Old Slash Interview: "I don't think it will finally happen (about new Guns N' Roses album)"

Old Slash Interview with VOS (Entertainment news site from Argentina).

When asked about the new GnR record (translated by me):

- They asked me not to ask anything about Guns N Roses, but I need to know if is there any chance of a new album.
- At this point, we all want to do a new record. That's true. But to actually do it... I don't think it will finally happen. Let's see.

Rest of the interview (Google Translate):

Some call it personality, others call it charisma, but no one doubts that it is one of the greatest virtues a musician can aspire to: have a sound of their own, a way of playing that just by playing a couple of notes is already known. Who are we talking about? That is what Slash, an iconic guitarist of Guns N 'Roses and owner of a solid and respectable solo career, has achieved in his career, always under his own rules.
He, however, assumes as something natural and even rehearses a modest response when asked how he came to have a flagship sound.

"The idea that I have a flagship sound is a huge compliment in itself. It's not something that I ... (think) say that I only play the way I play, it's not something that I've necessarily invested a lot of time in consciously developing. When I first took a guitar, there was definitely a sound with which I identified myself and let's say that since then I've spread on that, "says this survivor of the excesses of rock, who will turn 54 in two months.

He answers the VOS call from his home in Los Angeles, ready to embark in the next few days, along with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, on a new world tour. He knows first hand what it is to travel the planet on board the rock and roll circus, which, he says, does not represent a challenge but rather the opportunity to return to live a party.
"It's like an injection, I really love playing every night, doing what we usually do, so it does not represent a test at all in any sense," he says.

It is as if one could see him with glasses and long curls covering his face, with a half smile and a cigarette hanging from his mouth. Thus, with its emblematic Gibson Les Paul hanging, you can see it for the third time already in Cordoba, next Tuesday, May 14 at the Plaza de la Música.

The excuse will be the presentation of Livin the Dream, third album of this project, plus a couple of stainless classics of the Guns.
-You come playing with The Conspirators with the same lineup for the last 10 years. Is it the band that you feel most comfortable with, the one that best fits with you?
-There is definitely a "level of comfort" in the fact of playing with these musicians, but that was always, from the beginning. There is a certain chemistry that happens immediately, and it happened from the first time we started playing together. I think that's one of the reasons we've been together for so long.

-You became a global star in the analog era. What is your opinion of the music industry in these times of algorithms?
-I've never been a big fan of the music business, to say the least, but when I started it was definitely easier to understand compared to how it is today. But, you know, changes are something that simply happen. You can not get mad at that, and you have to adapt in a certain way to continue. The way things are currently with music has its positive aspect and absolutely many negative things, but I can not say that I like it more or less than when I started.

-Once you said that your father was the one who introduced you to rock, making you listen to great violins. What kind of music do you listen to with your own children today?
-My children have always been in contact with the music that I listen to, and a lot of my material in pre-production status, so they grew up with a lot of rock and roll, heavy metal, blues and whatever I've been listening to. And I always made them listen to the demos of what I was doing, since they were born.

- The figure of "guitar hero" is in danger of extinction in the current musical panorama? No new "Slash" has appeared in the last 20 years, to say a date ...
-I never considered myself a guitar hero, it's a label that other people have been kind enough to assign it to me. But there's not a lot of guitar music on the radio right now, so it's logical that it's hard to have guitar heroes when there's not a lot of guitarists in popular music.

- Will that change in the future?
-We'll see what happens. There is definitely a new way in which new and young rock bands break through and emerge, we will see if this is the case to change this scene. Likewise, I have been watching young and hungry musicians gather for the right reasons, to triumph with their bands. That may be interesting. I think the most important thing is that someone comes up doing rock and roll but at the same time it's different, it has originality, it has not been seen before. That may be the reason why nothing big has been coming up: because there has not been anything really new and exciting that transcends all the others.

-Your music at this point is already labeled as classic. Do you feel that way?-I do not analyze it much. I do what I like to do and play what I think I would like to hear. I have never been in tune with what sounds in current or trendy music. I never followed those trends, or what happens in pop. Even with Guns N 'Roses, as successful as that band was ... or is. When we left at the beginning, it was not trying to do the same as the rest (laughs). I never thought about how to fit in the labels.

