GNR at Austin City Limits Music Festival *CONFIRMED*

Have there been any whispers of any other shows to be added? Got a trip over to the states in October and would ideally like to catch a show but don't want to arrange flights etc for a more convenient date / location to be announced.

Thanks.

I noticed this blurb over at https://www.aclfestival.com/tickets/ under the 1 day ticket option.

Would GNR be willing to end their show by 10PM? A streamlined 2 hour GNR gig (8-10PM) could actually be better than the 3.5 hour marathon gigs of 2017.

• Performances on 8 stages from 11am to 10pm on the day of your choice in Austin's Zilker Park
  • Like 2

I am considering going to the 2nd Austin City Limits Festival GNR show on October 11th. 
While I was a die-hard fan during the golden era (1987-1993), I haven't been following the band closely since 2017.
Axl's "Mickey Rose" performance on the SiriusXM Apollo Harlem, NY July 2017 broadcast completely turned me off.

What are the odds that Axl will "Phone It In" during the October mini-tour?
I would rather not waste my time (I'm a VERY busy person these days), or money at the Austin gig, if it's highly likely that it will be another "Mickey Rose & friends" performance.
Honest feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 hour ago, rockphantom said:

I am considering going to the 2nd Austin City Limits Festival GNR show on October 11th. 
While I was a die-hard fan during the golden era (1987-1993), I haven't been following the band closely since 2017.
Axl's "Mickey Rose" performance on the SiriusXM Apollo Harlem, NY July 2017 broadcast completely turned me off.

I would rather not waste my time (I'm a VERY busy person these days), or money at the Austin gig, if it's highly likely that it will be another "Mickey Rose & friends" performance.

Go to the show, enjoy Austin(it's a great city), you'll have a great time.  Remember, it's only rock n roll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockphantom said:

I honestly think it depends on whether there's new music on the horizon... if they do end up releasing a single/soundtrack song around September/October, I think Axl will show up prepared. If it's just another batch of shows to keep the paychecks coming in, well...

source.gif

If there's rumblings in the fall about new material, I'll be cautiously optimistic. Otherwise I expect him to sound worse than ever.... unfortunately. Axl's track record is pretty bad (at least in the last 8 years) as far as being prepared for a tour.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Please go 😀. Nevermind Axl voice. You know all the words just sing along the music. Worked for me. At the end of the show I had Mickey voice 😁. Just go and come back with story. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, rockphantom said:

I would say that if bad Axl vocals would ruin your enjoyment of the show totally then there's a high chance you won't have a good time and as you say you'd feel like your time and money were wasted. If you can look past it however then I'd say go and have a great time. :headbang:

Edited by Jw224

9 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Were you actually there at the New York show? Have you attended ANY shows this entire reunion period?

If you answered "no" to either of those questions then you just answered your ultimate one.

I have attended three shows on the NITL tour.
Both Vegas 2016 gigs and the Arlington, TX 2016 show.

The predictable NITL setlist no longer interests me.

I lived in Austin for 13 years and know what to expect at the ACL Festival.

I have been to the ACL fest before (my friend won VIP tix in 2011), and it wasn't my scene. LARGE crowds of people going in every direction tend to make me uncomfortable.

The main interest in going to the ACL gig was to catch up with good friends in Austin, who I haven't seen in 3 years. 
I have low expectations for the October GNR gigs.

4 hours ago, rockphantom said:

I have attended three shows on the NITL tour.
Both Vegas 2016 gigs and the Arlington, TX 2016 show.

The predictable NITL setlist no longer interests me.

I lived in Austin for 13 years and know what to expect at the ACL Festival.

I have been to the ACL fest before (my friend won VIP tix in 2011), and it wasn't my scene. LARGE crowds of people going in every direction tend to make me uncomfortable.

The main interest in going to the ACL gig was to catch up with good friends in Austin, who I haven't seen in 3 years. 
I have low expectations for the October GNR gigs.

Oh, I wasn't aware that you had lived in Austin.  Ever been to the Texas Chili Parlor?

On 5/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, rockphantom said:

I noticed this blurb over at https://www.aclfestival.com/tickets/ under the 1 day ticket option.

Would GNR be willing to end their show by 10PM? A streamlined 2 hour GNR gig (8-10PM) could actually be better than the 3.5 hour marathon gigs of 2017.

• Performances on 8 stages from 11am to 10pm on the day of your choice in Austin's Zilker Park

The longest ACL set ever was Paul McCartney last year (2 hours, 15 minutes). I doubt ACL gives them more than 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow-up on Andrew's comment, according to a reply I received on this thread, it makes sense to buy single day GNR ACL tickets when they go on sale.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aclfestival/comments/byywtn/tomorrow_is_the_day/eqnzhlp/

I will buy my ticket at 12 noon (Central U.S time) on Tuesday!

I think the tickets will cost around $115 including fees.

Edited by rockphantom

26 minutes ago, rockphantom said:

The daily lineup for ACL has been released.

Other than GNR, I have never heard of any of the other groups.
I'll just watch the 2-3 bands that go on before GNR on the main stage.

Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.aclfestival.com/lineup/by-day/

Friday is looking pretty strong. Unfortunately we will miss Tame Impala, but if we're lucky Raconteurs will lead into GnR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrew032302 said:

That looks like the case. So, for Friday

- Racs opens for GNR

- Thom Yorke opens for Tame

Oh man.....JWIII is gonna be such a jerk about playing right before GN'R. Even though he BLEW them off the stage at Bridge School years ago.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...