Why Are We Still Rewarding Guns N' Roses in 2019? (Esquire Article)

I have absolutely no problem with music critics writing negative pieces about bands or artists they don't like, like Justin Bieber, Kanye West, Nickelback, or Guns N' Roses. As long as it is genuine, not just jumping on a band wagon, and ideally well-written, interesting or funny. One might argue it is part of the job of being a critic. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe I'm thick because I've never thought about or questioned this line (or thought that there was anything worth thinking). I just took it as given that it means to hold a lit candle, as a very simple (and not very imaginative) metaphor for troubled relationships, because there's no purpose of holding an unlit candle anywhere except for when you're about to light it.

Id always rather passively assumed it was a referring to people holding a candle lit vigil. A vigil can be a way of holding onto hope. But I have no idea.

It is a folk expression, but Im not sure if thats how Axl is using it. Apparently the phrases meaning and origin goes like so:

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Hold a candle'?

The expression 'can't hold a candle to' refers to someone who compares badly to an known authority - to be unfit even to hold a subordinate position. 

What's the origin of the phrase 'Hold a candle'?

Apprentices used to be expected to hold the candle so that more experienced workmen were able to see what they were doing. Someone unable even to do that would be of low status indeed.

Sir Edward Dering used a similar phrase 'to hold the candle' in his The fower cardinal-vertues of a Carmelite fryar, 1641:

"Though I be not worthy to hold the candle to Aristotle."

'To hold a candle' is first recorded in 1883 in William Norris's No New Thing:

"Edith is pretty, very pretty; but she can't hold a candle to Nellie."

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/183700.html

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, soon said:

Id always rather passively assumed it was a referring to people holding a candle lit vigil. A vigil can be a way of holding onto hope. But I have no idea.

It is a folk expression, but Im not sure if thats how Axl is using it. Apparently the phrases meaning and origin goes like so:

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Hold a candle'?

The expression 'can't hold a candle to' refers to someone who compares badly to an known authority - to be unfit even to hold a subordinate position.

I think Axl definitely doesn't use it as in the definition in green, because it doesn't say "to hold a candle to (someone)."

I just read it as trying to hold onto a relationship that doesn't work anymore (because "hearts can change") is as hard as trying to hold a lit candle in the rain.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not a fan of this school of "smartass" journalism that has thrived mostly in pop culture journalism. I don't find it challenging or funny. But maybe it's just me lacking the sense of humour to appreciate it. :shrugs:

Like in music, for example, when they try to apply smartass logic to pop/rock lyrics.

And I don't think this guy even does it well.

I've seen the line "reminds me of childhood memories" being mocked somewhere else, and at least there was a point there (memories contain reminding, so how can you be reminded of memories?)

Now, this:

Maybe I'm thick because I've never thought about or questioned this line (or thought that there was anything worth thinking). I just took it as given that it means to hold a lit candle, as a very simple (and not very imaginative) metaphor for troubled relationships, because there's no purpose of holding an unlit candle anywhere except for when you're about to light it.

Isn't are you that lacking sense of humour, this article don't have nothing funny ,is full of cliches, a rehash of many articles .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

It's funny that when he does try to compliment the band by calling them "a very tight band and virtuosic musicians", he's still wrong.

Oh, I assumed he was talking about the 2002 band. :lol: Which would make sense as judging by a smartass article like this, he still thinks it's 2002.

43 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

"Chinese Democracy is the Avatar of albums."

That's a great compliment. It should have as many sequels.

Yeah, I totally didn't get that. I've never seen Avatar but doesn't everyone praise that movie?

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I totally didn't get that. I've never seen Avatar but doesn't everyone praise that movie?

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

"Chinese Democracy is the Avatar of albums."

Wasn't it massively hyped and super expensive, then it kinda flopped? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Both were very expensive, both were in the making since the nineties and both were huge financial risks. I get that.

In 2010, Cameron was king of the world again, Axl was the lackey of Jimmy Iovine. I don't get that.

That quote don't make any sense I agree, maybe he is a cape movies fanboy who happens to be a vigorous Guns N' Roses hater?

this author is a dick. lazy article.  why would you put this out there?  there is no substance to it.  I agree with previous posts that there are things to criticize GNR about, but this is beyond lazy.  instead of writing about a band you dont like, maybe pick one on the concert bill that you do like and tell us why?  or if you are going to bitch about GNR, give us something other than your stupid ass opinion?

his next article will probably be "I hate Pizza because its stupid"

dumbass

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Both were very expensive, both were in the making since the nineties and both were huge financial risks. I get that.

In 2010, Cameron was king of the world again, Axl was the lackey of Jimmy Iovine. I don't get that.

That quote don't make any sense I agree, maybe he is a cape movies fanboy who happens to be a vigorous Guns N' Roses hater?

Ok, that's what I thought. I'm not well versed enough in Avatar to know for sure, but that's what I was thinking. 

Come to think of it Chinese is most like Phantom Menace. Both took decades to arrive and cost loads of money to make, were eagerly expected, and are full of bleepy objects. Both were also absolute shite. Scraped is Jar Jar Binks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Come to think of it Chinese is most like Phantom Menace. Both took decades to arrive and cost loads of money to make, were eagerly expected, and are full of bleepy objects. Both were also absolute shite. Scraped is Jar Jar Binks. 

GNR is similar to the whole Star Wars thing. The first 3 movies came out and popularity soared! Much like AFD, UYI 1 and 2 put gnr on top of the world then after a long break Axl tried to recreate that trilogy with one he personally created and released CD as part of a trilogy that we never saw again. So he was close 

11 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.

11 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Still shit :lol:

10 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

Okay but "Chinese democracy is the Avatar of albums" was a good burn.

Whether you like 'Avatar' or not. It's a nonsensical comparison. The only possible comparison is that they were both expensive to create, but that's where the comparison ends.

Nobody knew anything about Avatar leading up to its release. It wasn't a highly anticipated sequel to a highly successful franchise. Nor did it fail to make a lot of $$ for the studio and producers that invested in it.

I couldn't read past the 2nd paragraph, but it's clear that the author of that shit piece needs to find a new day job. Forget who he was trashing, his inability to cite a worthwhile comparison (especially when intended as a slight) is an embarrassment.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2