What did Bob Dylan think of the version of Knocking on Heaven's Door?

Apparently Doug Goldstein has a "Quora" account and answered this question in 2018 If it´s really him:

" i used to get a call once a year from Bob Dylan’s lady, asking me to thank the band for recording “Heaven’s Door” because they would receive MASSIVE checks from the sales of our version (in royalties)

She said that he loved the version (although I never spoke to him directly) " 

Link: https://www.quora.com/profile/Doug-Goldstein-4

he also answered"Who does Axl Rose call on the phone in Knocking on Heavens door song?"

"It’s Axl’s friend Josh Richmond. Josh helped write the videos for November Rain and Estranged. Josh is a great guy, and I for one DO NOT know why Axl doesn’t speak to him anymore! Josh is brilliant, hilarious, and incredibly creative. Other people in the camp were very jealous of their relationship, which my be the reason Axl no longer communicates with him, but Josh used to spend countless nights with Axl, often staying up for days at a time to make sure his best friend was doing ok!!"

Link: https://www.quora.com/Who-does-Axl-Rose-call-on-the-phone-in-Knocking-on-Heavens-door-song

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Interesting, how did McCartney feel about LALD?  And did Manson actually receive royalties for Look at your Game?

It’s funny, because when their version came out, my kids were in school, and they had a lot of defending to do, because all the kids said, 'Great song, ‘Live and Let Die!’'" recalled McCartney. "They said, 'My dad did that!' 'No way, it’s Guns N’ Roses!' I was happy they did it. I thought it was a nice little nod. I’m glad to hear our pyro is bigger and better.

I feel this is true because at several 2006 gigs (including the Vegas one's I attended), Axl relayed the same story

Sauce

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 1

From my knowledge of Dylan, I very much doubt Dylan liked their cover, bloated as it is, although he may have liked the royalties; he didn't use anything by Slash on Under the Red Sky because ''it sounded too much like Guns N' Roses''. Dylan likes Howlin' Wolf, Woody, Chuck and Elvis and thinks everything that came out after 1959 is a sack of shit. He even was a bit snidey about The Beatles when they arrived. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

From my knowledge of Dylan, I very much doubt Dylan liked their cover, bloated as it is, although he may have liked the royalties; he didn't use anything by Slash on Under the Red Sky because ''it sounded too much like Guns N' Roses''. Dylan likes Howlin' Wolf, Woody, Chuck and Elvis and thinks everything that came out after 1959 is a sack of shit. He even was a bit snidey about The Beatles when they arrived. 

And The Stones.  Mind you, Lennon was hardly complimentary about him either at certain points.  Apparently he once said to Keith 'I could've easily written Satisfaction but you could've never written Desolation Row' and Keith was like 'yeah, you're right there Bob' :lol:  Good answer :lol:  All these lot were tarts about each other really, you can pick any big star of the 60s and I can show you them having a pop at one of their contemporaries.  Jimi Hendrix called Pete Townshend a honky motherfucker as the legend goes.

• Like 2

Guns changed up the chordings a bit. Ive heard George Harrison suggests its because they couldn't even get three chords right, lol.

In Guns version the intro is G/D/C x4. In Dylans its G/D/Am/G/D/C X2

Guns lack of a minor chord in the intro really sets it up to be a rousing 15 minute singalong stadium anthem. Dylan's Am instantly set the tone for a sombre and meditative piece.

And Guns re-voice the Am in the verses to Am7. This gives it a voicing that is more reminiscent of that C chord.

Ive read that since Guns were performing KOHD live since their early club days that Dylan was looking forward to them recording it for the huge gnr style pay day. He joked that anytime he could get a hold of someone from the gnr camp that he'd always ask them "when are you gonna record my song?"

