Copyright Strikes....

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

A remit which allows him to take down material from major social media operators like youtube and twitter?

yep

1 minute ago, Kwick1 said:

I refuse to believe it's the band or management behind the takedowns. 

see this post below

4 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Aware and not stopping it, yes....doing the takedowns themselves, no.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You know what would help their perception? A simple statement to the fans saying that. 

Aint gonna happen russ. This band has never been a fan friendly band, and in some cases view the fans as the enemy. Dels twitter response when all this started says it all about their postion.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

There could be no doubt the management is aware of it. After all, they have been told about it.

Whether they are at some level behind it, is just speculation. People argue that it is not possible to do so much damage without having official backing by the management. I disagree. It is easy to get videos taken down from YT. YT tends to err on the side of caution and will likely accept any requests to take down videos that feature an artist's music that is not obviously uploaded by the owner of that music. Better safe than sorry seems to be YT's philosophy. Secondly, it is argued that since the management isn't explicitly stating they are behind it, they must have some role. This argument would normally be sound, but we are talking about a request from hardcore fans (in particular some of which come from this forum) to Team Brazil, here. I am not surprised at all if TB couldn't be bothered to deny an accusation from fans who regularly accuse them of all kinds of thing. Unfortunate as it is, it still doesn't surprise me. People also argue that the band loses by these videos being pulled, and hence it would make sense for TB to stop it. I am not so sure about that. The band's revenues come from concert sale, merch, royalties on music, sale of records, etc, and the large majority of people buying any of this stuff don't really care about bootleg videos and rare concert footage, they care about being able to see the official videos and having the band tour near them now and them. To us hardcore fans it matters, but we have to start realizing that we are not representative of the vast majority of the band's revenue-generating market.

I am not saying that TB isn't at some level behind this -- either by not stopping a moron from doing it when he suggested it or by telling him to do it -- what I am saying is that we don't know and that it isn't at all so clear-cut as someone makes it seem. Concluding that TB is behind this is a bit nefarious/conspiratorial and in the absolutely possible scenario where TB has nothing to do with it, such accusations without evidence just adds another crack in the relationship between us and them and can't possibly do us any good in the longterm.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lio said:

If I'm a casual fan of a band that hit its peak 30 years ago, and they come here for a show, I think I'd first look into if they're worth it. YouTube concert videos are ideal for that. An old official video won't tell me anything about how they might sound now.

Maybe that's why they are being taken down! :lol:

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe that's why they are being taken down! :lol:

44 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

seems to me that this is the very reason that they are taking the videos down

and in order to make it not so obvious that they don't really want people to see the nonsense current live performances, they take some old videos too

:lol: I guess I had that coming. That being said though... Most show reviews are positive. They still put on a good show. Sure, they'll say stuff like Axl can't hit all the notes anymore, but it's still a great show. I think most of the concert goers would agree with that. Even if you're put off by Axl (which most aren't), there's still Slash and there's still the hits. There's enough to lure in concert goers imo. But maybe it's just the lack of self confidence from Axl that makes TB okay with taking down videos?

Why else would they allow that? Surely no one can believe that is the smartest business decision? I know we are diehards, but videos have been taken down from casuals going to the show too. They must be thinking WTF too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

:lol: I guess I had that coming. That being said though... Most show reviews are positive. They still put on a good show. Sure, they'll say stuff like Axl can't hit all the notes anymore, but it's still a great show. I think most of the concert goers would agree with that. Even if you're put off by Axl (which most aren't), there's still Slash and there's still the hits. There's enough to lure in concert goers imo. But maybe it's just the lack of self confidence from Axl that makes TB okay with taking down videos?

Why else would they allow that? Surely no one can believe that is the smartest business decision? I know we are diehards, but videos have been taken down from casuals going to the show too. They must be thinking WTF too.

The fact that you struggle to find a reason for why they would do it is an argument for why they might not be behind it.

But on the other hand, it is really hard to find a rational reason why anyone would want to do it. 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

There could be no doubt the management is aware of it. After all, they have been told about it.

