Can you imagine Guns N' Roses opening for The Rolling Stones show on their US No Filter Tour 2019?

To start with, Guns' role as an opening act for The Stones was actually secured in 2006 for two Germany gigs during A Bigger Bang Tour, but Keith infamously fell off a tree and theese shows were cancelled. For sure, now Guns N' Roses is a much bigger band than in 2006, but before you'll say that the idea is too far-fetched, listen how well it could play out.

I mean, it probably won't ever happen due to money/contract obligations/schedule or something, but this year just seems so right to do this. Firstly, No Filter Tour was postponed from original April-June dates due to Jagger's surgery. Rumors say that it'll start in July, so if the dates' order will be be the same, in mid September The Stones might be heading to New York or Chicago just before Guns N ' Roses festival gig in Louisville. Solid spots for the participation. Best Guns'-oriented choice is California's Rose Bowl gig, but apparantly it would be in August, so too early to catch, but, yet again, the dates are subject to change. Secondly, from the band's perspective I don't see any "status" problems, as The Stones is Slash's favourite band and Axl respects them for sure. At third, from historical perspective, it also would be really cool, as it may take place exactly 30 years after the previous joint gig in 1989. At fourth, Guns' are planning small tour in September-October, so they will be rehearsing prior to that and what could be better than a warm-up concert with 10-15 song set. Axl usually doesnt't warm up properly, so maybe this mini-gig will allow him to do that. At last, it will benefit for The Stones - viewers must be pissed off because of tour's delay, having a high ticket price in mind, but would be really pleased with two biggest bands on the planet at one concert.   

All in all, I know it all sounds wierd and unrealistic, but still just a right thing to do. At least to try. If I were in either band's management, I would make some calls for sure.  

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Like 2

Gee how long has the no filter tour been going for?. I think the potential issue would be how long guns play for?. I think a 2 hour packed set with no covers would be doable, depending how long the stones then play for?. Im also wondering what this supposed gnr tour is called?.

I have doubts the Stones will be touring this year. First it takes three months for someone to recuperate from the surgery that Jagger had. They'll need time to rehearse. Second, stadiums will start to be busy around August for preseason NFL games. You then go into the NFL season in September. Unless the Stones schedule dates when football teams are playing away, it'll be tough for the tour not to affect the NFL season.

If the Stones do not announce  the reschedule dates in May or even early June then I don't think they'll be able to pull off a stadium  tour for this year. 

Edited by Draguns

I figure the Stones chose openers with singers who can sing?:smiley-confused2:

j/k :lol:

But I am serious when I say that NITL Guns hasn't done anything to demonstrate that its not all about the money. And opening isnt good money. I think it starts and ends there, sadly.

26 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I have doubts the Stones will be touring this year. First it takes three months for someone to recuperate from the surgery that Jagger had. They'll need time to rehearse. Second, stadiums will start to be busy around August for preseason NFL games. You then go into the NFL season in September. Unless the Stones schedule dates when football teams are playing away, it'll be tough for the tour not to affect the NFL season.

If the Stones do not announce  the reschedule dates in May or even early June then I don't think they'll be able to pull off a stadium  tour for this year. 

Sept/Oct are the months heavily rumoured for the rescheduled shows. 

Guns opening for the stones would be a disaster. Having seen the stones and guns a few times each in the last 3 years, guns would be shown as a bloated circus.

The Stones are still a band and playing as a group off one and other... I saw them 5 times on the last round of gigs and each show was better than the previous one. Keith and Ronnie are playing great, Mick still has the pipes and this harp playing is fucking excellent. Songs like midnight rambler are sounding as good as they ever have. 

Having seen 3 of the NITL gigs, I was bored during each of them at points, rambling instrumentals, boring covers, bad singing, the songs have lost their groove and slash is wanking more than playing at times. There were the odd few moments of brilliance but not enough to go see them again (Izzy would change my mind) 

When I was in my teens, Guns were the new Stones, the stones were a Vegas act with zero danger and jokes being made about the steel wheelchairs tour etc... Now the Stones are old bluesmen, sounding great together, keef is STILL fucking dangerous & Guns are the Vegas act... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Powderfinger said:

Sept/Oct are the months heavily rumoured for the rescheduled shows. 

Guns opening for the stones would be a disaster. Having seen the stones and guns a few times each in the last 3 years, guns would be shown as a bloated circus.

