means that anything filmed belongs to the performers. 

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Most/all concert will have "unauthorized recording prohibited" somewhere in the t and cs that no one ever reads. Pretty sure this means that anything filmed there is technically banned, even though that rule is very rarely enforced. It also probably means that anything filmed belongs to the performers. 

I saw the Eagles live last year and several people got kicked out for phones. There is a message at the beginning that says that "Please Do Not Record Or Use Your Cellphones"

GNR is a lot less strict then people think 

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

On 4/23/2019 at 2:12 PM, MrSoftie said:

I got the same thing this morning, also on an unlisted video with a mere 84 views. Any idea how to get more details? I can't even find a way to dispute it or find out who submitted the complaint.

Great thing about this one is no copyright strike. Did you have other videos on your channel when you got this?

The Axl Rose youtube takedowns are disgusting. Way to go whoever is doing it or turning a blind eye. You're erasing Axl's legacy one takedown at a time. Good for you. I hope you feel accomplished in your absolute idiocy. In your attempts at censorship or at least some misguided attempt to champion artist's rights you've completely failed. You have succeeded in denying fans and newcomers alike of some great music that actually brings joy to people. You have successfully cut off your nose to spite your face. So stupid. 

I shared a relatively obscure Axl/DC clip with my buddy yesterday and today it's been taken down. I mean WTF. Are you an idiot? My friend loved the clip Btw and would have probably shown several more people who then would have been more inclined to buy a GN'R ticket in the future. So fucking dumb. 

Sure there are internet trolls, but just do what every other well adjusted normal person does. Just fucking ignore them. 

• Like 1

YouTube takedowns aren’t just a GNR thing right now. It’s across the entire platform. Labels are trying to put pressure on Google to negotiate. The AI they use for song recognition/copyright violations  has gotten good enough that it can recognize songs that are live versions and covers. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

YouTube takedowns aren’t just a GNR thing right now. It’s across the entire platform. Labels are trying to put pressure on Google to negotiate. The AI they use for song recognition/copyright violations  has gotten good enough that it can recognize songs that are live versions and covers. 

Damn I didn't know that. I'm a fan of many many bands and Axl Rose is literally the only artist I've had problems accessing videos I always accessed before. Also literally the only artist I've seen takedowns in real-time based upon exposure of that link. Just saying. 

Edit- I also saw it with A Perfect Circle around their latest album, which was incredible. So take that for what it's worth. 

Edit Edit - still a net loss strategy if you ask me though. 

Edited by TOS--LOA
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any brand new news on Guns N Roses takedowns?  I guess they have blocked or taken down most of the concert video from 2016 ans 2017 at this point. My channel is still down youtube never even gave me a response on my counternotification. I guess no news means we dont accept your counternotification and your channel stays down. Dicks!!

• Sad 1

Last I checked there's virtually no GNR tour footage of the last three years, in this day & age if your interested in something your gonna Google it or YouTube it. Seems so backwards. If they were put all GNR shows ever recorded audio or visual on there own website & stream em for a small fee then I'd understand but I don't see that happening. 

On 25/4/2019 at 12:47 AM, rebeldhipi said:

In Tallinn last year i saw the head of GNR security telling a guy holding a camera to stop filming (camera, not smarphone) His filming annoyed me cause it was disturbing my view. 

Probably pretty standard practice, but i remember it being a bit odd in 2018.

I saw another band in a club last november and a guy was recording the full show with a gopro, when it was reaching the last songs, the gorilla from the entrance (club staff, not related to the band) came to him and spoke angry to him for recording the show

Conspiracy theory time.  Band management is fully behind the takedowns of the last three years because the band has zero intention of switching up the setlist and they want their 2019 shows to seem “new” to casual audiences. 

7 hours ago, WAR41 said:

Conspiracy theory time.  Band management is fully behind the takedowns of the last three years because the band has zero intention of switching up the setlist and they want their 2019 shows to seem “new” to casual audiences. 

...or they realise how bad the performances sound and are doing us all a favour.