Whether they are at some level behind it, is just speculation. People argue that it is not possible to do so much damage without having official backing by the management. I disagree. It is easy to get videos taken down from YT. YT tends to err on the side of caution and will likely accept any requests to take down videos that feature an artist's music that is not obviously uploaded by the owner of that music. Better safe than sorry seems to be YT's philosophy. Secondly, it is argued that since the management isn't explicitly stating they are behind it, they must have some role. This argument would normally be sound, but we are talking about a request from hardcore fans (in particular some of which come from this forum) to Team Brazil, here. I am not surprised at all if TB couldn't be bothered to deny an accusation from fans who regularly accuse them of all kinds of thing. Unfortunate as it is, it still doesn't surprise me. People also argue that the band loses by these videos being pulled, and hence it would make sense for TB to stop it. I am not so sure about that. The band's revenues come from concert sale, merch, royalties on music, sale of records, etc, and the large majority of people buying any of this stuff don't really care about bootleg videos and rare concert footage, they care about being able to see the official videos and having the band tour near them now and them. To us hardcore fans it matters, but we have to start realizing that we are not representative of the vast majority of the band's revenue-generating market.

I am not saying that TB isn't at some level behind this -- either by not stopping a moron from doing it when he suggested it or by telling him to do it -- what I am saying is that we don't know and that it isn't at all so clear-cut as someone makes it seem. Concluding that TB is behind this is a bit nefarious/conspiratorial and in the absolutely possible scenario where TB has nothing to do with it, such accusations without evidence just adds another crack in the relationship between us and them and can't possibly do us any good in the longterm.

I agree, except for this: "another crack in the relationship between us and them". What relationship exactly? You mean them selling us merchandize? Cause that’s the only real relationship I’m aware of. 

And yes, they might not have incited this, but we already know they are aware of it. 

Edit:
I mean, all they needed to do was to say yes guys, we’re working on it, just a little patience...

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

I agree, except for this: "another crack in the relationship between us and them". What relationship exactly? You mean them selling us merchandize? Cause that’s the only real relationship I’m aware of. 

Well, let's phrase it this way: Repeated false accusations may make it more likely that they will eventually actually do something towards us worth accusing them for.

Uhm, that didn't come out as concise and catchy as I was hoping for :lol:

2 hours ago, SAU3R said:

I have to ask, what is the point of this post? You invite Fernando to a thread where people are complaining and blaming him/management for things that are happening and then telling him to do something. You think it will help? 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

There are things pointing out to TB possibly being behind this and other things pointing to the opposite.

A "fat picture" and show bootlegs (or fan made videos from them) are two different things. Axl said in 2006, I think, that he didn't have a problem with live bootlegs (the leaks of unreleased studio recordings are another story, I assume).

Also, bootlegs are still openly shared (and there are still active links)  on another forum owned by an employee of the band (in fact, I downloaded a couple of bootlegs linked there just a few days ago and I'm not even a member of that forum).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I have to ask, what is the point of this post? You invite Fernando to a thread where people are complaining and blaming him/management for things that are happening and then telling him to do something. You think it will help? 

I don't think it will help, but as Russ said previously, a statement from the management could clear things up, although of course I don't expect it to happen 

It was more of a joke than anything else, I mean we've had open letters and everything at this point, I don't know what could help at this point apart from personally talking to them

Del James and Beta, Del excessively so, have both had public tantrums about bootlegging. Del couldn't even summon up a modicum of sympathy for the people who have had threats, because of their history of putting stuff online. It took a heck of a lot of explaining to him for him to even begin, putting away his hatred for online bootlegging, to comprehend the main issue of personal threats of violence. We have to assume then that this is a prevalent opinion at HQ, given the close rapport between those characters and Rose. And there is absolutely no reason on earth why TB couldn't have answered that letter with a base rebuttal (at a minimum). They could have even said, ''we disagree with online bootlegs'' whilst denying their involvement! 

The evidence almost certainly points to endorsement by management. 

You are granting this Alfred person a heck of a lot of power here by assuming otherwise. If it turns out that lyrics are being pulled down well, just how much power are you willing to grant him? He can pull lyrics from (non-social media) online mainstream websites now? He is the most powerful person on the internet!! Ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1