Rumors of Izzy & Steven returning?

On 4/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, shotsfired cro said:

the reason why Adler is not capable of playing is pretty simple and has almost 0 to do with factors outside himself.  For ref see how long he manages to stay within his own bands w/o line up change.  Drugs have permanently damaged his state of mind.

Matt is just all around better player. Out of all line ups Ax ever had, UYI and TSI sound was the most ideal sound GNR ever had, IMO.

Harsh on Adler, what does constant lineup changes have to do with his drumming? Would say drugs have damaged his physical ability to drum for 3 hours, he sadly isn't reliable enough, maybe if his back didn't give way in 2016 we'd see more of him in GNR. 

I'd also say that Adlers drumming is better than Sorums, although technically Sorum maybe better, Adlers swing and sound defined GNR for me, I can't remember the quote exactly but even Izzy noted the change in sound for worse after they fired Steven. Matts drumming was bland on UYI (not always his fault like on NR) , better on TSI but still miles off of Adlers. 

However I'd still like to see Sorum play some songs again with GNR, but please not AFD songs, in my opinion he butchers songs like RQ just as much as Frank DOES. Maybe have him on for UYI songs on a consistent basis, and do the same for Steven?? Sadly I'd say it's unlikely either will return on a consistent basis 

17 minutes ago, ; D said:

Harsh on Adler, what does constant lineup changes have to do with his drumming? Would say drugs have damaged his physical ability to drum for 3 hours, he sadly isn't reliable enough, maybe if his back didn't give way in 2016 we'd see more of him in GNR. 

I'd also say that Adlers drumming is better than Sorums, although technically Sorum maybe better, Adlers swing and sound defined GNR for me, I can't remember the quote exactly but even Izzy noted the change in sound for worse after they fired Steven. Matts drumming was bland on UYI (not always his fault like on NR) , better on TSI but still miles off of Adlers. 

However I'd still like to see Sorum play some songs again with GNR, but please not AFD songs, in my opinion he butchers songs like RQ just as much as Frank DOES. Maybe have him on for UYI songs on a consistent basis, and do the same for Steven?? Sadly I'd say it's unlikely either will return on a consistent basis 

I don't think it's about his drumming, it's his personality and risk factor. Constant lineup changes in his band would suggest either he can't get along with people or people can't tolerate him for too long. I don't know how anyone can listen to him do an hour long radio appearance where he talks out of both sides of his mouth to appear to be grateful AND the victim and not realize that's not a personality you need in 2019 GNR.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I don't think it's about his drumming, it's his personality and risk factor. Constant lineup changes in his band would suggest either he can't get along with people or people can't tolerate him for too long. I don't know how anyone can listen to him do an hour long radio appearance where he talks out of both sides of his mouth to appear to be grateful AND the victim and not realize that's not a personality you need in 2019 GNR.

Maybe they do get sick of him, maybe they don't, think the only people who really know are Axl Slash and Duff. 

I'm interested as what you mean as to him 'playing' the victim, I'll admit I've always felt sorry for him, yeah he made mistakes, enough to be kicked out of GNR, but I still feel sorry as from his point of view it is easy to see why he would feel abandoned, I don't really feel anyone came out looking good from the whole situation, I don't really know enough to know either way if he is right to play the victim. 

What's wrong with him being greateful though? 

Edit - as someone else has said I don't think the lineup changes have anything to do with his personality 

Edited by ; D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ; D said:

Maybe they do get sick of him, maybe they don't, think the only people who really know are Axl Slash and Duff. 

I'm interested as what you mean as to him 'playing' the victim, I'll admit I've always felt sorry for him, yeah he made mistakes, enough to be kicked out of GNR, but I still feel sorry as from his point of view it is easy to see why he would feel abandoned, I don't really feel anyone came out looking good from the whole situation, I don't really know enough to know either way if he is right to play the victim. 

What's wrong with him being greateful though? 

Edit - as someone else has said I don't think the lineup changes have anything to do with his personality 

I find he has a tendency to act like what he wants is what rightfully should be, but, you know, someone's being mean to him for no particular reason. 

