Old Slash Interview: "I don't think it will finally happen (about new Guns N' Roses album)"

The "I don't think it will eventually happen" kind of makes no sense in the context of the whole answer, because he does say "At this point, we all want to make a new record. That is true." [POSITIVE]
"But to actually make it.... I don't think it will eventually happen" [NEGATIVE] and he finishes with "Let's see what happens" [POSITIVE AGAIN].

A negative between two positives, why would he answer like that?

It feels like some kind of word manipulation to make headline impact.... especially because Slash has not said something like this in any other interview with Argentinian media.

Not that he's been mega positive about writing a new album, he always sounds cautious and more prone to not give false hopes to the fans, but at the same time, he's never been so categorically negative about it.

• Like 2

Relax... I'm sure the album will happen eventually. With or without Slash & co. Worst case scenario (which would actually be my best scenario): Axl releases CD II with Buckethead & Robin takes, untouched. It could even be an EP. I just want The General untouched, personally. I'll take The General untouched any day over whatever Slash will come up with.

Or, we will have an album with Slash, Duff, etc... which I'm not too optimistic about.

I don't want to sound too negative, but look at what Slash has released in the last 10 years. Nothing really great. There are some cool riffs here & there (sometimes I listen to some of his songs just for some riffs) but as for a coherent, great song, worthy of GN'R legacy: nothing. 

Maybe Slash tried some things out in Axl's studio, and Axl didn't like it much and was honest about it.

Axl knows Slash's potential and knows what has to be done.

Slash has been in the comfort zone for 20+ years. Do you think anybody has stand up to him and told him one of his songs sucked? No.

Let's take a random Slash song (which I appreciate to some level) like "Baby can't drive" featuring Alice Cooper. It could have been an amazing song had Alice been vocal & honest about the structure of the song and its lack of inventiveness. He wasn't and as a result, the song is mediocre. But I feel it had a potential. 

You aren't waiting for a new Aerosmith, AC/DC, Nine Inch Nails or whatever album. I love all of those artists but they've all settled for a "meh" result in the past 15 years. It's GN'R we are talking about. Axl won't settle for mediocrity. He wants top notch material and it will take the time it will take.

Maybe some people really enjoy every new shit that's released musically or theatrically, but let's be honest: 99% of what's released suck.
Personally, I don't give a shit about most of what has been release recently. The only media/art that's consistent and improving is video games. The rest gets worse and worse each year.

Why? Because everybody settles for this shit! The creators and the public. 

Quality takes time & hard thought. Sometimes it's magical and it takes no time, if you have the right formula.

But I think that right now, they need to take as much time as they need, and that Axl really needs to think it through.

I have faith in Axl, I'm sure they'll end up releasing something great. He hasn't disappointed ever with a record.

• Like 1

My bet on it:

I do speak Portuguese, but I understand Spanish and to me there's clearly a typo in the original interview.

The part that's turning everyone's heads upside down is:

A este punto, todos queremos hacer un disco nuevo. Eso es verdad. Pero de ahí a que efectivamente lo hagamos... no creo que finalmente suceda. Veremos qué pasa

"no creo" means something like "I don't think so..."

But the world "finalmente" or "finally" doesn't match with the entire sentence, which makes me think that he actually said something like:

A este punto, todos queremos hacer un disco nuevo. Eso es verdad. Pero de ahí a que efectivamente lo hagamos... lo creo que finalmente suceda. Veremos qué pasa

"lo creo" means somenthing like "I do think so..."

So, there you go, change "no creo" for "lo creo" and everything is as Slash is saying for the last past months.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Legendador said:

My bet on it:

I do speak Portuguese, but I understand Spanish and to me there's clearly a typo in the original interview.

The part that's turning everyone's heads upside down is:

A este punto, todos queremos hacer un disco nuevo. Eso es verdad. Pero de ahí a que efectivamente lo hagamos... no creo que finalmente suceda. Veremos qué pasa

"no creo" means something like "I don't think so..."

But the world "finalmente" or "finally" doesn't match with the entire sentence, which makes me think that he actually said something like:

A este punto, todos queremos hacer un disco nuevo. Eso es verdad. Pero de ahí a que efectivamente lo hagamos... lo creo que finalmente suceda. Veremos qué pasa

"lo creo" means somenthing like "I do think so..."