• Like 2

Axl: "... Then George [Harrison] takes us over to meet Bob Dylan. Bob asks me, 'When are you gonna record Heaven's Door?' I said, 'I don't know, but we really love that song.' And he says, 'I don't give a fuck. I just want the money.' True story." [Live in Taiwan, Dec. 11, 2009]

Probably that's why Axl introduced KOHD at some UYI shows saying something along the lines of "Now it's time to make Bob Dylan some money." :lol:

Bob Dylan: “Guns N’ Roses is okay, Slash is okay, but there’s something about their version of the song that reminds me of the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I always wonder who's been transformed into some sort of clone, and who's stayed true to himself. And I never seem to have an answer." [The Telegraph, 1992]

Slash has been bitching for 30 years about Dylan not using his solo :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

George Harrison in particular always seemed to take a dim view to young up and coming slightly rebellious bands.  Couldn't stand Oasis, prompting this reply from Liam:

:lol:

In fact, he threatened to kick the heads in of a whole clutch of the rock n roll old guard :lol:

"All these old farts, slagging us off - they'll be dead and buried by the time we start getting senile and shitting in our pants. And we can remember all their shit tunes. 'I've Got My Mind Set On You', 'When We Was Fab'. The quicker they f*****g go, the better for everyone. Anyway, John and Ringo were The Beatles. Isn't It A Pity? It will be when I meet George Harrison. I'm gonna stand on his head and play golf. I'm gonna do me Roy Castle impersonation on his head [that is tap dancing, except he is dead now; cancer]. So who wants a fight? Any old fart who's allowed out of the rest home wants a fight with me, yeah? After I've had me steak and kidney pie, I'll be ready. Do you want it? Any of you senile bastards want a ruck? I'll meet you in the pub, six o'clock. Yeah, it's unlikely, you never know, they might turn up. Whoof! I'll do the lot of them. That should be the headline: 'I'll do the lot of you.' I had a dream where I drop-kicked him in the throat, George, and smashed McCartney from here to Jupiter and back. He didn't have his seatbelt on. My name is disturbance. I love the music. I played the game. Thought I wasn't bothered. Then I thought - I do want it. Keith, Mick and any other old bag who decides to get out of bed in the morning to slag us off. Dirty old nipple. Sweaty old mushroom. I wanna meet you in the middle of Primrose Hill. Thursday afternoon, 12 o'clock, on the green. They say they got misquoted. I won't be misquoted. The main thing we're talking about here is this: any dick who wants it, regardless of what time or day or what shoes I've got on. Anyone who wants a rumble will get it because the man is mad for it and that's the end of it. I don't like fighting but you've not been slagged off like me. And there'll be no big chaps around, man. Just me and me dick, man. And I'll hit him with me knob. I've said I wanted to chill, but I've got loads of knobs picking on me anyway, so I might as well say - 'Let's have it!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

"All these old farts, slagging us off - they'll be dead and buried by the time we start getting senile and shitting in our pants. And we can remember all their shit tunes. 'I've Got My Mind Set On You', 'When We Was Fab'. The quicker they f*****g go, the better for everyone. Anyway, John and Ringo were The Beatles. Isn't It A Pity? It will be when I meet George Harrison. I'm gonna stand on his head and play golf. I'm gonna do me Roy Castle impersonation on his head [that is tap dancing, except he is dead now; cancer]. So who wants a fight? Any old fart who's allowed out of the rest home wants a fight with me, yeah? After I've had me steak and kidney pie, I'll be ready. Do you want it? Any of you senile bastards want a ruck? I'll meet you in the pub, six o'clock. Yeah, it's unlikely, you never know, they might turn up. Whoof! I'll do the lot of them. That should be the headline: 'I'll do the lot of you.' I had a dream where I drop-kicked him in the throat, George, and smashed McCartney from here to Jupiter and back. He didn't have his seatbelt on. My name is disturbance. I love the music. I played the game. Thought I wasn't bothered. Then I thought - I do want it. Keith, Mick and any other old bag who decides to get out of bed in the morning to slag us off. Dirty old nipple. Sweaty old mushroom. I wanna meet you in the middle of Primrose Hill. Thursday afternoon, 12 o'clock, on the green. They say they got misquoted. I won't be misquoted. The main thing we're talking about here is this: any dick who wants it, regardless of what time or day or what shoes I've got on. Anyone who wants a rumble will get it because the man is mad for it and that's the end of it. I don't like fighting but you've not been slagged off like me. And there'll be no big chaps around, man. Just me and me dick, man. And I'll hit him with me knob. I've said I wanted to chill, but I've got loads of knobs picking on me anyway, so I might as well say - 'Let's have it!"

