Original

Why Are We Still Rewarding Guns N' Roses in 2019? (Esquire Article)

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I guess its the 'manufactured' thing that gets people but thats not really anything to do with the songs or how they are performed.

Remember East 17? They were pretty badass for a ten year old.

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Remember East 17? They were pretty badass for a ten year old.

I remember them, yes.  I was listening to Guns n Roses and The Monkees at that age.  That and the radio.  I dunno what its like in Holland (you are from Holland aren't you, that was a shot in the dark) but that kinda music over here was more like a girls thing?  And when you're that age you're a lot more sensitive to those kinds of demarkations.  Brian Harvey their lead singer was kinda of a by-word for dickhead around these parts.  I don't think I've ever met a boy/lad/man in my life that listened to that kinda stuff :lol:

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Whenever something becomes unassailable, including my beloved Beatles, part of me inside enjoy a bit of irreverence towards it/them, even if it ain't coming from me.

You are too kind.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I guess its the 'manufactured' thing that gets people but thats not really anything to do with the songs or how they are performed.

My niece started singing this a while back. Stuff like this is absolute trash, objectively, catchy or not. 

P.S. Look at her YouTube icon thing; illuminati confirmed.

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You are too kind.

My niece started singing this a while back. Stuff like this is absolute trash, objectively, catchy or not. 

P.S. Look at her YouTube icon thing; illuminati confirmed.

My little niece tried to fuckin' argue with me that Bad Bhabie was admirable because 'shes done well for herself, made some money and that'.  I threatened to stab her so she retracted her statement. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I remember them, yes.  I was listening to Guns n Roses and The Monkees at that age.  That and the radio.  I dunno what its like in Holland (you are from Holland aren't you, that was a shot in the dark) but that kinda music over here was more like a girls thing?  And when you're that age you're a lot more sensitive to those kinds of demarkations.  Brian Harvey their lead singer was kinda of a by-word for dickhead around these parts.  I don't think I've ever met a boy/lad/man in my life that listened to that kinda stuff :lol:

Here too, it was probably like that everywhere, I'm willing to bet that 99% of the kids in their audience were girls no matter where they went, but I have an older sister and they were on MTV all the time when MTV still played music. I was into rock at that age and I probably wouldn't admit to my rock friends that I liked the new Take That song, but now I have no problems anymore admitting to a bunch of strangers online, who I will never meet, that I used to enjoy some Take That.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

My little niece tried to fuckin' argue with me that Bad Bhabie was admirable because 'shes done well for herself, made some money and that'.  I threatened to stab her so she retracted her statement. 

Slap your niece immediately lol. That's actually pretty upsetting she thinks of that idiot as a role model. We are in dark days, Leonard. The youths have lost their way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Slap your niece immediately lol. That's actually pretty upsetting she thinks of that idiot as a role model. We are in dark days, Leonard. The youths have lost their way.

I'm serious too, I did threaten to stab her :lol:  Though not seriously, obviously and she understood it was a joke as is 90% of such ridiculous comments I make :lol:  But nah, yeah, thats a real thing, she was even saying the same thing about Kim Kardashian once, that 'she's such a strong powerful woman' or some such bollocks and I'm there thinking 'you're my 14 yr old niece, I don't particularly wannabe talking to you about sex stuff but she's famous for having Ray J's helmet poke her tonsils!'.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm serious too, I did threaten to stab her :lol:  Though not seriously, obviously and she understood it was a joke as is 90% of such ridiculous comments I make :lol:  But nah, yeah, thats a real thing, she was even saying the same thing about Kim Kardashian once, that 'she's such a strong powerful woman' or some such bollocks and I'm there thinking 'you're my 14 yr old niece, I don't particularly wannabe talking to you about sex stuff but she's famous for having Ray J's helmet poke her tonsils!'.

Your niece is giving me anxiety.

I had to explain to mine that "Real women don't look like Nicki Minaj. That's bags of plastic in her butt. Yuck eh?"

O brave new world...