The talking out of both sides of his mouth thing was in reference to the last interview I listened to with him, from sometime after the Argentina appearances. He has this way of making himself sound like he's a victim. Like, he wanted to play all the Appetite songs but they won't let him. Or he wanted to stay out for an extra song but they turned his drum kit off so he'd leave. Or he showed up on the wrong night and did't understand why they couldn't just let him play both nights. But it was fun and he's really grateful. He finds this way to get his complaints out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

to cut story short...listening to Adler for 5 minutes makes one wanting to turn him off. he is mentally on the level of a 5 year old, now imagine being on the tour with him and having a choice. there is no way he will ever board that train.

Yeah, that's pretty much it I guess. It's understandable they won't have him back on a permanent basis, but man did they sound like Guns N' fucking Roses with him! There is no better drummer for this band than Steven Adler, he was,  is and always will be No1.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

to cut story short...listening to Adler for 5 minutes makes one wanting to turn him off. he is mentally on the level of a 5 year old, now imagine being on the tour with him and having a choice. there is no way he will ever board that train.

I see your point now, I still wish they could have him and Matt back on a permenant basis and learn to put up with Steven as impossible as that maybe but I can't see it happening 

5 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

yeah but do you go to the concerts for someone's smiles or for the sound they produce?

Maybe if this is UYI tour sound and new songs will be important. But now in NITL era where I can find at least five GnR cover bands that produce better sound than original all I want to see is smiles and chemistry from original lineup. Because, when I am on concert I usualy sing at top of my lungs so I really don’t care about sound or preformance. For example, if you had soccer players in 90’s who you adore and they played on top of their game. In 00’s they are older slower but you still kind of watch them play because you fall in love with game because of them. (Ronaldhino for example).  And Popcorn was sound of that AFD era for me. So until new album sound<Popcorn 😁

• Like 1

A matter of taste.  I say the band sounded by far best with Sorum, the most ideal sound IMO. 1991 - 94 best era and finally ideal sound for Gunners. From UYI era they finally became propper mature sounding band. Big fat sound, technically everyone way better players. I always found AFD record speed irritating, whoever decided to speed it up ruined the record.

I found Adler overused that cow bell. Gunners musically much better band in 1991-94 era.

Then again, some will like one of the hired drummers and still nobody will like Frank, so...

To me the ultimate question in this drummer dilemma has always been who'll do better: Matt at playing AfD/Lies songs or Steven at playing UYI/TSI ones? Cause the idea of rotating drummers during the show seems ridiculous to me. What else? Have Brain and Ferrer playing their parts on a couple of CD songs, too? 

Steven used to be perfect for GnR in the earlier years, but the reasons for why they wouldn't have him for more than a few selected songs for only a few shows nowadays seem pretty valid to me. I'm all for bringing Matt back. How feasible it is, is another question. Wonder what terms he and Axl are on these days.

I guess now it's all down to what's in Matt's book.  

9 minutes ago, vikute91 said:

To me the ultimate question in this drummer dilemma has always been who'll do better: Matt at playing AfD/Lies songs or Steven at playing UYI/TSI ones? Cause the idea of rotating drummers during the show seems ridiculous to me. What else? Have Brain and Ferrer playing their parts on a couple of CD songs, too? 

Steven used to be perfect for GnR in the earlier years, but the reasons for why they wouldn't have him for more than a few selected songs for only a few shows nowadays seem pretty valid to me. I'm all for bringing Matt back. How feasible it is, is another question. Wonder what terms he and Axl are on these days.

I guess now it's all down to what's in Matt's book.  

Is Matt writing a book? Uh oh. 

