Slash to record in Axl's Malibu studio on Saturday 04/27/2019

My take is that because it's a Jubilee, an amp Slash hasn't used to record any GN'R material with in the past because it's mainly used just as his live amp, my guess is that he is re-doing bits and pieces of his work over the top of a NITL live album.

It would probably just take an afternoon, or a weekend at the most, which would fit with his schedule of getting back on the road.

Axl's house studio will be chock-full of NITL material that he'll be going through, thinks something needs a bit of polishing from Slash for an otherwise perfect song, and he's called him in to get it done.

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Slash also prefers to record in Analog but I am guessing that is out the window.. Unless he can record somehow can only record his parts that way.

Well he did LTD with Pro Tools so he probably wouldn't care as much this time.

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

Makes me laugh when GNR fans try to diminish Slash’s songwriting abilities when, since leaving the band he’s come up with Serial Killer, Neither Can I, Beggars & Hangers On, Been There Lately, Back To The Moment, Fall To Pieces, Slither, Loving The Alien, Messages, Gotten, Starlight, By The Sword, Anastasia, Beneath The Savage Sun, The Unholy, The Great Pretender.

His post Classic-Guns catalogue combined is a lot more substantial than Axl’s one solitary  album.

Agreed

21 minutes ago, ZoSo said:

My take is that because it's a Jubilee, an amp Slash hasn't used to record any GN'R material with in the past because it's mainly used just as his live amp, my guess is that he is re-doing bits and pieces of his work over the top of a NITL live album.

It would probably just take an afternoon, or a weekend at the most, which would fit with his schedule of getting back on the road.

Axl's house studio will be chock-full of NITL material that he'll be going through, thinks something needs a bit of polishing from Slash for an otherwise perfect song, and he's called him in to get it done.

He used the jubilee on KOHD, a little bit on ain't life grand, and on the whole LTD record. At this point it's probably his #1 go to amp for recording too.

9 minutes ago, Creed said:

since the songs are actually done slash and duff could just do their instrumentals recordings somewhere else and send it to Axl.

Maybe. But in Axl's world, songs are only done when they're released, and even then chances are he will tell you they weren't done yet.

But I've no idea what might be going on in Axl's studio today. Anything is possible. It's GNR.

I really hope it won't be a CD2. CD was great, but they should make an album together, not just of old ideas from Axl. They should all bring their song ideas to the table or will start where it ended in 96, when Axl was trying to dominate everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackmore said:

I really hope it won't be a CD2. CD was great, but they should make an album together, not just of old ideas from Axl. They should all bring their song ideas to the table or will start where it ended in 96, when Axl was trying to dominate everything.

It will be based on CD II, that's a fact. Duff said "Axl has some magnificent stuff" when asked about a the new album. And Slash also mentioned it in a few interviews.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2019/02/25/duff-mckagan-says-axl-rose-has-magnificent-material-for-the-new-guns-n-roses-album/

https://www.nme.com/news/music/axl-rose-is-working-on-a-ton-of-new-guns-n-roses-tracks-2369703#ylWs16GTuFWxVqej.99

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, blackmore said:

CD2 lyrics are already recorded. that is a massive advantage time wise when trying to work with someone like Axl :) 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, Towelie said:

All former guitarists parts will be removed, I would bet my life on it.

It's highly unlikely they will have Slash re-record all of the Robin/Bucket/Bumble/DJ? material.

Bucket and Bumble's playing style and heightened ability isn't anything like Slash's either too. 

20 hours ago, vloors said:

Hilarious the people that think they will leave buckets/robins/bumbles/ashbas parts on any new release.

Whatever they use will be redone with the current lineup. 

Those people may be laughing at you when the album is released. Axl didn't re-record all of Bucket's parts on CD, even when he had a new player who was more than capable of doing so (Bumble), which was released years after Bucket left. It's likely Bucket will be on the album in some form. Casual listeners are not going to know the difference anyways. 

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

We made a bet once.

You said: 

If anyone wants to bet that Axl will never release the so-called Chinese Democracy II, I'm taking bets - starting from $1000. Serious people only.

I said:

I'll do it. Now I don't think CD2 will be released in the exact same form as it is now. I believe that some songs may get new solos by Slash or some other new guitarist.... Most likely Slash though. I also believe that they might record some brand new songs for the album. But with 99% certainty I'd say that songs like The General will be released. So yeah, I'm willing to bet S1000, and this is a serious bet.

This was before the reunion.

I have sent you a PM regarding the bet.  Thanks for quoting my post as I didn't remember anything about it.

21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Those people may be laughing at you when the album is released. Axl didn't re-record all of Bucket's parts on CD, even when he had a new player who was more than capable of doing so (Bumble), which was released years after Bucket left. It's likely Bucket will be on the album in some form. Casual listeners are not going to know the difference anyways. 

Right, but at the same time none of those players were Slash.  At that point, Axl could have anyone and everyone on CD because the public wasn't clamoring to hear any particular guy solo on that album because the one and only guy they really wanted to hear on lead guitar, was in Velvet Revolver at the time

From even just a purely marketing-oriented look on a new GNR album it would make little sense to go "GNR's first album with Slash in 26 years, featuring Buckethead and BBF on lead guitar for a lot of it"

As it is right now, I personally can't imagine any guitar solo that isn't Slash on a new GNR album unless it is Fortus - especially when it is a guitar player who left the band 15 years ago and who's guitar tracks are older than that even at this point

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Right, but at the same time none of those replacement players were Slash.  At that point, Axl could have anyone and everyone on CD because the public wasn't clamoring to hear any particular guy solo on that album because the one and only guy they really wanted to hear solo, was in Velvet Revolver at the time

From even just a purely marketing-oriented look on a new GNR album it would make little sense to go "GNR's first album with Slash in 26 years, featuring Buckethead and BBF on lead guitar for a lot of it"

As it is right now, I personally can't imagine any guitar solo that isn't Slash on a new GNR album unless it is Fortus

I get what you are saying, but I think they could get away with Slash playing solos and lead on 3 or 4 songs, then releasing the album. Most, if not all of the songs intended for CD2 have been "finished" for years. No doubt some will be altered with new players from their original intended final version. If GN'R marketing says "GN'R's first album in years with Slash" to promote the album, and if the album only has one song with Slash on it, it would work. But I think it's more likely we will have Slash on 3-4 songs, half of the songs at most, than him re-re-recording every track. I'm certain some of the CD2 tracks don't fit his style, and would sound off without being totally re-worked.

Fortus plays lead on at least one track intended for what was once referred to as CD2, so we will hear that one for sure. 

I suppose time will tell, in another 10 years we may find out. Haha just kidding. I think it will be much sooner than that.

I do wish the old new GN'R would have released the followup to CD in or around 2010, it would have been nice to have all or most of that material out there so this new old band could actually make an entire album together. It would give us a lot more tracks for comparison too between the many different lineups. 

I know in 2008 the band had at least 16 named songs intended for CD2 (Most were original tracks, and a few covers) that didn't appear on CD. Goin Down was on the list, and can probably be excluded at this point, so that's 15 songs which is definitely an album. In that list, there were also an additional 4 different versions of songs we heard on CD, I do not believe these were versions intended for the remix album because they don't have the same club feel the leaked remixed songs had.  I can't imagine them having Slash play on all of these, assuming they are all released. I'm thinking we will hear most, if not all of the 15 songs I mentioned above eventually. At the very least, they will release the "big guns" like Atlas, The General, Soul Monster, etc.

Edited by Sweersa