-I confess that when I was 12 years old and I first heard the intro of Sweet Child O'Mine, the guitar intro blew my mind. What is your favorite riff, both yours and others?
-I would not be able to choose any of mine, it's not possible. But others riff ... (thinks), there are many! I remember the Stones' Gimme Shelter that had a big effect on me when I was very small, Whole lotta love was another one, from Zeppelin, Foxy Lady and Purple Haze from Hendrix. And over the years there were always riffs that I think are amazing fuckin '. Back in the saddle and Walk This Way from Aerosmith, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath from Black Sabbath has that little section in the middle that I always thought was one of the coolest things there was ... there's another Jack White riff that came out some years and I think it's great, although I do not remember the name. I could name you guitar riffs for days!

- And how do you work your own riff? Improvising, you tune the melody in the head and lower it to the fingers?
-There are no established rules for that, they come from many places and forms. It can be turning in your head, it can unravel while you are playing on the guitar, it can be something you come up with while you were doing a solo on a live show for examples ... you never know! I remember being influenced once, while listening to a song while in Spain, sitting in a car waiting for someone, and there was a street festival near there and Spanish music from a very strong orchestra played, and that's where the Halo!

-I was asked not to ask anything about Guns N Roses, but I need to know if there is any chance of them recording a new album.
-At this point, we all want to make a new record. That's true. But from there to actually doing it ... I do not think it will finally happen. We'll see what happens.

- You never wanted to cut your hair?
-There are certain times when that idea comes and goes through my head (laughs), especially in summer! But no, I never really seriously thought of it as something I would do.

Michael is not talked about, and all ok with Motley Crüe
Back in 1991, in full global euphoria of Guns N 'Roses, Slash was invited by Michael Jackson to collaborate on the album Dangerous. Rubricó the intro of Black and White and a memorable solo in Give in to me. Then, he had appearances in several live shows of the king of pop. This interview was made a few days before the release of the documentary Leaving Neverland, which again put into discussion the allegations of pedophilia about the deceased singer. However, Slash makes it clear that it is not a topic he wants to delve into.

- Did you see the documentary? How did the testimonies against Michael impact you?
-I did not see it, and I do not have an opinion about it.

- But you decided that you do not want to see her?
-I do not think I've ever seen any of Michael Jackson's movies ... I did not see This is It either. I've been traveling, so I did not have time to see her ...

-But you will know what it is, and I do not know if you are surprised by the accusations because they refer to someone you knew (interrupts)
-I remember when everything came to light for the first time, and now it comes up again with some of the same sources, I'm aware of that, but I do not have an opinion about it.

-The other film that I want to ask you about is "The Dirt", about the history of Mötley Crüe. You like me? Would you do something like that with your own story?
- I liked The Dirt, I felt that it is good, that it is honest, because I remember everything clearly and I feel that it was. I personally would not like to make a film in which you have to put actors to play real people, it's something very difficult to do. I think that the actors that made Motley got a great result that took a lot of work to achieve. But I do not see doing something like this or Guns N'Roses doing it either.

Source: https://vos.lavoz.com.ar/musica/slash-me-gustaria-pero-no-creo-que-haya-nuevo-disco-de-guns-n-roses?fbclid=IwAR0nKaBOojUKi5s6K0liGrWaRPu0onycTvXHGv5q9gyKQdaF9lhy0SlYY68

Edited by NachoLZ

Is interesting because he gave an interview with Rolling Stone Argentina/La Nacion and he says that he will be on a small tour with GNR and after that he expect to work in a new GNR album

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/espectaculos/musica/slash-habla-su-primera-guitarra-estado-del-nid2244067

¿Pensás ponerte a componer material para el nuevo disco de Guns N' Roses mientras estás por Sudamérica?

Cuando termine esta gira y vuelva a Los Ángeles comenzaremos a trabajar con esperanza en el nuevo disco de los Guns.

