Can you imagine Guns N' Roses opening for The Rolling Stones show on their US No Filter Tour 2019?

6 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

The Stones do lucky dip tickets through  their site, 2 tickets for $50. You could be in a front row seat or back of the stadium. Having done it maybe 10-12 times now I’ve gotten a lot more good tickets than bad. 

Interesting! I wouldn't even think to look at the website for the Rolling Stones or other bands to get cheap tickets. Most of the times, bands have links to TicketMaster. I usually look at TicketMaster or Stubhub. 

I really wish U.S. lawmakers would look at how tickets are being priced for events. It's just too much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Draguns said:

Interesting! I wouldn't even think to look at the website for the Rolling Stones or other bands to get cheap tickets. Most of the times, bands have links to TicketMaster. I usually look at TicketMaster or Stubhub. 

I really wish U.S. lawmakers would look at how tickets are being priced for events. It's just too much. 

Mailing lists for bands are the way to go, presale codes and links to cheaper tickets. Neil Young is selling tickets through his site for a few weeks and what’s left go to ticketmaster. That’s seems a good way to do it.

19 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

The Stones land plenty of big name openers. The biggest I've seen in the last few years myself is either John Mayer or Liam Gallagher, just slightly bigger names than the Walking Papers or Garbage. Ever hear of a guy named Ed Sheeran? He opened for them a couple years ago too. 

Realistically, I can't see anyone turning down and opening slot for the Stones, maybe barring, like, U2. But just because I don't think GN'R would turn it down doesn't mean I think GN'R opening for them is a realistic possibility. 

dude, no offense, but Ed Sheeran is not from rock establishment.

Liam Gallagher can't sell out shit. Everywhere I saw him play there was like 400 ppl in 2000 venues. He had to cancel like half of US tour for 'medical reasons' in 2017.

John Mayer is totally irrelevant outside of US.

Garbage at least has some following on 4 continents.

You really can't compare any of those bands with any half decent rock artist that should play with Stones soundwise.

Maaaaaybe Stone Temple Pilots.

But surely as hell not a band that gets higher fees than Stones themselves.

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

Liam Gallagher can't sell out shit. Everywhere I saw him play there was like 400 ppl in 2000 venues. He had to cancel like half of US tour for 'medical reasons' in 2017.

You really can't compare any of those bands with any half decent rock artist that should play with Stones soundwise.

I really dont know why liam just doesnt put oasis back together every now and again for. Im sure they have had massive offers to reunite.

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

John Mayer supported in USA. Liam Gallagher supported in UK where he just that year played an arena tour and 3 big outdoor shows AND his album went platinum. Ed Sheeran being a pop star is irrelevant for this discussion 

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

John Mayer supported in USA. Liam Gallagher supported in UK where he just that year played an arena tour and 3 big outdoor shows AND his album went platinum. Ed Sheeran being a pop star is irrelevant for this discussion 

I saw John Mayer open in Rome in 2014, but your point still stands that he's opened in the US in recent years, and he's huge here. Of course Ed Sheeran being a pop star bears no relevance - a musician that's a huge draw is a musician that's a huge draw, regardless of genre. He's still an artist that can headline stadiums on his own - sometimes multiple shows in a single market, yet he opened for the Stones. It's not all about being someone that's up and coming, or doesn't have a strong draw. Opening for the Stones is prestigious - it's a huge event. 

10 hours ago, Nicklord said:

actually it is pretty relevant.  For a) his fee is signifacntly smaller than GNR (which is a fact, not that it has anything with him being a pop star)

b) his sound is a lot closer to Stones than GNR sound

c) him being a pop star is a lot more likely to have effect on younger audience and turn them to Stones

d) you brought him into discussion not me ;)

e) Ed Sheran plays second fiddle to none compared to GNR, in all honesty.  My point was not who plays what genre, but that John Mayer, Ed and Liam would come on foot and play for free anywhere Stones would invite them, while GNR has bigger fee than Stones themselves.

Edited by shotsfired cro

I reckon they should do what Nine Inch Nails and Queens of the Stone Age did on their tour a few years ago and have turns on whose opener and whose headliner.

Would be great for back to back shows on cities. One night guns opens for the stones the next night the stones open for guns.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:27 PM, aliexpress said:

Guns n roses aren't an opening band, doesn't matter who's the headliner.

AC/DC and Metallica have both opened for the Stones, neither of which were opening bands at the time. You do it because it's a cool nod to get, GNR would do it because they are all HUGE Stones fans. I don't see it happening but if it's a limited run of shows of course there's a possibility... but there's also the possibility of a new record coming out tomorrow, doesn't mean it's happening :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vloors said:

I reckon they should do what Nine Inch Nails and Queens of the Stone Age did on their tour a few years ago and have turns on whose opener and whose headliner.

Would be great for back to back shows on cities. One night guns opens for the stones the next night the stones open for guns.

The Rolling Stones opening for Guns? WTF? :D

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2019 at 12:11 AM, shotsfired cro said:

what!? you know GNR fee, despite Frank/Mel/Fartus, is bigger than Stones right?

I can't imagine Smashing Pumpkins open for Rolling Stones.

Maybe some up and coming band.  Walking papers, Garbage...type

There is no other band like The Rolling Stones today. They have some sort of a Universe status for their contribution and influnce on rock & blues music. Speaking of money, they're much bigger than GnR - Stones' financial machine is steady running from 70s with tons of releases and productions. Ticket prices reflects it - if Guns' Golden Circle in Europe 17/18 was about 100 EUR, Stones's wanted 250 EUR (2017) - 400 EUR (2018). And people had it, stadiums were packed. If Guns' had $4.4 million from Friends Arena in 2017, Stones brought $7.8 millions from there the same year, Guns' earned $4.4 millions from Prague show in 2017, Stones did $8.6 millions in 2018. So, you can't compare their fees - I would even say that they are from different categories.  

Speaking of an opening band status, such big rock legends as AC/DC and Metallica at their prime opened for The Stones. So, as for me it's only a schedule/money break-even point thing rather than "Oh, we are GnR, we are too big and expensive to open for The Stones".

Hands off Frank/Mel/FOrtus! 

• Like 1

doubt it would happen.  GNR is too big.   but I kind of feel like if they do open for the stones, Izzy will somehow find his way up on that stage (hopefully with GNR).  

only way I could see it happening is incase the needed the quick publicity to promote another box set or dvd release.  or heaven forbid to promote  a new song.

GN'R are as big of a band and have as much of a draw as the Stones do at this point...so no, they wouldn't open for the Stones.

Maybe  "Co-Headliner" type gigs.   But that would mean ticket prices in excess of $300+ for nosebleed seats ($500+ for lower level)  and that would actually hinder sales since Stones fans would not want to pay that much to see GN'R and GN'R fans would not want to pay that much to see the Stones.

So probably not happening, imo.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 3

Don't see it in the cards... at least not for now. 

But whenever the Stones decide to embark on their farewell tour, I think it would be rather cool if GnR opened for them for a show or two. Paying their respects, so to speak. Maybe joining them onstage for Salt of the Earth, too. 

1 hour ago, Gavin82 said:

So jus how busy are the Stadiums in NFL season? Its not like there games every day 7 days a week so no 1 else can use a Stadium is there??

Im from UK so i dont know owt bout NFL

Comparable to Premier League stadiums - the schedules are roughly the same in terms of how often each team plays. It's not unheard of for concerts to happen in NFL stadiums once the season has started; AC/DC's tour in 2015 was happening during NFL season and they played a few NFL stadiums. 

• Like 1