Avengers: Endgame

ZoSoRose

(This isn't a spoiler, this is speculation):

When you consider how many of these guys are done after this (Downey and Captain America) you would be led to believe that they will be the ones to kill Thanos. Since they're gone after this, might as well let them go down swinging hard, right?

I don't think that's exactly the way it's going to be. When you think about it, why does the character of Nebula exist if not to kill Thanos? She's a secondary character, an antagonist and the sole piece of motivation since she first showed up, was to have vengeance on her father. It's much more likely to me that she will be the one to do the deed.

Jeremy Renner was on Kelly and Ryan and Kelly kept asking him "who dies at the end". lol

You know they can't say. The Avengers movie has already made over 1 million dollars in China alone. 

These actors won't have to work another day in their lives!

Also Ryan said there might be a Hawkeye movie, but Renner said he knows nothing about that.

8 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Saw it today and it was fantastic. I laughed, I cried. It was an epic finale, and I loved it!

God! I hate crying in the movie theater. I might have to wait until the blue ray comes out. That way I can sob my heart out in the privacy of my own home.

Glad it's a great movie. Stan Lee would be proud!

• Like 1

So, yeah, it was great. It just wasn't as great as Infinity War.

Obviously, the two are totally different movies but I found the last one more epic, more focused and more emotionally resonant. 

My problems with it lie in it's plot setup, which leans too much into Inception and Back to the Future II. So the "goal" of the film supersedes the characters, especially, one character in particular....

Spoiler

Thanos is no longer much of a character - just someone who shows up from time to time to remind the audience that he's the bad guy. So, reducing him in scope, taking the stones away from him and giving the heroes all these advantages (plus, killing him in the first ten minutes) - he is nowhere near as formidable or unstoppable. It makes the final battle royale kind of flat. Oh well, it was a moderately good ending...

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Time travel is always a hard thing to enjoy in a plot.

They did a pretty good job imo. The only thing that is making me scratch my head is the final scene. But that scene is so good, so I am more accepting of it

5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

They did a pretty good job imo. The only thing that is making me scratch my head is the final scene. But that scene is so good, so I am more accepting of it

I've never been into it for fixing stuff that's already happened. Giving this one a pass, probably stream it whenever it ends up online.

Edited by moreblack

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

If you think about it in proper context, Infinity War is Empire Strikes Back. Endgame is Return of the Jedi.

That sums up a lot of the approach and a lot of the results.

And the first Avengers film is the original Star Wars, meaning Age of Ultron doesn’t matter! Which is good, cause that one was terrible!

seeing this tomorrow. Very excited.

9 hours ago, moreblack said:

Time travel is always a hard thing to enjoy in a plot.

Damn I hate time travel. I have to figure out what the hell is going on and how things are changed or not? lol

Oh well, if the characters all come back, I will be happy. I was very upset when Grout disappeared. He and Rocket are my favorites.

Saw it last night. 

The payoff at the end justifies the first half of setup, which felt like a bit of a slog. 

Kind of glad the story has reached its conclusion.  It was fun, but it needed to be wrapped up accordingly. 

I’d say it was an overall solid movie. Not great, but solid. For a conclusion to a 22-movie saga, it did pretty much what it needed to do. I didn’t like it as much as Infinity War, so I’d say it ranks at around #9 or #10 in my ranking of all mcu films. Need to sit on it just a little bit more, and then will figure out just where exactly it fits in the ranking.

the “five years later” thing didn’t entirely sit well with me cause, by that point, what’s the point of bringing everyone back? So much time has passed that so many families would be “out of sync” with each other. Certain couples would no longer be able to be together if say they were 15 when the snap happened and one got snapped and the other is 20 now. Siblings who were younger than ones who got snapped are now older. Certain spouses might’ve already had to move on to other partners and now suddenly their old partners are back from the dead. At that point, it’s better to just let everyone who survived the snap move on, and not try to bring anyone else back. Also, in a post-apocalyptic world like that, would shit like cell phones and Xbox Live and whatever all still work?

Tony’s relationship with his daughter was beautiful. I wanted the whole movie to be just him and her hanging out together, that’s how great RDJ was at playing a dad. This made his death all the more upsetting for me. Besides, couldn’t they have just used the time stone to bring him back to life or something? I get that they needed to make it feel like a true conclusion or whatever, but it just didn’t feel right for me.

i loved everything else, though! [\spoiler]

Edited by rocknroll41

On 4/25/2019 at 2:22 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

God! I hate crying in the movie theater. I might have to wait until the blue ray comes out. That way I can sob my heart out in the privacy of my own home.

Glad it's a great movie. Stan Lee would be proud!

Just cry in the theater, everybody will be crying as well.  I went to see this movie on the premiere and I was fighting them tears really hard.  I was tear-eyed.  It's the perfect closure for the 11 year journey.

Part of the journey is the end.  What an end!!!

• Like 1

One trivial thing that doesn't add up or make sense

After the Hulk does his own click that brings everyone back, how is it that Hawkeye's wife calls him on her cell phone?  She had been gone for five years.  Was Hawkeye paying to keep that number active for his own reasons?  Or did the Hulk, when imagining who to bring back, thought he should probably bring back everyone's mobile phone? 

Nothing big, but it made me laugh to imagine that Hawkeye's wife had access to her phone after reappearing

Also, why didn't they use the soul stone again after Tony died to bring him back?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, downzy said:

One trivial thing that doesn't add up or make sense

Hide contents

After the Hulk does his own click that brings everyone back, how is it that Hawkeye's wife calls him on her cell phone?  She had been gone for five years.  Was Hawkeye paying to keep that number active for his own reasons?  Or did the Hulk, when imagining who to bring back, thought he should probably bring back everyone's mobile phone? 

Nothing big, but it made me laugh to imagine that Hawkeye's wife had access to her phone after reappearing

I would imagine that it's not that Hulk brought them back but more that he made it so they never disappeared in the first place. Therefore the phone would be the same phone she had five years ago and he'd likely have the same number he had at the time too.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:21 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Damn I hate time travel. I have to figure out what the hell is going on and how things are changed or not? lol

Oh well, if the characters all come back, I will be happy. I was very upset when Grout disappeared. He and Rocket are my favorites.

And that's the problem, for any of that to have any meaning, it should be permanent, we should be upset they lost and that all those characters went away.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:16 AM, 31illusions said:

wow! I wouldn't be surprised if down the line another Avengers movies comes about with new younger actors playing the leads.

It seems they are doing this with the X Men movies. A lot of the actors are younger now than the original ones.

That's Hollywood, always want new and younger actors to play roles.

4 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

They should have ended the series after Infinity War. Now that would have been a perfect ending!

Yeah, but I hated that most of the Avengers disappeared especially Grout. I love him!

Because I enjoyed Infinity Wars so much and the approach they took with it, I still think they should have made more of an effort to do a film that was actually about fighting Thanos. That's not what this was, it was about finding infinity stones.

The problem is, they used that premise to do a "greatest hits" scenario where they return to past movies, hang out with ancillary characters and tip their hat to references far and wide.

Only in the last act does the battle even begin and by then, it's almost too late to make it amount to anything but emptying the toy-box and having all the action figures fight.

I guess it was enough to satisfy people but I was down for a film that was less about tying up every loose end and more about earning an epic victory. This is why I think taking the stones away from Thanos was a mistake - he became just another Vanilla villain after that and it hurt the great work they did building him into this walking juggernaut at the end of the last film.

• Like 1