The Stones are still a band and playing as a group off one and other... I saw them 5 times on the last round of gigs and each show was better than the previous one. Keith and Ronnie are playing great, Mick still has the pipes and this harp playing is fucking excellent. Songs like midnight rambler are sounding as good as they ever have. 

Having seen 3 of the NITL gigs, I was bored during each of them at points, rambling instrumentals, boring covers, bad singing, the songs have lost their groove and slash is wanking more than playing at times. There were the odd few moments of brilliance but not enough to go see them again (Izzy would change my mind) 

When I was in my teens, Guns were the new Stones, the stones were a Vegas act with zero danger and jokes being made about the steel wheelchairs tour etc... Now the Stones are old bluesmen, sounding great together, keef is STILL fucking dangerous & Guns are the Vegas act... 

October date at MetLife Stadium or even Gillette??? That will definitely be right in the middle of football season. The Giants have home games on the 15th and 29th of September.  Also weather wise for MetLife is bad in October. For the money the Stones charge, I don't know if it'll be worth it. 

As far as GNR, I think you are being too harsh. I thought the NITL was great. They had a successful tour.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Gee how long has the no filter tour been going for?. I think the potential issue would be how long guns play for?. I think a 2 hour packed set with no covers would be doable, depending how long the stones then play for?. Im also wondering what this supposed gnr tour is called?.

Not that long - the tour started in September 2017, but its only been 28 shows to date (All in Europe). The Stones only do 12-15 shows a year nowadays.

The Stones usually play about 2 and a half hours. Most of the openers I've seen with the Stones did about 45-50 mins, definitely none for over an hour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Draguns said:

October date at MetLife Stadium or even Gillette??? That will definitely be right in the middle of football season. The Giants have home games on the 15th and 29th of September.  Also weather wise for MetLife is bad in October. For the money the Stones charge, I don't know if it'll be worth it. 

As far as GNR, I think you are being too harsh. I thought the NITL was great. They had a successful tour.  

Yeah I hear you re Football season and weather, but thems the dates I’ve seen rumoured. 

The Guns tour was obviously massively successful and at times the shows I seen were great but Axl didn’t sound great, the band has a different vibe with Frank and I could really do without the covers, they total almost an hour I guess along with the guitar solo... 

49 minutes ago, aliexpress said:

Guns n roses aren't an opening band, doesn't matter who's the headliner.

Neither are AC/DC, but they opened for the Stones in 2003. Anyone can be an opening band when it comes to the Stones, they're just that massive. And no one would turn that gig down if it were offered to them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Neither are AC/DC, but they opened for the Stones in 2003. Anyone can be an opening band when it comes to the Stones, they're just that massive. And no one would turn that gig down if it were offered to them.

Malcolm has turned down that offer in 1981, because he thought that AC/DC were to big to be an opening act. 

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Malcolm has turned down that offer in 1981, because he thought that AC/DC were to big to be an opening act. 

That's different. They weren't that old then. In this millennia openers for them were RHCP, Pearl Jam, Metallica, AC/DC, John Mayer, Maroon 5, Liam Gallagher...

• GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

I am just imagining how expensive the tickets would be.

The tickets were already expensive. I saw tickets going for $300-$400 for the 300s section at MetLife Stadium. Those seats were last row seats in the 300s. 

4 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

what!? you know GNR fee, despite Frank/Mel/Fartus, is bigger than Stones right?

I can't imagine Smashing Pumpkins open for Rolling Stones.

Maybe some up and coming band.  Walking papers, Garbage...type

The Stones land plenty of big name openers. The biggest I've seen in the last few years myself is either John Mayer or Liam Gallagher, just slightly bigger names than the Walking Papers or Garbage. Ever hear of a guy named Ed Sheeran? He opened for them a couple years ago too. 

Realistically, I can't see anyone turning down and opening slot for the Stones, maybe barring, like, U2. But just because I don't think GN'R would turn it down doesn't mean I think GN'R opening for them is a realistic possibility. 

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

The tickets were already expensive. I saw tickets going for $300-$400 for the 300s section at MetLife Stadium. Those seats were last row seats in the 300s. 

The Stones do lucky dip tickets through  their site, 2 tickets for $50. You could be in a front row seat or back of the stadium. Having done it maybe 10-12 times now I’ve gotten a lot more good tickets than bad.