Axl's Agony Aunt

Greta Thunberg's Groupie

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Pretty sure theres only one man doing so?

Maybe. Consider it more of a general comment on all the grown men in the world who ridicule a courageous girl for fighting for our planet. Hell, it wouldn't have required so much courage if it weren't for such constant abuse from obtuse and immature men, just idealism, intelligence, dedication and the willingness to stand up for what you believe in - all of which are also admirable virtues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe. Consider it more of a general comment on all the grown men in the world who ridicule a courageous girl for fighting for our planet. Hell, it wouldn't have required so much courage if it weren't for such constant abuse from obtuse and immature men, just idealism, intelligence, dedication and the willingness to stand up for what you believe in - all of which are also admirable virtues.

I gotcha. I'm an immature man who makes poop jokes and didnt want them confused with mockery. :lol: Yeah, the response to her by some is pretty curious - grown men volunteering the information that a 16 year old can get under their skin, or some even fear her power. I dont necessarily lump Dies in with the worst of it though, m'man comes across a lot more playfully than the mob.

I also like that she's raising up a generation of activist to understand the power of the general strike, which can be applied to lots of issues :headbang:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Fuck me Soulie, bit dramatic innit? :lol:  Put your tampon back in.

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck me Soulie, bit dramatic innit? :lol:  Put your tampon back in.

What is dramatic? A scientific consensus that says we need to change our ways or else we might cause irreversible damage of unknown proportion to our ecosystems? A 15-year old girl who decided to act on this and now leads a global movement? Thousands of grown men who send her a barrage of abuse over social media, in the newspapers, and screaming it at her when they see her at rallies? It is all very dramatic, yes.

What is dramatic? A scientific consensus that says we need to change our ways or else we might cause irreversible damage of unknown proportion to our ecosystems? A 15-year old girl who decided to act on this and now leads a global movement? Thousands of grown men who send her a barrage of abuse over social media, in the newspapers, and screaming it at her when they see her at rallies? It is all very dramatic, yes.

Honestly, you ain't got better things to be getting wound up about than some tree hugger getting some stick? :lol: 

3 hours ago, soon said:

Greta Boat Fleet

I see what you did there. :lol: 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Woo hoo! Legal!!!! :lol:

*hides :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I see what you did there. :lol: 

Woo hoo! Legal!!!! :lol:

*hides :lol: 

This is a serious matter Christopher, we don't need your costermongers wit here, don't you know the planet is dying? :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It's a bit pathetic, grown men making fun of a 15-year old activist.

I guess she's studying at the school of life

1 hour ago, action said:

I guess she's studying at the school of life

That's usually what people from a council estate write on Facebook under "Education". :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Honestly, you ain't got better things to be getting wound up about than some tree hugger getting some stick? :lol: 

Nah, speaking out in defense of a remarkable young woman who has created a global environmental movement, and who is likely to go down in history as one of the most important people of this century, is one of the better things I have done today. What else should I get wound up about? Music? Movies? The gas prices?

• GNFNR 1

Im sure I skipped more high school then her. And look at me now, Im still the 5th smartest person to post on page 4 so far!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nah, speaking out in defense of a remarkable young woman who has created a global environmental movement, and who is likely to go down in history as one of the most important people of this century, is one of the better things I have done today.

OK, I take my remarks back, who am I to stand in the way of a robust heterosexual and his sense of fulfillment :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, soon said:

Im sure I skipped more high school then her. And look at me now, Im still the 5th smartest person to post on page 4 so far!

*hurriedly counts number of people on page 4 :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Nah, speaking out in defense of a remarkable young woman who has created a global environmental movement, and who is likely to go down in history as one of the most important people of this century, is one of the better things I have done today. What else should I get wound up about? Music? Movies? The gas prices?

I’ve had more impressive movements after a dodgy vindaloo. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I’ve had more impressive movements after a dodgy vindaloo. :lol: 

It's only going to grow and gain momentum. But unlike your bowel movements something good is going to come out in the end.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

It's only going to grow and gain momentum. But unlike your bowel movements something good is going to come out in the end.

To be honest I didn’t even mean that. I just thought it sounded funny and couldn’t resist a poop joke. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

Bottom line is: If everyone poops in the ocean like Greta, that will be progress! :lol:

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

To be honest I didn’t even mean that. I just thought it sounded funny and couldn’t resist a poop joke. :lol: 

Frankly, I don't really know what she wants to achieve, I just think she is seeeeeexy.

On second thoughts I will delete that joke.

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Unless he releases his dodgy vindaloo smashes into a composting toilet! 

Greta Thunberg sails across Atlantic for climate change summit

By Daisy Busel - @daisybusel

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Teenage climate change activist Greta Thunberg will today set sail across the Atlantic to attend UN summits on global warming in New York and Chile.

The 16-year-old will make the trip in a high-tech racing yacht in a bid to avoid planes and cruise ships and cut greenhouse gas emissions.

Miss Thunberg sparked a global movement of young people demanding action against climate change earlier this year after she went on strike from school for the cause.

The Swedish teenager will make her two-week journey in the 60ft Malizia II, which is fitted with solar panels and underwater turbines to generate zero-carbon electricity on board.

Columnist Brendan O’Neill has slated the teenager’s transatlantic crossing as a stunt, saying “no one can afford to do what she’s doing”.

He told talkRADIO’s Julia Hartley-Brewer: “I think Greta Thunberg’s journey across the Atlantic is the longest, most expensive, most ridiculous virtue signal of recent times.

“No one can afford the time of spending two weeks on the Atlantic Ocean and no one can afford the tens of thousands of pounds it would cost to do so.”

However environmental campaigner Dr Keith Baker praised the teenager, arguing: “I think she’s making an important point and if that inspires particularly younger people to really think about the way they’re travelling then that’s fantastic.”

After speaking at the UN Climate Action Summit in New York this September, Miss Thunberg will take a sabbatical year from school to visit Canada and Mexico and attend the UN climate conference in Santiago, Chile, in December - travelling entirely by train and bus.

Read more at https://talkradio.co.uk/news/greta-thunberg-sails-across-atlantic-climate-change-summit-19081431917#kMgqBrdhIgoQ9lxR.99

• Like 1

If someones doing it then at least those people can afford it. Case closed.

People sail the Atlantic all the time. 

Zipping back and forth across the Atlantic is actually how I'd like to spend my early retirement when I take up art theft. :lol:

The cult worship this girl receives is downright bizarre. “Listen to the children, they know better!” - said no healthy society in the history of man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flayer said:

The cult worship this girl receives is downright bizarre. “Listen to the children, they know better!” - said no healthy society in the history of man.

I think that the movement gets so much attention because she is saying what many adults are thinking. Why aren't we doing more? 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think that the movement gets so much attention because she is saying what many adults are thinking. Why aren't we doing more? 

Or thinking,

I've stowed away, and am planning to jump out screaming when we reach the USA. I can't see Greta, but I can smell something fishy; but that could be fish!

No seriously, I think it's admirable what Greta's doing, and at least she's taking the time and thought to stay true to her beliefs, unlike some others who don't practise what they preach, such as Meghan and Harry!: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9724858/prince-harry-megan-markle-private-jet-ibiza-carbon-footprint/

I think even Emma Thompson flying over for the Extinction Rebellion protest was an own-goal, and she could have video messaged support to be more ethical.