NITL tour down, next up: the Ashba era.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really don't understand why fans take this copyright removal stuff so personally. I mean, it's THEIR content. They have a right to any revenue generated from it and shouldn't be expect to give anything away for free. That's exactly why copyright protection exists. They aren't breaking the law. However, those using the content w/o permission are.

The real problem is, fans feel overly entitled. They've been getting away with illegal downloads and content use for so long that they just expect it to always be that way.

If the band decides to sit on all the content and not take advantage of the fan interest, again, that's THEIR prerogative.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thunderram said:

I really don't understand why fans take this copyright removal stuff so personally. I mean, it's THEIR content. They have a right to any revenue generated from it and shouldn't be expect to give anything away for free. That's exactly why copyright protection exists. They aren't breaking the law. However, those using the content w/o permission are.

The real problem is, fans feel overly entitled. They've been getting away with illegal downloads and content use for so long that they just expect it to always be that way.

If the band decides to sit on all the content and not take advantage of the fan interest, again, that's THEIR prerogative.

Lol I'm not taking it personally, but if somebody is not profiting from the content then what does it matter to the band?  It's free marketing.  When you have the band's own social media asking you for guitar/bass covers and then it gets flagged for copyright I think it's fair to assume there is a disconnect. 

As for fans being "overly entitled".  Lol, get out of here with that nonsense.  Finally the digital streaming industry is starting to figure out its business model.   I didn't buy the Locked N' Loaded set but I've listened to it with my Amazon Music Unlimited account several times. If you look at subscription numbers for all streaming services I think you'd agree that lots of people have started consuming content LEGALLY.  If the band is willing to release content officially we will consume it LEGALLY and more importantly pay for it.  But don't fault fans for wanting to hear/see content that is decades old and unofficially released.  Look at what Metallica just did with nugs.net.  That is something I was begging for on Nightrain for as long as I was there.  Release content officially and as fans I think we've shown that we will pay for it.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, thunderram said:

Most companies will let the users leave the videos up. They’ll just run ads on the videos and keep the revenue. 

14 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

Most companies will let the users leave the videos up. They’ll just run ads on the videos and keep the revenue. 

I get that. And that's their choice to make. But not everyone makes the same choices nor do they need to simply because someone else does. What others do is irrelevant. Everyone and every situation is different.

I know LucasFilm used to be pretty unrelenting about Star Wars content for many, many years before finally allowing fan-made videos. And I believe Disney has done the same with a lot of their content. It is what it is.

As a hardcore fan that would absolutely love for the GN'R vault to open and allow us access to all their recorded shows, I just reject the notion that they somehow owe it to the fans to allow unsanctioned content on the web since they've yet to release it themselves.

Edited by thunderram
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, thunderram said:

I get that. And that's their choice to make. But not everyone makes the same choices nor do they need to simply because someone else does. What others do is irrelevant. Everyone and every situation is different.

I know LucasFilm used to be pretty unrelenting about Star Wars content for many, many years before finally allowing fan-made videos. And I believe Disney has done the same with a lot of their content. It is what it is.

As a hardcore fan that would absolutely love for the GN'R vault to open and allow us access to all their recorded shows, I just reject the notion that they somehow owe it to the fans to allow unsanctioned content on the web since they've yet to release it themselves.

Umm yes.  Exactly.  Of course the band/label can do whatever they want to do.  No one is debating that.  What we're debating is WHY they would do it. And until we get an answer from GNR management as to why they support these takedowns we'll continue to debate it.  I'm sorry that these discussions have been so traumatizing to you.

And you "reject the notion that they somehow owe it to the fans to allow unsanctioned content on the web".  How bold.  Again, of course the band can decide what they do and don't want out there.  If there is a demand for it then release it and make money.  This band has shown they're not above slapping their logo on junk and selling it for profit.  The band DOES have every right to be upset/frustrated if content is out there that they don't want the public to see, but they can't be mad at their own fans for wanting to see it.  

• Like 3