Why Are We Still Rewarding Guns N' Roses in 2019? (Esquire Article)

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Was just coming to post this. What a dbag. If you don't like GNR, good for you. But to write a whole article about you not liking them? That's just a weird move. 

No its not, critics have been doing it since day dot :lol:

• Haha 1

He or she makes some good points and its mostly a humourous article too if you look at it, not exactly a substantial analysis and not meant to be so uh, to quote ol' ginger bollocks, take it for what it is :shrugs:  Really not that big a deal, every band from The Beatles to The Stones to The Sex Pistols get such articles written about them. 

• GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, Creed said:

i doñt want to read the article, but i guess the writer was complaining about the fat redhead who destroyed a great band because of his ego? well, than hes right :)

That's a tiny part of the article. The rest of the article is pretty ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He or she makes some good points and its mostly a humourous article too if you look at it, not exactly a substantial analysis and not meant to be so uh, to quote ol' ginger bollocks, take it for what it is :shrugs:  Really not that big a deal, every band from The Beatles to The Stones to The Sex Pistols get such articles written about them. 

I agree wholeheartedly. Nothing to be miffed about. I chuckled at times. And I find some of the criticism in that article more valid than the usual "managed by housekeeper" crap we get from fans.

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think it's a wonderful article. Well written and on-point. Anyone who can't see that isn't woke enough.

Just kidding of course. It pleases me seeing so many hate SJW douchebags like this guy. 

Lol....had me going for a second there....thought you had gone to the dark side 🤣

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think it's a wonderful article. Well written and on-point. Anyone who can't see that isn't woke enough.

Just kidding of course. It pleases me seeing so many hate SJW douchebags like this guy. 

Holy crap. You had me for a minute there too! :lol:

Although the racism in One In A Million is mentioned, the writer doesn't really criticise GN'R so much for being racists or sexists, but more for being bloated, overindulgent to the point of parody, and having badly written lyrics. It is an echo of the criticism levelled at the band in the 90s when alternative acts like Nirvana became popular. 

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Although the racism in One In A Million is mentioned, the writer doesn't really criticise GN'R so much for being racists or sexists, but more for being bloated, overindulgent to the point of parody, and having badly written lyrics. It is an echo of the criticism levelled at the band in the 90s when alternative acts like Nirvana became popular. 

Bands that embody archetypes, looking through the right lens, are all corny to a point, aren't they?  I mean even my VERY favourite bands, in the post modern era where everything is familiar you sort of have a situation where, if you're looking for it, most genre work is kinda atypical.  The antedote I suppose is to concentrate on feeling and fuck the rest. 

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, thats the article I read too.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

*gasp!!*

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the neo-marxist-postmodernist conspiracy seeking to disallow people from liking things? :lol:

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, thats the article I read too.

*gasp!!*

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the neo-marxist-postmodernist conspiracy seeking to disallow people from liking things? :lol:

I'm their fuckin' treasurer :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's funny that when he does try to compliment the band by calling them "a very tight band and virtuosic musicians", he's still wrong.

When you're a Replacements fan (as I am) they are fuckin' virtuosos :lol:

It's got nothing to do with SJW or being woke, it's just some music critic who's too full of himself whining because other bands that he likes aren't on the bill and criticizing GnR over stupid things. In posting this article he just showed us what an idiot he is. And it's Esquire, what do you expect? Axl Slash and Duff are the ones playing on stage making millions, he's not.

• Like 4

Even though I do not agree with the author, I can somewhat see where this article is coming from - or at least I'm trying to see that. As a fan of GNR it's easy and comfortable for me to understand how one could love the band and their music. But I can also see why one would not like it. But then why write about them? Why doesn't the author even try and hook me onto a fresh and intesting new artist from his generation or taste instead of taking the piss on a beloved band of mine for the sake of taking a piss? It's not even reflective, progressive or funny, just a waste of time and energy.

I'm not a fan of Metallica, but that doesn't mean I hate them. It's just that I could easily think of a million better topics to write an article about. I don't think anything I could say or write about Metallica would make sense or have any value. I don't care for them, I don't understand them and I don't have enough interest in them to wrap my head around their art enough to come up with an article of any substance. That's why I'm not writing articles about Metallica. But hey that's just me. :lol:

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of this school of "smartass" journalism that has thrived mostly in pop culture journalism. I don't find it challenging or funny. But maybe it's just me lacking the sense of humour to appreciate it. :shrugs:

Like in music, for example, when they try to apply smartass logic to pop/rock lyrics.

And I don't think this guy even does it well.

I've seen the line "reminds me of childhood memories" being mocked somewhere else, and at least there was a point there (memories contain reminding, so how can you be reminded of memories?)

Now, this:

It’s 28 years too late to ask this question, but I must: What is it about rain at any time of year that makes a candle more difficult to hold? Hard to light I will grant you, but do candles become slippery in rain?

Maybe I'm thick because I've never thought about or questioned this line (or thought that there was anything worth thinking). I just took it as given that it means to hold a lit candle, as a very simple (and not very imaginative) metaphor for troubled relationships, because there's no purpose of holding an unlit candle anywhere except for when you're about to light it.

• Like 1