Rumors of Izzy & Steven returning?

6 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i really wish DJ Ashba and Tobias were back in the band! They tour a lot! 

Eww no

5 hours ago, Ant said:

Even VR's Brownstone didn't groove that hard. I gotta take a shower. 

I wish Slash had agreed to join them in that performance. Would've been awesome.

2 hours ago, Modano09 said:

And to be clear, the great crime I've committed is that I don't agree with you. Fair enough. It's good to see that you can understand the concept of not wanting to be around someone you dislike or find obnoxious to be around. You should be able to understand why Adler's not in GNR now then.

I’ll never wrap my head around the idea that people believe Adler should be in the band. He is so fucking obnoxious. And the shit he has said over the years about Nu-Guns is absolute trash. Calling the musicians “scabs”.

8 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Explain then why Izzy hasn't played a full concert since 93 or done anything besides the JUJU hounds and some solo stuff. Also I am pretty sure it's Axls band considering he is  the lead singer and has appeared  on every single release. 

OK

Since Izzy left Guns, they have released a covers album, a live album, 1 studio album & a greatest hits album.

Izzy since 1992 has released 11 studio albums.

He may not have toured but he got some tunes out there....

You can say he’s done nothing. It’s Up to him if he wanted to tour it or not. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Yes, if you're writing an album 30 years ago, Izzy's more important than Duff.

But if you're trying to mend fences between Axl and Slash, and negotiate a lucrative reunion tour, and manage the details of making that tour work in 2016 and onward, Duff is more valuable than Izzy.

Ill take it you’d be happy with NITL tour continuing indefinitely with the same set list and no new tunes? 

Plus, there’s this thing about songwriting, where you can do it irrespective of age. You could do it 30 years ago yes. And now. And in another 30 years. 

Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney. 

These fuckers have the combined age of Jesus or something but they are still writing and recording and playing music live. You may feel Izzy isn’t important to the live show. But he’s very important to the possibility and quality of a new album. 

I would prefer this over more 3hr live shows with 10 covers.

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2

As soon as GNR got really huge in the 90s Izzy bailled. What exactly has he done since then in terms of major recording and touring. ?

Slash had SMCK, Axl had the Chinese tour and the Vegas residences + a live album ,Duff had Loaded and whatever  else he had going on. Hell you can even say Adler has been way more active touring and released a solo record of his own. 

Do you have mistaken our two Indiana boys Axl and Izzy?! 

Since the 90ies Izzy has realased 10 or 11 full length studio albums and several singles! Hence, he has released more records than any other member of the AFD5, especially Mr. W. Axl Rose. This is exactly what Izzy has done since the 90ies (you asked for it)  

I personally by far prefer musicians which release lots of music without touring (so called recording artists) than „musicians“ who tour a lot celebrating music they released 30 years ago, especially if this touring artists can’t sing anymore. 

• Like 3

Explain then why Izzy hasn't played a full concert since 93 or done anything besides the JUJU hounds and some solo stuff. Also I am pretty sure it's Axls band considering he is  the lead singer and has appeared  on every single release. 

He played four full concerts in 2000 in Japan :)

His solo music is great, some real gems on every album, all 11 of them.

He also released singles with unreleased bsides, EPs, youtube vids, & theres about 25+ other songs you can track down on bootleg (eg. Spoonful, FSO Ragga, Keep On Movin').

He's done probably a dozen guest songs on other musicians albums too like Kittyviolet, Burden Brothers, Mark Lanegan, Outpatience etc.

Izzy fans are spoilt for choice really, so much good shit out there that Izzy just doesn't promote, because he doesn't want to :lol:

My only gripe is that he doesn't tour his solo music often at all. He and Axl are the exact opposite on that front. Axl hasn't really stopped touring, which is great, but he's only dropped 1 album since I became a fan back in 1998 <_<

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

The vegas residency wasnt something to crow about. By then with the flying piano and ashba i dont think axl could have taken the gnr brand further into the ground. The emo guns version had run its course. The 12 songs slash had referred to in his book that he wrote with izzy where VR was in the early stages, i would like to know what those songs were.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

The vegas residency wasnt something to crow about. By then with the flying piano and ashba i dont think axl could have taken the gnr brand further into the ground. The emo guns version had run its course. The 12 songs slash had referred to in his book that he wrote with izzy where VR was in the early stages, i would like to know what those songs were.

