The Stone Roses

Dazey

30 years ago this week the Stone Roses released an absolute work of genius. Still one of my favourite albums of all time. Just flawless from start to finish. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

can't say more than this, sums it up.

SUCH a good album! Tops The Beatles for me and that’s a big deal but as far as consistent excellence is concerned it’s probably my favourite album ever. I don’t think there’s a more uplifting set of songs than She Bangs the Drums, Sugar Spun Sister, Made of Stone and This is the One in existence. 

Edited by Dazey

Never heard them before. Sounds great. The live clip in the OP has lots of American jam band elements which I dig. Psychedelic isnt it? To my ears that live track fits in with Spiritualized and Mogwai, but I dont know how the scenes all fit together. If Im not mistaken this coincided with the neo-hippie thing in the US with String Cheese Incident, Phish, Ween, Blind Melon and Black Crowes - this sounds like the alt rock edge of the psychedelic revival?

Whatever it is, its cool!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dazey said:

SUCH a good album! Tops The Beatles for me and that’s a big deal but as far as consistent excellence is concerned it’s probably my favourite album ever. I don’t think there’s a more uplifting set of songs than She Bangs the Drums, Sugar Spun Sister, Made of Stone and This is the One in existence. 

The little fuckin’ jam that they do at the end of I am the Ressurection is fuckin’ nuts, literally a perfect album in that Nevermind the Bollocks Raw Power not a note out of place sense of the word and there’s VERY few albums I can say that about.  Weird something of such joyous beauty could come out of a Manc’ yobbos :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut

19 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

funny story. treated like geniusis in UK, but almost like Oasis, the rest of the world didn't give a fuck about them.

Well, Oasis did quiet ok in Europe for a while I suppose...

Oasis were festival headliners in Europe and played arenas. They were popular but they were just another band like let's say Mumford and Sons or Florence and the Machine are now. Stone Roses were never near that level. They played Sziget in Hungary in 2012 and that was literally the smallest crowd at main stage I ever saw there :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Oasis were festival headliners in Europe and played arenas. They were popular but they were just another band like let's say Mumford and Sons or Florence and the Machine are now. Stone Roses were never near that level. They played Sziget in Hungary in 2012 and that was literally the smallest crowd at main stage I ever saw there :lol: 

I think that says more about the audience than the band. :lol: 

1 hour ago, soon said:

Never heard them before. Sounds great. The live clip in the OP has lots of American jam band elements which I dig. Psychedelic isnt it? To my ears that live track fits in with Spiritualized and Mogwai, but I dont know how the scenes all fit together. If Im not mistaken this coincided with the neo-hippie thing in the US with String Cheese Incident, Phish, Ween, Blind Melon and Black Crowes - this sounds like the alt rock edge of the psychedelic revival?

Not exactly coincided, the Stone Roses and other UK bands of that scene broke a little earlier than the US bands you mention and I think one was independent to the other. Although yeah, I guess they can all be called "neo-hippie," I don't think there was any kind of "communication" or influence and the UK bands had incorporated more groove and dance elements.

That UK scene that we called "Manchester" (because many bands were from there) and was also called "baggy" in the music press was the thing in the UK and most of the rest of Europe, I believe, for about 2-3 years before grunge hit. Some bands pre-existed, mainly the Happy Mondays which were kind of pioneers, but the scene peaked around the time of the Stone Roses debut. Then it declined for various reasons, with one being that it took too long for the Stone Roses to record their follow-up, which, although not bad didn't live up to the hype of the first one and then they broke up; the Happy Mondays also broke up, and those were the two main "Manchester" bands. Other bands, like the Charlatans, were kind of incorporated into britpop.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

putting the Black Crowes in the same sentence with anyone in this topic is a major disgrace. VERY little band achived the greatness that The Black Crowes had.   There isn't a bad song on any album they ever recorded.  Magic pure.   The Girl from the pawn shop, She talks to angels, Goodby blue eyes, Descending, Sister luck, Remedy, Virtue and vvice, Losing my mind...