Gibbo

Slash to record in Axl's Malibu studio on Saturday 04/27/2019

1 minute ago, megaguns1982 said:

I keep thinking the same thing, hopefully they’ve chosen a song and just need to do some minor tinkering to submit to the label

Slash's tour picks up on May 3rd in Mexico, so unless they've been doing some top secret recording and this is a continuance of that, I would imagine they're working on 1 track for a specific reason. 

I'm not trying to get my hopes up, as he very well could be coming in to lay down overdubs on a NITL live album, but damn if this doesn't look promising.

I know it would bug a lot of people but I'm ok with the new album being touched up old stuff. They haven't done a record together in 26 years, they've never even done a record without Izzy, this is a great way to tread the waters & rediscover chemistry. Part of me believes that stuff from the 93-95 sessions will be included though, since that post about GN'R management picking up the tapes from that storage space a few months ago.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but could this be Slash's first visit to Axl's house since that infamous drunken night in 2005?

He already went to Axl's house on October 2015. They met and had dinner, probably to talk about everything as they haven't spoken in 20 years, but also to arrange the reunion that ended up being announced a few months later.

4 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

I'm not trying to get my hopes up, as he very well could be coming in to lay down overdubs on a NITL live album, but damn if this doesn't look promising.

I know it would bug a lot of people but I'm ok with the new album being touched up old stuff. They haven't done a record together in 26 years, they've never even done a record without Izzy, this is a great way to tread the waters & rediscover chemistry. Part of me believes that stuff from the 93-95 sessions will be included though, since that post about GN'R management picking up the tapes from that storage space a few months ago.

Why would Slash need to re-record live parts at Axl's house? It's much more likely that he's going there because Axl has the Chinese stuff...

I'm not going to go crazy and say that they're actually going to write stuff there, because that seems too far-fetched. But him going to re-record (and give his own touch of course) to CD leftovers, now that makes a lot of sense.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

He already went to Axl's house on October 2015. They met and had dinner, probably to talk about everything as they haven't spoken in 20 years, but also to arrange the reunion that ended up being announced a few months later.

Why would Slash need to re-record live parts at Axl's house? It's much more likely that he's going there because Axl has the Chinese stuff...

I'm not going to go crazy and say that they're actually going to write stuff there, because that seems too far-fetched. But him going to re-record (and give his own touch of course) to CD leftovers, now that makes a lot of sense.

Niven had said that Slash told him that Axl was holed up at home going through CD leftovers, so I think you're right.

Does seem a little weird to suddenly start recording stuff now, a week before he leaves for tour.

Terminator: Dark Fate arrives Oct 31st-Nov 1st so there is a hypothetical goal. Not sure sticking songs on bad Terminator sequels is a good move but I don't suppose the vector matters.

• Like 1

How many Tuesdays are left in 2019? ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I'll believe it when I hear it.

Same. But bear in mind that this isn't Bumblefoot, and this operation just finished a tour that landed at fucking #2 of all time. I don't exactly see them spinning their wheels, but we'll see soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the best news for a few years regarding GNR. I suppose that’s one way of getting Axl in a studio by recording at his house :lol:  personally I think it’s a new song possibly for terminator 6 rather than a new album at this point but who knows. An album won’t be too far away and I’m hoping we will get at least some newly written songs thrown in there. 

Someone mentioed that he could be doing overdubs for a live album and that kinda took the air out of my balloon a little. I'm really hoping for new studio material instead of live cuts. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Someone mentioed that he could be doing overdubs for a live album and that kinda took the air out of my balloon a little. I'm really hoping for new studio material instead of live cuts. 

A live album would be a huge cop out

• Like 1

Maybe slash told the truth when he said, that they didn't start working on a new album... Only a song for a movie soundtrack for now? 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He said they weren't going to release a live album though, unless they changed their minds. Although Slash has never been one to try to doctor live recordings, that's Axl's thing.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I could see them putting out a bluray maybe, but does anyone purchase live albums anymore? It's unfortunate, but I don't really think it's the "thing to do" anymore. It's the era of digital singles now. 

Edited by sofine11

27 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

A live album would be a huge cop out

Couldn't agree more. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Terminator: Dark Fate arrives Oct 31st-Nov 1st so there is a hypothetical goal. Not sure sticking songs on bad Terminator sequels is a good move but I don't suppose the vector matters.

given the timing of the festival dates maybe they'll premiere that stuff live few weeks before the movie releases. But it's interesting that it could be for a live record given the rumors of a live release coming out. 

24 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I could see them putting out a bluray maybe, but does anyone purchase live albums anymore? It's unfortunate, but I don't really think it's the "thing to do" anymore. It's the era of digital singles now. 

Live albums are still very much a thing for legacy acts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping for one at all. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Of course this could be Axl learning from past mistakes and not going down the path of recording from a external studio over a number of years. It's very possible Axl has created his own HQ studio as metallica and the Foo Fighters have done, with band members coming into record their separate parts when it suits all involved. I can not see this guys spending large amounts of time all together in a studio. 

Thats not how it's done these days. 

I also personally believe this is a sign that the band now have greater control over their music and how it will be produced and released without a major label mudding the waters. UMG might be involved but only at a curtain level in terms of control over the process and release. 

Edited by kiwiguns

Slash to record at Axl's house without Duff, Richard or Frank = Slash re-doing CD 2 guitar parts.  :facepalm:

1 minute ago, 31illusions said:

Slash to record at Axl's house without Duff, Richard or Frank = Slash re-doing CD 2 guitar parts.  :facepalm:

Or as others have suggested; he’s just overdubbing NITL recordings for a live album, to make them sound neater, like they did back in the day for Live Era.

the original post with the amp pics did refer to the upcoming recordings as “for new material” though, so there’s that, at least. It’s possible the amp guy just misunderstood what caram told him tho.

23 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

At long as it's studio material that's "new" to me, I'm totally fine with that. 

• Like 2