He said: When this tour is finished and I comeback to LA we will work with hope in the new GNR record

Edited by Georgina Arriaga
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I'm guessing he said "don't know if it will eventually happen" or something to that effect

Well if the word "finally" doesnt fit there, then its "I don't think it will eventually happen", here is the bit in spanish:

–Me pidieron que no preguntara nada de Guns N Roses, pero necesito saber si hay alguna chance de que graben un disco nuevo.
–A este punto, todos queremos hacer un disco nuevo. Eso es verdad. Pero de ahí a que efectivamente lo hagamos... no creo que finalmente suceda. Veremos qué pasa.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

Well if the word "finally" doesnt fit there, then its "I don't think it will eventually happen", here is the bit in spanish:

–Me pidieron que no preguntara nada de Guns N Roses, pero necesito saber si hay alguna chance de que graben un disco nuevo.
–A este punto, todos queremos hacer un disco nuevo. Eso es verdad. Pero de ahí a que efectivamente lo hagamos... no creo que finalmente suceda. Veremos qué pasa.

Yeah, he really says whats on the title. 

"At this point we all want to do a new record. Thats true. But to actually make it... I dont think its finally happen. We'll see. "

Im with you, the finally may be also read as eventually. 

It may be what he really believes or hes just bullshitting a guy that asked something he wasnt supposed to. 

Edited by default_

4 minutes ago, cpaxlvacy said:

Remember the rumour that Slash was recording in Axl's house last weekend. Maybe something negative happened and Axl fucked things up again. 

This is sad news indeed!!

Rumour about rumour. We don't need this all over again.

• Like 3

Translation : Axl only wanted Slash to re-write other peoples sub par left overs and not write anything new at all as a team 

Unlike Axl - Slash is actually really smart with his words. Everyone meaning Axl and his bunch probably Duff included want to do it (re-hack shite) - and Slash actually wants to write new shit 

Slash was like this is the line 

its still a huge ego thing with axl he's slightly happy with becoming richer but letting slash write new shit for him is too much to swallow 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

3 minutes ago, cpaxlvacy said:

Remember the rumour that Slash was recording in Axl's house last weekend. Maybe something negative happened and Axl fucked things up again. 

This is sad news indeed!!

...or he's aware of the rumor that he was at Axl's studio, and before it gets out of hand he's simply saying "we haven't recorded for an album yet". If he were to say something like "yea I was at Axl's, working on a new song" every rock outlet would have the "new GNR album" headline... the easiest way to avoid that is to say it hasn't happened yet.

• Like 2

Definitely just based on the stark difference between those words and what he has said over and over again in recent interviews - plus the fact that translations are not perfect, at least at this point in time I wouldn't go into freakout mode just yet

But I know for a fact that this will turn into a 20 page thread talking about how GNR are over, so carry on :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

pretty much something we all knew.

what I can't belive is that nobody actually asks him quiet simple 'relationship to Iz and Matt these days', that may clear up a lot

that to me would solve the whole fucking thing - 1991 (the best forward thinking and highest capacity) lineup back together 

they'd prob get another double disc platinum out the door 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

Thing's have changed during that time. I'm sure he answered that way because deep down he knows it's all up to Axl. And then he got the call to do this recording thing at his house, reason why he has been much more positive about it on his last interviews .

Nothing to actually be worried about now that we found out that the interview is not new.

EDIT: i'm a native spanish speaker and the translation is true. But I'm thinking that maybe the reporter didn't hear correctly since the interview was done on the phone.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

That interview was at the same time of the Rolling Stone Argentina one.

He was asked about the MJ documentary and was made in early april.

This one, where he was asked about the MJ doc and the Motley movie and he said the same as in RS Argentina about the GNR album, was done at the same time as well:

Apparently Slash did a series of interviews with South American media in early April to promote his upcoming tour there, just some of them are released now. And I bet he said the same things in all the interviews, but something was lost in translation in the VOS one.

This interview was done more recently:

https://loudwire.com/slash-boulevard-of-broken-hearts-live-video-guns-n-roses-interview/

GNR writing is probably held off until after your touring is done. But have you ...

No, we're actually into it now, but at the same time everybody's still busy with a million other things. We haven't been able to sit down and completely focus on just the one thing, but we have been toying around with stuff.

Do you have material that you've already written and intend to present to the band, or does it kind of work more where everyone gets in a room and works it up from scratch?

I think there's no set rule for this. I don't think anything has been worked up to the point of ... well, let's put it this way. Ideas are coming in.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1