Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Huh? Who said there is something wrong with it? That is so not what we're talking about here.

well, we are:

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Rock is a music genre and it can be about anything you want. To narrow it down to sex and drugs is ignorant. Most rock bands I listen to hardly write about any of those topics and don't live the cliché lifestyle that you apparently associate with the ''rockstar lifestyle'' either.

I'm just asking you to clarify your unusual statement, where rock isn't about sex and drugs. I'm not sure if you're trolling or not.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sex%2C drugs%2C and rock n roll

A nickname for the lifestyle of Rock stars. The three things are stereotypically connected, and none can be separated from the others. 

Basically, the idea is that the lives of rock stars are in their bigger part those three things: having sex (with fans), using drugs(often illegal ones), and performing (this is 
what the rock and roll stands for).
Examples to Rock stars that lived the "sex, drugs, and rock n roll" way: 
1) 
Elvis Presley. Died of drug abuse. 
2) 
Guns and Roses. The guitarist Slash nearly died of drug abuse. 
3) Queen. Vocal 
Freddy Mercury died of AIDS after being infected by having unprotected sex.

15 hours ago, soon said:

I like your thinking. Theres gotta be more that can be done.

I wonder how far fire can reach across a moat, with the right wind? So as long as its wider than that and deep enough that the water doesnt all evaporate from the heat, seems like something worth exploring.

The fire itself doesn't need to reach across to physically come into contact with anything. The actual heat radiated by the fire can cause dry woodland etc to spontaneously combust without coming into contact with the flames. Wood will start to burn if it gets to about 250oC without any direct source of ignition.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, action said:

well, we are:

I'm just asking you to clarify your unusual statement, where rock isn't about sex and drugs. I'm not sure if you're trolling or not.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sex%2C drugs%2C and rock n roll

A nickname for the lifestyle of Rock stars. The three things are stereotypically connected, and none can be separated from the others. 

Basically, the idea is that the lives of rock stars are in their bigger part those three things: having sex (with fans), using drugs(often illegal ones), and performing (this is 
what the rock and roll stands for).
Examples to Rock stars that lived the "sex, drugs, and rock n roll" way: 
1) 
Elvis Presley. Died of drug abuse. 
2) 
Guns and Roses. The guitarist Slash nearly died of drug abuse. 
3) Queen. Vocal 
Freddy Mercury died of AIDS after being infected by having unprotected sex.

Urbandictionary? Ha.... ok then.

You say that rock is about sex, drugs and partying. When I think about rock, I don't think about any of those topics in general. Are there rock musicians who like to have sex, do drugs and party? I'm pretty sure there are many of them. Just like a lot of non rock stars like to indulge themselves in all of that. Are there rock songs about sex, drugs and partying? Yes, I'm sure a lot of them are about exactly that. Are there a lot of rock bands that hardly ever touch on those subjects and don't live the cliché lifestyle that people like you associate with rock? Yes, in fact most rock bands I listen to hardly write about those topics and don't live that ''rock and roll'' lifestyle. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with it, why you assume that, is beyond me.

Edited by EvanG

Just now, action said:

You say that rock is about sex, drugs and partying. When I think about rock, I don't think about any of those topics in general. Are there rock musicians who like to have sex, do drugs and party? I'm pretty sure there are many of them. Just like a lot of non rock stars like to indulge themselves in all of that. Are there rock songs about sex, drugs and partying? Yes, I'm sure a lot of them are about exactly that. Are there a lot of rock bands that hardly ever touch on those subjects and don't live the cliché lifestyle that people like you associate with rock? Yes, in fact most rock bands I listen to hardly write about those topics and don't live that ''rock and roll'' lifestyle. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with it, why you assume that, is beyond me.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

it's all find by me, ol' buddy. you can listen to anything you want. am I allowed to do the same?

Just now, EvanG said:

You most certainly are, who said you are not? And what does that have to do with any of this?

Well, we are arguing over wether the statement "rock is about sex, drugs & rock n roll" is, and I quote, "an ignorant thing to say".

you clarified, that you listen to bands that don't use those subjects in their lyrics. I said, that's a possibility, but that doesn't explain why my statement would be ignorant. Is everyone ignorant that doesn't share your musical taste, or what? 

Just now, action said:

Well, we are arguing over wether the statement "rock is about sex, drugs & rock n roll" is, and I quote, "an ignorant thing to say".

you clarified, that you listen to bands that don't use those subjects in their lyrics. I said, that's a possibility, but that doesn't explain why my statement would be ignorant. Is everyone ignorant that doesn't share your musical taste, or what? 