Absolutely! How did that Appetite for Democracy dvd/cd get released?? For a bloke who's incredibly fussy about what he/GNR release I'm still not sure how that one got through!

I would also love to know what those songs were. 

If they have been used in VR/SMKC or whatever wouldn't we know by the songwriting credits?

It would be amazing if they somehow found their way on to a GNR album!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

Ill take it you’d be happy with NITL tour continuing indefinitely with the same set list and no new tunes? 

Plus, there’s this thing about songwriting, where you can do it irrespective of age. You could do it 30 years ago yes. And now. And in another 30 years. 

Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney. 

These fuckers have the combined age of Jesus or something but they are still writing and recording and playing music live. You may feel Izzy isn’t important to the live show. But he’s very important to the possibility and quality of a new album. 

I would prefer this over more 3hr live shows with 10 covers.

Jesus was only 33😄

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DK6 said:

Absolutely! How did that Appetite for Democracy dvd/cd get released?? For a bloke who's incredibly fussy about what he/GNR release I'm still not sure how that one got through!

😂 I have every single official release of GNR and related in my collection. Dude, I even bought the Dizzy Reed solo album on vinyl and also got the Matt Sorum solo album on CD.

BUT: To date I wasn’t strong enough to buy the Appetite for Democracy CD/DVD. And I have zero intention to ever buy this thing. This release stands for everything I hate on „GNR“. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

This thread is indisputable proof that some people are stuck in 1987. I really wish I had the time and energy to sit here arguing over something that has almost no bearing on my life.

Yeah well, if you have nothing going on in your life, you discuss these things for a millionth time on a forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I wouldn't say I'd be happy with it but if that's what they want to do, that's what they want to do. They're allowed, it's their career, their decisions.

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 2

the best middle ground is if sorum is brought back full time along with gilby - this brings back Locomotive, Estranged (played properly), Don't Damn Me, Garden, Dead Horse and Breakdown 

the aliens must be all fired they've run their course and bother everyone that likes gnr a lot

then for the extended 9 song encore it's the AFD 5!! which brings Reckless Life/Nice Boys, 14 years, You Could Mine, Dust N Bones, Civil War and a 4 AFD songs ;) 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I’ll never wrap my head around the idea that people believe Adler should be in the band. He is so fucking obnoxious. And the shit he has said over the years about Nu-Guns is absolute trash. Calling the musicians “scabs”.

They were scabs

7 hours ago, downliner said:

He played four full concerts in 2000 in Japan :)

His solo music is great, some real gems on every album, all 11 of them.

He also released singles with unreleased bsides, EPs, youtube vids, & theres about 25+ other songs you can track down on bootleg (eg. Spoonful, FSO Ragga, Keep On Movin').

He's done probably a dozen guest songs on other musicians albums too like Kittyviolet, Burden Brothers, Mark Lanegan, Outpatience etc.

Izzy fans are spoilt for choice really, so much good shit out there that Izzy just doesn't promote, because he doesn't want to :lol:

My only gripe is that he doesn't tour his solo music often at all. He and Axl are the exact opposite on that front. Axl hasn't really stopped touring, which is great, but he's only dropped 1 album since I became a fan back in 1998 <_<

hey you say Izzy has great songs on all 11 albums.  I cant seem to find them.  can you give me a list so I can try to give them another listen?  I'm not trolling, I seriously want to know what the good songs are so i can give them another try.  I just remember being very underwhelmed at each of Izzys albums when I played them thru spotify or YouTube, etc.  maybe I didnt give them a fair shot. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I don't think he wanted more than Axl/Slash/Duff, he wanted the same as them - which sounds good on the surface, until you realize that Axl/Slash/Duff were the 3 partners that managed the GNR brand for 20 years at their own legal expense and put the work into making this reunion/tour happen. Why should Izzy waltz back in and get what they're getting? Particularly since he already profited when he sold his stake in the band. I don't know if it's "greedy" (although the whole part about how they already paid him for his stake in the partnership tends to get ignored for some reason) but it's certainly unreasonable. 

Very simple and straight forward.  If it wasn't for his coworking - they would have nothing to manage.

Several years back, Marc Canter spoke here how each individual had input on every song, no matter who was credited in the end.

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

I just remember being very underwhelmed at each of Izzys albums when I played them thru spotify or YouTube, etc.  maybe I didnt give them a fair shot. 

