Why Are We Still Rewarding Guns N' Roses in 2019? (Esquire Article)

Just now, Fourteenbeers said:

Maybe he thinks it's based on true events :lol:

wasnt it? based on axls dog ? 

regardless of what song hes talking about fuck that piece of trash, and fuck esquire. i wont even give him a fuckin click... the title of the article is enough... and the reason we're still rewarding gnr in 2019 is because afd alone is worth more than anything this scumbag "blogger" will ever amount to

Weird article. First he calls GNR humorless and then he's complaining about "feel my serpentine". I mean really?  He's complaining about UTLH, an obvious joke song and then he's complaining about a man with a KFC bucket in his head. Who's the one with no sense of humor here?

Oh and since when has Slash and Duff not been official members of the band?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Towelie said:

It wasn't even funny though. There are so many things to take the piss out of GNR for, but AFD isn't one of em. 

Not one mention of an unbalanced, overweight ginger man who hasn't managed to sing an entire song in key for at least a decade and is cared for by a live-in Brazilian nanny. Not one mention of Slash's poor oral hygiene. No mention of Adlers cocks-for-cash habit.

That's exactly what I think when I read stuff like this. There's so many legit complaints about GNR but these people always seem to miss the mark. 

It's clear some is some hipster who wants you to know how much cooler the music he likes is. I've got news for him, Golden Hour isn't anywhere near as good as people keep claiming it is. So the Kacey mention at the end means nothing. 

• Like 1

I'm all for savaging GNR where it's warranted but this isn't very cutting.

Me and my middle-school pal... too cool for WTTJ... saying baby in a song, how precious.... SCOM is a power ballad so GNR are the same as hair metal. 

St. Louis. UYI was bloated. Chidem was a shitshow. It reads like a checklist from a pretentious blogger with a quota to fill. 

"At the time, the narrative around "Appetite for Destruction" was that it was a punk-rock takedown of the then-ubiquitous genre of hair metal"

That's still  the narrative... baby!

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Towelie said:

It wasn't even funny though. There are so many things to take the piss out of GNR for, but AFD isn't one of em. 

Not one mention of an unbalanced, overweight ginger man who hasn't managed to sing an entire song in key for at least a decade and is cared for by a live-in Brazilian nanny. Not one mention of Slash's poor oral hygiene. No mention of Adlers cocks-for-cash habit.

I once read that Slash did the cocks-for-cash thing also but cannot remember where I read it.

Why are we rewarding GNR in 2019? Are people going to be talking about Billie Eilish in 2050? Maybe the whole saga of a band that pushed all the envelopes, including the low points, is something people pine for in this era of Spotify-core pablum. Gimme some drama!

Gimme a saga... I want a saga...

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Was just coming to post this. What a dbag. If you don't like GNR, good for you. But to write a whole article about you not liking them? That's just a weird move. 

Agree 100%.   Ironic that this article will be so popular because GnR is so fucking popular.  

3 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Who the fuck is Billie Eilish? 

Dave Ghrol said she was the next nirvana or something, then I listened to one of her songs and... Oh, ok.

Its the kind of music this journalist probably listens to. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So this guy is from St. Louis. Plus, according to wikipedia, he currently hosts some LGBTQ podcast, so I take One in a Million didn't sit well with him, I get it. Frankly, I was quite surprised he never brought up Axl's battery allegations. The rest is so painfully nit-picky that I fail to see the point of it. The last thing I'd want to do is research what designer dress was worn in what music video by a band that I hate. 

• Like 1