So, there you go, change "no creo" for "lo creo" and everything is as Slash is saying for the last past months.

I'm sorry, native Spanish speaker here, more over so Argentinian, and what you just posted is wrong.

There is no typo in the interview. Maybe the translation from English to Spanish is not accurate but we will never know that, until we hear the audio of the interview.

Either way, my bet is that IF Slash DID say that (which is a possibility) we are all acting in denial :lol: but if he DID NOT say it, it looks more like a manipulation of the words just to create a juicy headline.

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

The "I don't think it will eventually happen" kind of makes no sense in the context of the whole answer, because he does say "At this point, we all want to make a new record. That is true." [POSITIVE]
"But to actually make it.... I don't think it will eventually happen" [NEGATIVE] and he finishes with "Let's see what happens" [POSITIVE AGAIN].

A negative between two positives, why would he answer like that?

It feels like some kind of word manipulation to make headline impact.... especially because Slash has not said something like this in any other interview with Argentinian media.

Not that he's been mega positive about writing a new album, he always sounds cautious and more prone to not give false hopes to the fans, but at the same time, he's never been so categorically negative about it.

Postive/negative/positive is a management technique. Its called something like a "compliment sandwich." A trained media person like Slash might utilize it intentionally (or not)? It softens the blow of the negative.

For example, like me herding the puppies that are student activists serving a Food Not Bombs meal:

"Hey, what an interesting new hairdo you have! I need to mention that you cant just stand off to the side smoking and posing. Because everyone loves your humour - serve that up while you serve the food!"

That said I think you make great points about this being odd and out of place from Slash.

45 minutes ago, soon said:

A trained media person like Slash might utilize it intentionally (or not)? It softens the blow of the negative.

Yeah, but he's always been utterly cautious of what he says about GN'R or the album, because he knows what kind of people he's dealing with :rolleyes:

For some reason, I find it hard to believe that he would give such a definitive answer, especially when in a previous sentence he says everybody wants to do it :shrugs:.

Even in Spanish that part of his answer sounds a bit forced. So I'm not sure.

Been trying to get a hold of the journalist but he's nowhere to be found :lol:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, but he's always been utterly cautious of what he says about GN'R or the album, because he knows what kind of people he's dealing with :rolleyes:

For some reason, I find it hard to believe that he would give such a definitive answer, especially when in a previous sentence he says everybody wants to do it :shrugs:.

Exactly. Pretty sure he said nothing new here.

It must be frustrating when you say: 'no GNR questions', and the clickbait title ends up being your manipulated answer to a question about GNR :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

I'm sorry, native Spanish speaker here, more over so Argentinian, and what you just posted is wrong.

There is no typo in the interview. Maybe the translation from English to Spanish is not accurate but we will never know that, until we hear the audio of the interview.

Either way, my bet is that IF Slash DID say that (which is a possibility) we are all acting in denial :lol: but if he DID NOT say it, it looks more like a manipulation of the words just to create a juicy headline.

Well, mine was just a guess! ;) 

But let's hope for the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D.. said:

Relax... I'm sure the album will happen eventually. With or without Slash & co. Worst case scenario (which would actually be my best scenario): Axl releases CD II with Buckethead & Robin takes, untouched. It could even be an EP. I just want The General untouched, personally. I'll take The General untouched any day over whatever Slash will come up with.

Or, we will have an album with Slash, Duff, etc... which I'm not too optimistic about.

I don't want to sound too negative, but look at what Slash has released in the last 10 years. Nothing really great. There are some cool riffs here & there (sometimes I listen to some of his songs just for some riffs) but as for a coherent, great song, worthy of GN'R legacy: nothing. 

Maybe Slash tried some things out in Axl's studio, and Axl didn't like it much and was honest about it.

Axl knows Slash's potential and knows what has to be done.

Slash has been in the comfort zone for 20+ years. Do you think anybody has stand up to him and told him one of his songs sucked? No.

Let's take a random Slash song (which I appreciate to some level) like "Baby can't drive" featuring Alice Cooper. It could have been an amazing song had Alice been vocal & honest about the structure of the song and its lack of inventiveness. He wasn't and as a result, the song is mediocre. But I feel it had a potential. 

