Slash to record in Axl's Malibu studio on Saturday 04/27/2019

On 02/05/2019 at 6:00 PM, Rodzilla72 said:

[I've been lurking without posting for a few years now but...] Oh man this picture again? It's clearly a stock image- Google something like "stock photo ghostly figure hand at window," click Images, and poke around with some of the top navigation keywords. 

On a related note, I can't even count how many threads on this forum have made me wonder why no one's thought of making a tragi-comic "Waiting for Guffman" style documentary about the fans here and their eternal waiting and faith that someday this band will release an album without a 20-something year delay. And spend those two decades trying to dissect a series of red herring clues for an explanation as to why the new music has yet to materialize and/or why its release may actually be imminent. Sorry- I guess that last bit should be my entry in the What's Your Unpopular GN'R Opinion thread.:shrugs:

On 02/05/2019 at 6:17 PM, 6lake sa66ath said:

No, I 100% agree, the perpetual wait for new GN'R music deserves a Netflix doco!

Funnily enough I have had this convo with the staff team about what a cool Netflix doc could be made about the core fanbase. I think even the normies would dig it! :lol:

I think it was after watching Wild Wild West on Netflix it occurred to me - not saying we're cult like but...

Spoiler

it's kind of a bit like that. :rofl-lol:

Sadly I don't have the skills, money or contacts. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SAU3R said:

A friend of mine is a big U2 fan, saw them on every tour since Achtung Baby and after the concert in cologne in 2017 he said it was his last one because it felt like 'a lesson in politics' 

I like U2's music but Bono made me sell the tickets I had for their last tour (best choice I ever made) 

Vedder is the same way

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cruel Intentions said:

So I'm just reading through this entire thread now. Can someone sum up what this turned out to be? It's a U-2 cover? Why is this being rumored exactly?

No one knows for sure what they were recording as of yet. Here's hoping we find out sooner than later!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ive seen U2 3 times. He certainly doesnt talk as much as a lot of you are making it out to be. Each show was professional and all around spectacular 

Could be because he's not in Europe when you've seen him

On 4/28/2019 at 4:03 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

This is the 'obvious' way to look at it, but being a GNR fan has made me cynical. :lol:

Technically, the current band is Axl, Slash and Duff. At this point, if they were to release an album, I wouldn't be surprised if it featured guitar parts from both Buckethead and Izzy, and Fortus just played those parts live. That's how much of a circus this band is, lol. I think Fortus will be a noticeable presence in his own right on any future release, but I don't know if Axl would completely scrap the other CD-era guitar tracks.

If Robin and Bucket came up with brilliant unreleased solos and ideas, it will be foolish to try to discard it all. My guess is Slash's playing will be all over the album but 3 or 4 Bucket and Robin solos that fit the big picture will do no harm. If it's There Was A Time level, if it's like Robin's This I Love solo, and it's a part of a tune that fits with the new recordings it could co exist if Slash plays on most of it.

Axl found, in Robin and Bucket, 2 guitar players that in the studio reached the quality standard at least on some of the songs. Slash proved live in the NITL tour that he still got it, but he can't top all of Bucket's and Robin's solos for Axl's material. I suspect the same will be true for the next album if/when it comes out.

You don't waste great ideas, hard to come by. You use AAA material if it suits your current musical vision but I could be way off and Slash just plays all of it but I doubt it.

If the art comes first, use the best shit you got.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EvanG said:

That's weird, man. I've never been to a U2 concert, but I can't imagine that his political statements or speeches (whether I'd agree with it or not) would ruin the music experience for me, unless his speeches are longer than the setlist, but I doubt that to be the case.

I've never been to one as well, I really regret not seeing their Joshua tree tour 2017, I feel like in this tour the music was the main aspect, while the i+e and e+i tour were more about the video screens and the political speeches 

Their Apollo show in 2018(?) was good as well, stripped down, no big screens, just music

And when I'm at a show, imo the main focus should always be on the music and in the case of U2, it's easier and cheaper to watch their earlier shows on YouTube 

This is my last U2 related post in this thread, sorry :D

1 hour ago, Cruel Intentions said:

So I'm just reading through this entire thread now. Can someone sum up what this turned out to be? It's a U-2 cover? Why is this being rumored exactly?

Man, I was just goofing about the U2 cover because the thread had veered a bit.  Didnt mean to confuse anyone, sorry. 

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2019 at 2:33 PM, Oldest Goat said:

I'm pretty sure Down By The Ocean ended up as that solo Izzy song mate..

correction: Down By The Ocean is a tune that remains unreleased. Axl confirmed it, it was on the Axl chats if I'm not mistaken where he talked about "CD ll".

4 hours ago, Derick said:

Brazil has been fucked up for a long long time, buddy! It was over 14 years of pain!!! ;)

Oh yeah, this country is fucked for a long while now and nothing really changed with the current president aside the SJW attacks on politics because he is a right wing christian and the gay community sees this as an evil thing lol

I didnt vote him and it wasn't my desire to have a right wing president but the country was fucked since forever, our last three presidents are all in jail for a lot of crimes so... The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by default_

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

correction: Down By The Ocean is a tune that remains unreleased. Axl confirmed it, it was on the Axl chats if I'm not mistaken where he talked about "CD ll".

In the chats, someone posted a list of rumored unreleased song titles from the CD era (Down By The Ocean among them) for Axl to confirm.

Axl confirmed that title and added it's a song by Izzy (probably hinting it was brought to the table when Izzy came back in the fold to write with Duff in 95).

It probably ended up on Izzy's album 'Fire' after being retitled 'Box', though it's just an educated guess and we don't have an official confirmation.

7 hours ago, Derick said:

Brazil has been fucked up for a long long time, buddy! It was over 14 years of pain!!! ;)

Not true at all. 

The last 4 years were really complete garbage, but 2000 to 2014 were a good time of socioeconomic growth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ive seen U2 3 times. He certainly doesnt talk as much as a lot of you are making it out to be. Each show was professional and all around spectacular 

I agree!  Same with Pearl Jam too

I have seen Pearl Jam and U2 multiple times, and at least their last few tours they haven't been THAT political overall, maybe a couple fast comments here and there but nothing that should really bug people that much

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

Down by the Ocean is the song Sweet Caress from Izzys On Down the Road.

2 hours ago, ElJungmano said:

Down by the Ocean is the song Sweet Caress from Izzys On Down the Road.

No, it's not on any of Izzy's albums. It's a song Axl asked Izzy to give him and he agreed.