Jump to content
Axl's Agony Aunt

Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Recommended Posts

On 09/01/2020 at 5:14 PM, action said:

it's frustrating talking to someone who only believes what is scientifically proven.

You should try the opposite then. Its a delicate balance between not wanting to offend and explaining what a fact is without appearing to be patronizing.

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

We'll just make the world out of moat then shall we? :lol: 

Gazza will bring the KFC 😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dazey said:

We'll just make the world out of moat then shall we? :lol: 

Which climate change is doing by melting the polar ice caps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The-rise-in-temperature-anomalies climate change facts infographic visme

:wow:

is that the new tactic by climate fundies? to stun their opponents with hypnotising imagery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, action said:

:wow:

is that the new tactic by climate fundies? to stun their opponents with hypnotising imagery?

Don't worry. We're not even in there :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lio said:

Don't worry. We're not even in there :P

I tried to look up belgium in that chart, but my eyes hurt too much.

they make it hard to verify the facts, this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, action said:

I tried to look up belgium in that chart, but my eyes hurt too much.

they make it hard to verify the facts, this way.

Yes, I guess you just have to trust they aren't lying.

Belgium:

europe12.png
 

#ShowYourStripes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Belgium... they are so often overlooked... het verdriet van België

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And strangely enough, Norway was included in that demographics. Still, the point of that particular visualization wasn't for people to see climate change in their respective country, but to see that the overall trend, despite regional variations, is that the planet is getting warmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And strangely enough, Norway was included in that demographics. Still, the point of that particular visualization wasn't for people to see climate change in their respective country, but to see that the overall trend, despite regional variations, is that the planet is getting warmer.

So Belgium perhaps ain’t doin’ so much damage, hence not included?  Nice one Belgium...and cheers for Stella too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So Belgium perhaps ain’t doin’ so much damage, hence not included?  Nice one Belgium...and cheers for Stella too!

well, that's good to know then.

*orders another cheeseburger*

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Poor Belgium... they are so often overlooked... het verdriet van België

lucky belgium, rather. it means we can go on doing as we were

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England ain't on there either, so we must be doin' alright too, hurrah! :D

1 minute ago, action said:

well, that's good to know then.

*orders another cheeseburger and stuffs the styrofoam container down the throat of a duck whoose feet are tangled in the plastic beer can holder-togetherer ring thing*

 

Fixed :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So Belgium perhaps ain’t doin’ so much damage, hence not included?  Nice one Belgium...and cheers for Stella too!

It doesn't show how much damage they are doing, but how much their domestic climate is changing as measured by change sin temperatures over the last century or so. It simply isn't fair. The countries doing the most damage isn't necessarily the countries taking the most damage. This is more apparent from this little infographic:

Carbon-Dioxide-Emissions-vs-Vulnerability-to-Climate-Change-by-Nation-climate-change-facts-infographic

 

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

England ain't on there either, so we must be doin' alright too, hurrah! :D

Here's the change in temperature for England:

EUROPE-United_Kingdom-England-1884-2018-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It doesn't show how much damage they are doing, but how much their domestic climate is changing as measured by change sin temperatures over the last century or so. It simply isn't fair. The countries doing the most damage isn't necessarily the countries taking the most damage. This is more apparent from this little infographic:

Carbon-Dioxide-Emissions-vs-Vulnerability-to-Climate-Change-by-Nation-climate-change-facts-infographic

 

Here's the change in temperature for England:

EUROPE-United_Kingdom-England-1884-2018-

Could it not concievably get better like the way the big patch of blue at the beginning chilled out later on?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Could it not concievably get better like the way the big patch of blue at the beginning chilled out later on?