Sorry, I'm doing my best but it's hard to follow your logic on here sometimes.

We are not talking about music taste. We are not talking about whether or not sex, drugs and partying are bad either. You throw this at me but I have never said anything about that.

Again, all I'm saying is that rock is not just about sex, drugs and partying just because it's a stereotype.

There are a lot of movies made and books written about the same topics. It would be rather stupid to make a statement like ''movies and books are about sex, drugs and partying'', don't you think?

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Sorry, I'm doing my best but it's hard to follow your logic on here sometimes.

We are not talking about music taste. We are not talking about whether or not sex, drugs and partying are bad either. You throw this at me but I have never said anything about that.

Again, all I'm saying is that rock is not just about sex, drugs and partying just because it's a stereotype.

There are a lot of movies made and books written about the same topics. It would be rather stupid to make a statement like ''movies and books are about sex, drugs and partying'', don't you think?

fine, I accept that I got it all wrong, I misunderstood your posts, and I'm basically clueless.

I just need to know from you then, why u used the word "ignorant", which means "lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated". What part of my statements do you think can be described as such, and how does this relate to the multiple sources I quoted that explain the use of the phrase "sex, drugs & rock n roll" and which basically backs my statement.

You seem to accuse me of a certain "lack of knowledge" or "awareness" (see the definition of "ignorant) but I'm not sure what triggered you to use such an insulting term.

I'm of the opinion that it is always a big risk to accuse someone from a lack of education and knowledge. Generally, you will find very few really educated people who accuse other people of being "ignorant". Because really educated people understand that you can't know "everything". To the uneducated, that's all a mystery since they lack the necessary sophistication, education and knowledge to make such a statement. the only people I ever see using the term "ignorant", are uneducated extreme left twitter keyboard warriors :shrugs:

Edited by action

29 minutes ago, action said:

fine, I accept that I got it all wrong, I misunderstood your posts, and I'm basically clueless.

I just need to know from you then, why u used the word "ignorant", which means "lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated". What part of my statements do you think can be described as such, and how does this relate to the multiple sources I quoted that explain the use of the phrase "sex, drugs & rock n roll" and which basically backs my statement.

You seem to accuse me of a certain "lack of knowledge" or "awareness" (see the definition of "ignorant) but I'm not sure what triggered you to use such an insulting term.

I'm of the opinion that it is always a big risk to accuse someone from a lack of education and knowledge. Generally, you will find very few really educated people who accuse other people of being "ignorant". Because really educated people understand that you can't know "everything". To the uneducated, that's all a mystery since they lack the necessary sophistication, education and knowledge to make such a statement.

You are putting way too much thought into this.

I said it's ignorant because there is a lot more to rock than just those topics. Some of it clearly is about that, probably even a lot regarding some bands. If all you listen to are songs about sex and drugs and you believe that every rock musician lives a Jim Morrison lifestyle, then I can imagine you saying that to you rock is all about that, but that's not what you said. Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but well... I have got time to kill...

If you bother to look past that, you will find that there are a lot of rock bands that don't or hardly write about those topics and don't live that kind of lifestyle at all. To them rock most certainly isn't ''sex, drugs and partying'' and neither is it to me. Apparently it is to you, and that's fine, but maybe next time say ''to me'' instead to avoid confusion. 

Edited by EvanG

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

The fire itself doesn't need to reach across to physically come into contact with anything. The actual heat radiated by the fire can cause dry woodland etc to spontaneously combust without coming into contact with the flames. Wood will start to burn if it gets to about 250oC without any direct source of ignition.

Oh, neat. And the moats could potentially, inadvertently serve as wind corridors to feed the flame and also push the fire along it banks. But no wrong answers in brainstorming :headbang:

Edited by soon

To me rock n roll is about not pussying out of your own life. Its about claiming your space here on Earth. Often that means rebelling against the establishment.

Those exact same qualities are what one requires to solve the Climate Crisis! :headbang:

1 minute ago, soon said:

To me rock n roll is about not pussying out of your own life. Its about claiming your space here on Earth. Often that means rebelling against the establishment.

Those exact same qualities are what one requires to solve the Climate Crisis! :headbang:

Chuck Berry and Presley didn't give a shit about any of that wank.

47 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They weren't the biggest fans of age of consent either. Basically that means all climate change deniers are peadophiles. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

no, that's punk you're talking about

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I believe presley, for the few interviews that he did, clearly steered away from any remotely political issue

I can't talk about that, I can't talk about this.

hardly a spokesperson for any pression group (and that's the way it should be!)

edit: wrong interview

Edited by action