You're not alone, people rave about JuJu Hounds, and all I heard was 2nd rate Black Crowes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moreblack said:

You're not alone, people rave about JuJu Hounds, and all I heard was 2nd rate Black Crowes

excuse me. Black Crowes were a top level band if you took time to go through all their albums.  Nothing short of GNR asa a matter of fact.  After all, they did not sell 40 million albums for nothing.

Izzy, on the other hand, had the worse solo albums of GNR members, being surpased only by Axl's solo work.

If we were to rank 

1) Slash (especially Snakepits, VR, Slash...)

2) Duff (Neurotic outsiders, Loaded, some solo work)

3) Gilby (first 3 albums quiet decent actually)

Helll...even Matt had better albums than Axl and Izzy.  But that still doesn't take away what Iz contributed to quality of GNR.  Solo work is one thing, work he contributes with Slash/Duff/Ax/Matt - something else. W/o, future material would not have the strength GNR level requires.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

excuse me. Black Crowes were a top level band if you took time to go through all their albums. 

Yes I know, trust me I know Black Crowes better than almost anyone(loooong time fan). What I was getting at is that's the sound I hear JuJu Hounds going for but not quite getting there.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

I could see Izzy being offered the same pay as Richard for the same job - playing guitar on tour. The difference is Izzy wrote or co-wrote a good portion of these songs. His payout regarding the brand doesn't have anything to do with that. As a main songwriter and founding member of the band, Izzy is above a session musician who hasn't come up with a single riff, lyric or basically anything for the gallery to speak of in almost 20 years. It's like offering Duff the same pay as Dizzy just because he's been in the band longer, doesn't work for no one.

I like the idea of bringing the AFD5 for the second half of the show, still half assed but perhaps as close to a real option as it gets. I was lucky to see Izzy joining them on the CD tour and he did four songs incl. Paradise City while Richard remained on stage - seemed alright to me. They could easily do that with five songs and ride off into the sunset saving face, making everyone happy.

I'd trade 90 minutes of covers and noodling in those 3 hour shows to for once hear proper versions of SCOM, PC and Rocket Queen - you need Steven Adler for that - and watch the songwriter of Patience, Think About You, Don't Cry, 14 Years and YCBM playing these songs instead of people who listened to MC Hammer when these classics came out. No one goes to GNR to hear CD, VR or covers (if you're into that I think it's safe to say by now you had your chance). Cut it down to a 90-120 min show with Duff and Izzy singing 2-3 songs and Slash having a long solo so Axl can have his voice breaks in between and be good. There still be people bitching but this time it won't be the FANS.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I'd trade 90 minutes of covers and noodling in those 3 hour shows to for once hear proper versions of SCOM, PC and Rocket Queen - you need Steven Adler for that - and watch the songwriter of Patience, Think About You, Don't Cry, 14 Years and YCBM playing these songs instead of people who listened to MC Hammer when these classics came out. No one goes to GNR to hear CD, VR or covers (if you're into that I think it's safe to say by now you had your chance). Cut it down to a 90-120 min show with Duff and Izzy singing 2-3 songs and Slash having a long solo so Axl can have his voice breaks in between and be good. There still be people bitching but this time it won't be the FANS.

THIS!!!! 

Been saying the same for years now. Cut the covers and solo shit.

Covers: no one cares about them!!! Fine if they're part of GNR catalogue, Nice Boys, Mama Kin, KOHD, LALD, even stuff in Spaghetti. But that's it. 

Solos: as stated many times, no one cares, and they are not that good musicians so the solo stuff PLAIN SUCKS.. !!!!! Only one who can improvise with a bit of finesse is Fortus, but even then, he's no Jeff Beck, let alone a Guthrie Govan (although he'd love that, keep wishing 4tus LOL).

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Only one who can improvise with a bit of finesse is Fortus, but even then, he's no Jeff Beck, let alone a Guthrie Govan (although he'd love that, keep wishing 4tus LOL).

Richard's decent but he's too much of a gear nerd to really cut through the other zillions of good players out there. The thing is it takes Izzy two basic guitars and one simple amp to accomplish what it takes Richard a truckload of custom guitars and boutique pedals to not accomplish - rock and roll. At this point, being a full on "reunited" nostalgia act without new material, everyone but Izzy makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 1