What the graphs show is that the temperature fluctuates (it is not a uniform gradient towards warmer weather); in periods it gets warmer, in periods it gets colder; but the overall trend (as you can see for the globe, for Norway, for Belgium, and for England) is that the trend is that it is getting warmer, and rapidly so. Of course, the climate fluctuates on a larger scale too (just think of periodic ice ages), and it is absolutely conceivable that at some point natural variation may result in a cooling period that takes us back to "normality". What worries the scientists though, is that the heating seen now (and shown in the graphs) is quicker than what we have measured has happened ever before, and that there is a human component to this that might suppress or overcome natural tendencies to cool in the future, resulting in a runaway process that will just result in the earth getting warmer and warmer. Anyway, these graphs doesn't really say anything about the causes, just demonstrates that the earth is warming, but with regional variation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What the graphs show is that the temperature fluctuates (it is not a uniform gradient towards warmer weather); in periods it gets warmer, in periods it gets colder; but the overall trend (as you can see for the globe, for Norway, for Belgium, and for England) is that the trend is that it is getting warmer, and rapidly so. Of course, the climate fluctuates on a larger scale too (just think of periodic ice ages), and it is absolutely conceivable that at some point natural variation may result in a cooling period that takes us back to "normality". What worries the scientists though, is that the heating seen now (and shown in the graphs) is quicker than what we have measured has happened ever before, and that there is a human component to this that might suppress or overcome natural tendencies to cool in the future, resulting in a runaway process that will just result in the earth getting warmer and warmer. Anyway, these graphs doesn't really say anything about the causes, just demonstrates that the earth is warming, but with regional variation.

How long have we been measuring...or is that a stupid question? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

How long have we been measuring...or is that a stupid question? :lol:

I think it is pretty good question. I guess it will vary from country to country. But scientists can calculate previous temperatures through more indirect means, and that way get temperatures and climate data from before humans even existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is glorious, this hotter weather. I spend most of the year with a tan like Roger Moore.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What the graphs show is that the temperature fluctuates (it is not a uniform gradient towards warmer weather); in periods it gets warmer, in periods it gets colder; but the overall trend (as you can see for the globe, for Norway, for Belgium, and for England) is that the trend is that it is getting warmer, and rapidly so. Of course, the climate fluctuates on a larger scale too (just think of periodic ice ages), and it is absolutely conceivable that at some point natural variation may result in a cooling period that takes us back to "normality". What worries the scientists though, is that the heating seen now (and shown in the graphs) is quicker than what we have measured has happened ever before, and that there is a human component to this that might suppress or overcome natural tendencies to cool in the future, resulting in a runaway process that will just result in the earth getting warmer and warmer. Anyway, these graphs doesn't really say anything about the causes, just demonstrates that the earth is warming, but with regional variation.

that's what I'm trying to tell you all along!

nobody, and I mean nobody, can be blind for the fact that if not the climate, then at least weather isn't what it used to be. What goes on in australia, canada, spain, venice... of course the climate is changing.

But it is like you say: all these graphs etc, do not say anything about the cause.

in stead of beating a dead horse (you're right, climate is changing, we can end that discussion), I'd rather see proof of the causes of climate change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, action said:

lucky belgium, rather. it means we can go on doing as we were

I think they just forgot about you. My shitty country is mentioned and there can't be that much difference between the two.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is glorious, this hotter weather. I spend most of the year with a tan like Roger Moore.

I'd advise you to wear a hat or use a lot of sunscreen for that bald head of yours, though!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think they just forgot about you. My shitty country is mentioned and there can't be that much difference between the two.

 

and how happy I am for that. being forgotten an unnoticed makes for such a comfortable position. don't need no snoopers around here. let peace be, where there is peace I always say.

Edited by action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, action said:

that's what I'm trying to tell you all along!

nobody, and I mean nobody, can be blind for the fact that if not the climate, then at least weather isn't what it used to be. What goes on in australia, canada, spain, venice... of course the climate is changing.

But it is like you say: all these graphs etc, do not say anything about the cause.

in stead of beating a dead horse (you're right, climate is changing, we can end that discussion), I'd rather see proof of the causes of climate change

I guess the purpose of these graphs is convince those who point to regional cooling as evidence that the earth isn't warming up, by showing that although there are regional fluctuations, and at times some areas experience colder than usual weather, the overall trend, in each region and on the planet as a whole, is rapidly increasing temperatures. 

I am afraid I am also not entirely convinced everybody agrees that we are experiencing a rapidly warming planet. Some people refuse to accept even that in these polarized times.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is glorious, this hotter weather. I spend most of the year with a tan like Roger Moore.

I think you meant Kojac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think they just forgot about you. My shitty country is mentioned and there can't be that much difference between the two.

I'd advise you to wear a hat or use a lot of sunscreen for that bald head of yours, though!

Luckily I have a full head of hair then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I Iook at those graphs I say to myself, ''2016, that was a good season''. ''2018, basking in heat at Cheltenham that year I was''.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×