Lol this is the Oasis guy? Hes so full of shit, his band was basically ripping off Beatles and then his idols say something bad about him and he says this. Thats fn hilarious.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

George Harrison in particular always seemed to take a dim view to young up and coming slightly rebellious bands.  Couldn't stand Oasis, prompting this reply from Liam:

In fact, he threatened to kick the heads in of a whole clutch of the rock n roll old guard :lol:

That is hilarious especially after he lists the asses he's going to kick then says he really doesn't like fighting. 😄  The thing is none of these guys can fight but they think they can.  

32 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

That is hilarious especially after he lists the asses he's going to kick then says he really doesn't like fighting. 😄  The thing is none of these guys can fight but they think they can.  

Depends what you mean by ‘can fight’, I wouldn’t stick em in the ring but I’m sure Liam can handle himself up to a point, though he has had his head kicked in a few times, like that famous nightclub incident back in the late 90s.  If you go around throwing your weight about it don’t matter who you are sooner or later you’re getting ironed out.

38 minutes ago, default_ said:

Lol this is the Oasis guy? Hes so full of shit, his band was basically ripping off Beatles and then his idols say something bad about him and he says this. Thats fn hilarious.

In his defence they did start it, its one thing respecting your idols but i don’t think you should be that in love with anyone that they slag you off and you don’t have nothing to say for yourself, they were kind of asking for it needling a council estate yobbo like Liam.  Its all fun and games really, its pop music not WWF.

• Like 1

Sorry for OT but this stanza from Bob Dylans Desolation Row has been tickling my brain for months now. The line "Playing the electric violin on desolation row" alone strikes me as perfection. Especially when delivered by a cynical and wry Bob Weir during the Deads Mydland 80's era. Theres a classic hollywood, Huey Lewis thing to his delivery but in a way that would perfectly ingratiate Weir to some Hells Angles, too.

You would not think to look at him
But he was famous long ago
For playing the electric violin
On Desolation Row

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

What a loser. Dude couldn’t write himself out of a wet paper box. Oasis has a couple good tunes but his brother did all the writing. They ripped off the Beatles so hard, then, bashes George and Paul, the more talented half of the band. What a pussy. Go make up with your brother and stop being dumb with your “beady eye”.

46 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Depends what you mean by ‘can fight’, I wouldn’t stick em in the ring but I’m sure Liam can handle himself up to a point, though he has had his head kicked in a few times, like that famous nightclub incident back in the late 90s.  If you go around throwing your weight about it don’t matter who you are sooner or later you’re getting ironed out.

In his defence they did start it, its one thing respecting your idols but i don’t think you should be that in love with anyone that they slag you off and you don’t have nothing to say for yourself, they were kind of asking for it needling a council estate yobbo like Liam.  Its all fun and games really, its pop music not WWF.

That's true, street fighting is an art no doubt.  Man, I just wish Axl and Vince Neil could've had their fight, at least it would've been entertaining. 

51 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

What a loser. Dude couldn’t write himself out of a wet paper box. Oasis has a couple good tunes but his brother did all the writing. They ripped off the Beatles so hard, then, bashes George and Paul, the more talented half of the band. What a pussy. Go make up with your brother and stop being dumb with your “beady eye”.

I like him, I think hes a good lad.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And those songs wouldn’t have been anything without Liam’s voice and attitude. 

Elvis never wrote a tune either, he was still the bollocks, Rog’ Daltrey wrote next to fuck all for The Who, singers job is singing, writing ain’t a prerequisite, quite frankly Axl ain’t no great shakes at writing either.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2