You aren't waiting for a new Aerosmith, AC/DC, Nine Inch Nails or whatever album. I love all of those artists but they've all settled for a "meh" result in the past 15 years. It's GN'R we are talking about. Axl won't settle for mediocrity. He wants top notch material and it will take the time it will take.

Maybe some people really enjoy every new shit that's released musically or theatrically, but let's be honest: 99% of what's released suck.
Personally, I don't give a shit about most of what has been release recently. The only media/art that's consistent and improving is video games. The rest gets worse and worse each year.

Why? Because everybody settles for this shit! The creators and the public. 

Quality takes time & hard thought. Sometimes it's magical and it takes no time, if you have the right formula.

But I think that right now, they need to take as much time as they need, and that Axl really needs to think it through.

I have faith in Axl, I'm sure they'll end up releasing something great. He hasn't disappointed ever with a record.

somewhat jaded statement especially the last part - if you think CD is great then that's your opinion but it was not at all in terms of the standards and legacy of GNR 

slash hasn't done anything that great but at least he's been productive 

the missing ingredient to writing anything good is izzy and as much as that frustrates axl and exposes slash's songwriting capacity its the truth 

it will happen. Axl doesn't seem content with the small catalog (in his opinion)

plus I think the unreleased material he worked on and new music is something he wants to release just like he said and now with Slash and Duff things can finally happen. Something is in the way but it might take a while for them to really get into it and figure out the right kind of mixture between the old and the new.

I'm optimistic as fuck

3 minutes ago, Lio said:

Exactly. Pretty sure he said nothing new here.

It must be frustrating when you say: 'no GNR questions', and the clickbait title ends up being your manipulated answer to a question about GNR :lol:

Maybe he was pissed off about the GN'R question so he went full ASH HUDSON on it, saying the truly truth from the bottom of his heart! :lol:

He can always say he was misquoted anyway :awesomeface:

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Claramente, la cagaron en la traducción para mi. Hay que escuchar el audio claro nada más.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This interview was made a few days before the release of the documentary Leaving Neverland, which again put into discussion the allegations of pedophilia about the deceased singer. However, Slash makes it clear that it is not a topic he wants to delve into.

From this part it's obvious that the interview was done a while ago, as Leaving Neverland was released in early March (I guess it's a mistake of google translator and it was a few days after, not before, since they asked Slash about it). So definitely before he went to Axl's house, which was last weekend.

It's not a new interview!!! See @Blackstar post above ^^^^^^

Thank you @Blackstar

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, NachoLZ said:

New Slash Interview with VOS (Entertainment news site from Argentina).

When asked about the new GnR record (translated by me):

Rest of the interview (Google Translate):

Source: https://vos.lavoz.com.ar/musica/slash-me-gustaria-pero-no-creo-que-haya-nuevo-disco-de-guns-n-roses?fbclid=IwAR0nKaBOojUKi5s6K0liGrWaRPu0onycTvXHGv5q9gyKQdaF9lhy0SlYY68

I'm going to change the name of the topic due to this interview being dated by the Leaving Neverland mention as @Blackstarpointed out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, valengf said:

Claramente, la cagaron en la traducción para mi. Hay que escuchar el audio claro nada más.

Sip, pero el Twitter del pibe está abandonado, no se lo podemos pedir por ahí :max:

I think Slash could have said "eventually" and not "finally".

• Like 1

We're still talking about this? The most recent interview is that Loudwire one where he says that ideas are coming in, so that's the one we should be going off of, not this old one. Obviously things have changed and there have been new developments in the last few months.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

We're still talking about this? The most recent interview is that Loudwire one where he says that ideas are coming in, so that's the one we should be going off of, not this old one. Obviously things have changed and there have been new developments in the last few months.

But 2 months is not OLD :facepalm::lol:

The Loudwire interview doesn't look like it was done yesterday either... it's more or less the same kind of thing asked and answered in all these latest interviews :shrugs:

In this case, Slash refrains from saying something totally negative about the album making, but he begins the sentence with the same words than the Argentina one:
"I don't think anything has been worked up to the point of ... well, let's put it this way. Ideas are coming in."

Negative statement, then he pauses and rephrases the tone of it.... ends it with a positive phrase.