P.S. Regardless, part of me still wouldn't mind hatefucking Minaj though tbh, I'm ashamed to admit.

Edited by Oldest Goat

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Your niece is giving me anxiety.

I had to explain to mine that "Real women don't look like Nicki Minaj. That's bags of plastic in her butt. Yuck eh?"

O brave new world...

She's a fuckin' intelligent kid and all, really bright academically, reads a shitload, you'd think she'd have more sense, the scatty little mare.  Her justification of Bhad Babie was 'she's only 14 and she's made a load of money' and its like, fuckin' hell, thats your fuckin' yardstick of like...substance?  Then again, who am I to judge, when I was her age I liked Mike Tyson cuz he was hard and knocked people the fuck out, I've just got done in this thread saying I liked The Sex Pistols cuz they were a bunch of wrong 'uns.  I can remember my Dads first reaction to GnR too 'whats that?  He looks like a poof. And whats wrong with that other one, whys he got all his hair in his face, is he disabled?' :lol:  I remember it chiefly because the last bit made me crack up laughing :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I can remember my Dads first reaction to GnR too 'whats that?  He looks like a poof. And whats wrong with that other one, whys he got all his hair in his face, is he disabled?'

Legend your dad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Legend your dad.

I don't know why any of its difficult for him to comprehend, he comes from the era of Bolan and Bowie and all that, he'll catch Bowie doing Starman on TOTP back in the day and be like 'oh I remember that!' and get all nostalgic yet Axl Rose is a poof :lol: He was all long hair and wide collars back in the day himself.    

After reading the article TWICE, I still can't grasp what is that upsets people here so much.... :shrugs:

This article is so dull, so boring, so strange, that it only leaves me like :question::question::question:

I don't understand more than half of it. Not sure if it's supposed to be funny or not.
Not sure if it's supposed to be sarcastic or witty :blink:

Either way, it does not provoke in me one bit of any wild emotion, so I'll blame it to my bad English or something :sleeper:

16 minutes ago, killuridols said:

After reading the article TWICE, I still can't grasp what is that upsets people here so much.... :shrugs:

This article is so dull, so boring, so strange, that it only leaves me like :question::question::question:

I don't understand more than half of it. Not sure if it's supposed to be funny or not.
Not sure if it's supposed to be sarcastic or witty :blink:

Either way, it does not provoke in me one bit of any wild emotion, so I'll blame it to my bad English or something :sleeper:

There's nothing wrong with your English, it's just a poorly written article.

I don't understand why it's had so much attention either.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

There's nothing wrong with your English, it's just a poorly written article.

I don't understand why it's had so much attention either.

Cool!

I'm not one of the kiss ass sicophants of the band, so I am okay with the harshest criticism that could be out there, because this band deserves it :lol:

But I don't get what's so upsetting about this article, aside from the fact that it is a highly strange way to highlight "the worst" of GN'R.

If the journalist says he doesn't like them (and he has all the right to be disgusted by them), I was hoping for something with more substance than what he wrote.

Or maybe it is just the fact that what he mentioned is so "old news" to me, that I can't be surprised anymore :shrugs:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I should write an article. 

You should!

And I've read some fantastic @RONINposts that would put him in the black list of TB if they were published in a popular music mag :lol:

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

You should!

And I've read some fantastic @RONINposts that would put him in the black list of TB if they were published in a popular music mag :lol:

Yeah his stuff is great. Very insightful.

• Like 1

Best  thing GNR fans can do is not read this. No 1, it's garbage! No 2, the more you click it the more revenue it makes. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 10:24 PM, killuridols said:

If the journalist says he doesn't like them (and he has all the right to be disgusted by them), I was hoping for something with more substance than what he wrote.

That was the kind of article I was expecting, which made it all the more dumb when the guy starts going on about how he hates GN'R because he doesn't like the way Axl describes candles, or whatever.

People who are actually fans have bigger problems than that, and criticise the band more harshly for it than this article did.

• GNFNR 1

This is the worst fucking article I have EVER read

• Like 1