Riki Rachtman podcast

Anyone been listening to any of this?  I have been.  Lots of GnR talk.  I just listened to one episode where he discusses the Vince/Axl feud in detail.   And he also played a clip of Vince onstage with Guns back at the Cathouse playing some AC/DC.  Good shit...great stories-  https://musicplayers.com/2019/04/riki-rachtman-launches-cathouse-hollywood-podcast-with-stories-of-the-infamous-club/

• Like 1

Im enjoying it too! I really like the approach with just one event of many focused on per episode. Its cool that they have people with different memories of the events to give a fuller picture. The length is great, short and sweet.

I can almost picture animation accompanying the narration.

Vince Neil's ex-wife, Sharise, also did a podcast episode recently about the Izzy incident that involved her and the subsequent Axl/Vince feud. She said that Riki doesn't remember the story well and she may be on one of the next episodes of his podcasts to tell it again.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Anyone listen to the latest episode with Gilby?  I thought it was very interesting.  Some great discussions about GNR including:

1. Gilby talks about how he got the GNR job and a funny story about how he found out he got the job
  2. He discusses how he broke his hand riding motorcycles and they called Izzy back to fill-in for him; he expected that Izzy was going to come back full-time after that
  3. Mentioned that he was friendly with Izzy before Izzy left GNR and they stayed in touch while Gilby was in the band
  4. Says that Matt Sorum keeps in touch with Izzy

One big miss is that he didn't ask about Axl performing with him in 2000 at the Cat Club. Give it a listen.  

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/httpswwwstitchercompodcastradiocathousecathousehollywood/cathouse-hollywood

Edited by WAR41
Link
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

Anyone listen to the latest episode with Gilby?  I thought it was very interesting.  Some great discussions about GNR including:

1. Gilby talks about how he got the GNR job and a funny story about how he found out he got the job
  2. He discusses how he broke his hand riding motorcycles and they called Izzy back to fill-in for him; he expected that Izzy was going to come back full-time after that
  3. Mentioned that he was friendly with Izzy before Izzy left GNR and they stayed in touch while Gilby was in the band
  4. Says that Matt Sorum keeps in touch with Izzy

One big miss is that he didn't ask about Axl performing with him in 2000 at the Cat Club. Give it a listen.  

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/httpswwwstitchercompodcastradiocathousecathousehollywood/cathouse-hollywood

Its just ending as I saw your post. Great episode.

To point 1 - He changed the story about joining Guns from having 2 weeks to learn the songs to having 1 week. Im guessing he's counting the week he auditioned a few times, then the one week he had from getting the gig to the first show? But I like the two weeks version since he shares that with Mel and Matt.

To point 4 - Izzy has trashed Matts drumming in the press back in the day. Izzy wasnt in the studio during UYI much. So he and Matt weren't super connected. Then there was The Project which was brief and by most accounts frustrating. Then they 'crossed paths' and decided to do FP Money. The lyrics of FP Money leads me to believe that Matt and Izzy may have bonded over potential reunion business? Maybe they even had side bar conversations during the early talks about the reunion? And maybe are now closer than ever, or Gilby was merely referring to how they recorded a track?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, soon said:

To point 1 - He changed the story about joining Guns from having 2 weeks to learn the songs to having 1 week. Im guessing he's counting the week he auditioned a few times, then the one week he had from getting the gig to the first show? But I like the two weeks version since he shares that with Mel and Matt.

To point 4 - Izzy has trashed Matts drumming in the press back in the day. Izzy wasnt in the studio during UYI much. So he and Matt weren't super connected. Then there was The Project which was brief and by most accounts frustrating. Then they 'crossed paths' and decided to do FP Money. The lyrics of FP Money leads me to believe that Matt and Izzy may have bonded over potential reunion business? Maybe they even had side bar conversations during the early talks about the reunion? And maybe are now closer than ever, or Gilby was merely referring to how they recorded a track?

Wow, great analysis of those answers.  I definitely didn't give it as much thought as you did.  Aside from that, it was a great interview.  I don't want to spoil how Gilby learned he was in GNR.  Probably one of the more telling instances of how dysfunctional that band could be back then.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

Its interesting i wish there was more info on the recording process of illusions. In the video below from 1.55 onwards, , it sounds like all members were together.....unless izzy may havr come in during different periods and done his parts later.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its interesting i wish there was more info on the recording process of illusions. In the video below from 1.55 onwards, , it sounds like all members were together.....unless izzy may havr come in during different periods and done his parts later.

Agreed, we need so much more info about this stuff!

Loll, Matt mentions that 'he Duff and Slash stood together in the big recording studio room, while Izzy preferred to stand in a vocal both' as in separately from them?? Oh, this band, eh? :lol:

Its my understanding that Duff, Slash, Izzy and Matt banged out the basic tracks in 3 weeks. And that seems to align with what Matt says here about 2-3 takes per song. And then, according to the general theme of Slashs narrative, Izzy didnt come back in to spruce anything up or do overdubs - which is why Slash would say he's doubled up and in some cases embellished Izzy's parts. And that would be in keeping with what Clink says about AFD - that they did scratch takes as a band and it was like pulling teeth to get Izzy back in for a few overdubs.

And we know that Matt was back in studio at other times, like his beluga caviar 'Pat Boone, Debbie Boone session with Axl on the trilogy drum tracks. Slash was back lots.

And I had in mind that Izzy was largely absent from the writing sessions (Izzy once referred to "learning" the songs for the tour). Slash says that Izzy basically turned in a demo tape and fucked off. Izzys not on anything from Mates (LA) as far as I know? And theres the story about Izzy arriving late to the Chicago writing sessions, seeing Axls antics and turing around and drying away, lol. He eventually came back. But again, his time with Matt was significantly reduced at this stage as well.

On the road Izzy was riding his own bus while Matt flew with the band. They weren't even on many video shoots together. #wheresizzy

So, yeah, they recorded together for a brief time. And that seems to be the most time they spent in close proximity until The Project?