The Guns N Roses Member Who Died That No One Seems To Remember

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Regarding Axl and Rapidfire, it should probably be mentioned that Marc Canter, who is widely -- and deservedly -- recognized as an extremely reliable source on early GN'R, states in Reckless Road that Axl started Rapidfire. So one can understand if this is considered a fact among GN'R fans.

In fairness Reckless Rd was published before that chap released that big article detailing the history of Rapid Fire, whilst he was locked in jurisprudence with Rose over the release of the demos - oh, I believe the article was written by his lawyer. Canter was only really following Slash's career at that stage. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, zombux said:

Axl talked about that in MTV Rockumentary, if I'm correct

You're correct.  I remember Axl saying that his family was coming down on him at the time for whatever trouble he had gotten himself into that particular day.  Anyway, someone called him, it might have been Izzy,  I can't recall.  They said they had a cool name for a band and asked how they should spell it.  Axl was pissed at the time and just spelled out A-X-L, then promptly hung up.  This is from my sometimes foggy memory so cut me some slack. 😊

3 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

You're correct.  I remember Axl saying that his family was coming down on him at the time for whatever trouble he had gotten himself into that particular day.  Anyway, someone called him, it might have been Izzy,  I can't recall.  They said they had a cool name for a band and asked how they should spell it.  Axl was pissed at the time and just spelled out A-X-L, then promptly hung up.  This is from my sometimes foggy memory so cut me some slack. 😊

yes, I also think it was Izzy who suggested the name, but my memory is absolutely vague on this topic. 

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Regarding Axl and Rapidfire, it should probably be mentioned that Marc Canter, who is widely -- and deservedly -- recognized as an extremely reliable source on early GN'R, states in Reckless Road that Axl started Rapidfire. So one can understand if this is considered a fact among GN'R fans.

@SoulMonster, not to negate immediately any Canter authority, but just to give the book the benefit, I gave it a gander, and while that intricate band lineup timelline/tree lists Axl as the only Rapidfire member, no statement that he was the starter/founder of the band exists in "Reckless Road". 

I'm curious why Canter didn't have any quotes from Kevin Lawrence. Perhaps they didn't know each other at all. Perhaps Canter knew very little about Rapidfire. I dunno.

Either way, I'm grateful for what Kevin and his lawyer, Joshua (and to clarify GNRCentral's easily made blunder as Kevin did refer to Mr. Solomon as his bro repeatedly, that was a figurative term. They had no blood relation, just best friends, they were.) provided. 

Also, @SoulMonster, I appreciate your history contribution of the name origin. I'm curious where you are compiling all of this. 

• Like 1

I'd also like to hear what Johnny Kreis has to say about all the history things. after all, he was the only drummer HR had (before in later stages he got replaced by Steven Adler and Rob Gardner). 

his dad is known to have reacted under YouTube vids, the HR rehearsal vid to be exact. I believe it's been taken down later, but hey, I remember a guy reacting there saying "hey, that's my son Johnny on drums playing!" 

mesmerizing.

57 minutes ago, Chest Burster said:

@SoulMonster, not to negate immediately any Canter authority, but just to give the book the benefit, I gave it a gander, and while that intricate band lineup timelline/tree lists Axl as the only Rapidfire member, no statement that he was the starter/founder of the band exists in "Reckless Road". 

I'm curious why Canter didn't have any quotes from Kevin Lawrence. Perhaps they didn't know each other at all. Perhaps Canter knew very little about Rapidfire. I dunno.

Either way, I'm grateful for what Kevin and his lawyer, Joshua (and to clarify GNRCentral's easily made blunder as Kevin did refer to Mr. Solomon as his bro repeatedly, that was a figurative term. They had no blood relation, just best friends, they were.) provided. 

Also, @SoulMonster, I appreciate your history contribution of the name origin. I'm curious where you are compiling all of this. 

Page 4: "[…] and started several bands including Rapidfire".

You can find it here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t2847-the-history-of-guns-n-roses-in-their-own-words

It's a work very much in progress, and it only covers sources up to 1992. It will be radically changed, revised, altered, and blah blah blah as I start using more current sources like newer interviews and biographies :)

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Just read my post above :) I have included the quotes you mention.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

It’s amazing how many folks in this thread know their shit and can back it up with sources, yet the guy who seemingly makes a living making “history of GnR” videos on YouTube is nowhere to be found after being called out for his misinformed video.

Hilarious!

it's even funnier if you consider we're talking history that happened more than 40 years ago :)