AFD &Lies are not only albums they are way of life. Five boys playin an havin fun. They were roomates, friends, enemies, brothers. You can feel it in every song or even on concerts. It was raw and wild. Popcorn was part of it. His drummin was like free energy boost every time you fall down.  And than come Zig Zag, Tracii and Roberta, Gimme more reggee era. Maybe they sound like symphonic orcestra on stage but for me it was just five guys who made album from their big homes. And Matt (he is great drumm player) was lackin this GnR attitude. Even in the band pictures you can tell the difference. Same thing with Gilby. And for Frank idk probably like Mellisa will go with question why?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

A matter of taste.  I say the band sounded by far best with Sorum, the most ideal sound IMO. 1991 - 94 best era and finally ideal sound for Gunners. From UYI era they finally became propper mature sounding band. Big fat sound, technically everyone way better players. I always found AFD record speed irritating, whoever decided to speed it up ruined the record.

I found Adler overused that cow bell. Gunners musically much better band in 1991-94 era.

Then again, some will like one of the hired drummers and still nobody will like Frank, so...

You can never have enough of a cowbell

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Reading around this morning....year  4 on The AxlDuffSlash tour,,coming up on 5 years Jan 2020, and yes, they I’ll go for it.

They are gong for  he longest tour record and biggest money tour ever.

Congrats to them. Each of these three men might cut themselevs check for 100 million  by the end of your for their total payday.,lol .They do not need or want Izzy and Steve. Again, Axl really does not need Duff . A n S are the main characters.

Izzy is almost 60 and has other lives that interests him. The money was hung he said, ehhh. Yeah. Really reading around,mit seems this guy is not interested in being away from his home, wife, other business interests, traveling, his own schedule, and more.

All of GnR are  pushing 60 as someone said here in an earlier post.

Steve, and some of you are pretty mean spirited in your posts, simply, common sense, cannot do a 4-5 year tour.

The Argentina , one or two special nags, was really pitiful in that Argentina is far away to go for a song or two. They could hav him play a song or two at The Troubador date or Forum. Adler is no better , no worst, well, did no more, no worst than the rest of them. Least he never had statutory rape charges on him. Duff and Izzy both almost died. Slash is running around with a pacemaker .

This is what is was since 2016 and is 2019 and will be 2020.

The  Axl Tour with special guests, Duff and Slash , and contracted, paid employees are the other people. 

WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN cool, a huge money grab, big ticket price, for Guns n Roses , Steve, Izzy, Duff, Slash, and Axl, to tour The House Of Blues clubs . You have 12 or less of them.   No paid employees. A sold out show each instantly sold out.  Herevin the USA and not Argentina.A mini tour within their massive tour. Split the pay five ways. HofB has  x amount of tickets so people can see in the concert . It is standing up in the concert HofB. I been to shows before at  New Orleans  HofB. Band could play  AFD end to end and a few other songs. Something for old fans, Steve, and  Izzy.  Short show. 2 hours max.

Frank, he is the Black Guy and so I never hear fans on this site rave about him. He is great at his job to play the drums as a paid , contracted  employee of material not his.

Groove, swing, drum machine, technical, none of that matters. If any of you would close your eyes and not see the drummer and the band played one song  right now from AFD with each drummer, I bet no one could tell. Oh that is Steve.Oh that is Matt. Oh that is Frank. The drumming would sound the same. The drummer in GnR is not impt. Motley Crue, Yes. Metallica, yes. Their drummers ARE the band as each member IS the band.  GnR has had  several drummers. Steve gets sentimental praise for his stuff was AFD which started the band. He was 1/5. Matt played and jumped in a band with old music. Music already recorded. All he need to do was play the notes. Frank is even more of a hired hand. Frank or Hank or Tank, all  the same.

Edited by Latx
  • Confused 1

On 2019-04-25 at 12:33 PM, vikute91 said:

To me the ultimate question in this drummer dilemma has always been who'll do better: Matt at playing AfD/Lies songs or Steven at playing UYI/TSI ones?

Steven has shown that he can play Civil War and You Could Be Mine, at least. I would love to hear him play Coma, Double Talkin' Jive, November Rain and especially Locomotive if they ever play that one again. Obviously he can play Don't Cry and KOHD, too. The only song he might not play as well as Sorum would be Estranged IMO, it'd be really interesting to hear his take on that song.

Matt sucked the life out of some AFD songs. Steven injects new life into some UYI songs. Frank pretty much ruins everything.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1