Jump to content
NachoLZ

Old Slash Interview: "I don't think it will finally happen (about new Guns N' Roses album)"

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

We're still talking about this? The most recent interview is that Loudwire one where he says that ideas are coming in, so that's the one we should be going off of, not this old one. Obviously things have changed and there have been new developments in the last few months.

But 2 months is not OLD :facepalm::lol:

The Loudwire interview doesn't look like it was done yesterday either... it's more or less the same kind of thing asked and answered in all these latest interviews :shrugs:

In this case, Slash refrains from saying something totally negative about the album making, but he begins the sentence with the same words than the Argentina one:
"I don't think anything has been worked up to the point of ... well, let's put it this way. Ideas are coming in."

Negative statement, then he pauses and rephrases the tone of it.... ends it with a positive phrase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goddamnit, make your minds up. What did he say, you dirty fuckers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, just found out this interview was made on April 3rd, 2019.

Trying to get the audio but cannot promise anything!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, killuridols said:

But 2 months is not OLD :facepalm::lol:

The Loudwire interview doesn't look like it was done yesterday either... it's more or less the same kind of thing asked and answered in all these latest interviews :shrugs:

In this case, Slash refrains from saying something totally negative about the album making, but he begins the sentence with the same words than the Argentina one:
"I don't think anything has been worked up to the point of ... well, let's put it this way. Ideas are coming in."

Negative statement, then he pauses and rephrases the tone of it.... ends it with a positive phrase.

Well idk then. This is why I prefer video interviews, because then you actually see and hear them saying things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, but he's always been utterly cautious of what he says about GN'R or the album, because he knows what kind of people he's dealing with :rolleyes:

For some reason, I find it hard to believe that he would give such a definitive answer, especially when in a previous sentence he says everybody wants to do it :shrugs:.

Even in Spanish that part of his answer sounds a bit forced. So I'm not sure.

Note when I also said this in my post:

2 hours ago, soon said:

That said I think you make great points about this being odd and out of place from Slash.

:) 

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Been trying to get a hold of the journalist but he's nowhere to be found :lol:

That should do the trick! keep at it! New or old interview, its still some neat info to have if he thought that at one point recently.

TB put him in hiding for printing that? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, soon said:

That should do the trick! keep at it! New or old interview, its still some neat info to have if he thought that at one point recently.

TB put him in hiding for printing that? :lol:

Haha, no, he's visible but his Twitter is abandoned or something.

Just contacted a journo friend who works at the same company and she told me the interview was done on April 3rd, so that makes it more or less, a month old :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Man...why can't they just give a clear and meaningful answer in the first place for once?! :D

Following Guns is so not fun, we're all insane!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I dont think it will finally happen" does not make sense. Obviously lost in google translation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have you ever been tired of people asking about something that you didn't have a set time on?

One example:  Was dating this girl for a few years, our family kept asking us when we were going to get married.  2 times a year we had a family gathering on each side, so 4 extended family gatherings a year + special events like baptism, confirmation, weddings etc.  We were always getting asked and it annoyed the fuck out of us.  Then we decided to start telling people we decided to not get married, ever.  It was false, but it got people to stop asking us every fucking time we saw them.

 

At this point, people can extrapolate anything they want from any given gunner comment.  For me, as old hat, in on the ground floor in 87, I'm not going to be excited or depressed about anything that comes out.  GnR has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that nothing is certain, and nothing is impossible.

Edited by DeadSlash
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Oh Man...why can't they just give a clear and meaningful answer in the first place for once?! :D

Following Guns is so not fun, we're all insane!

But it is fun.ūüėĄ

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vloors said:

"I dont think it will finally happen" does not make sense. Obviously lost in google translation.

Like I said is that they translated the answer badly from English to Spanish then it is translated badly from Spanish back to English.

 

It is like translating "Those are hot pants."

Then the bad translated version reads "Those pants are on fire."

Then badly translated back to the original language version "Redheaded step child in ass-less chaps."

 

Edited by Billly B
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plot thickens: it isn't Slash.

Spoiler

Doesn't begin with ''when all things are considered''. 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

somewhat jaded statement especially the last part - if you think CD is great then that's your opinion but it was not at all in terms of the standards and legacy of GNR 

slash hasn't done anything that great but at least he's been productive 

the missing ingredient to writing anything good is izzy and as much as that frustrates axl and exposes slash's songwriting capacity its the truth 


Well if you think CD wasn't great and wasn't up to GNR's legacy, that's your opinion too. Not facts.

I do understand that people like the style of music old GN'R were playing before the CD era better. I'm very split on that one, I love both styles. The only common denominator between all those lineups is Axl, and he's clearly my favorite. 

I love Chinese as a whole, except Scraped and Riad which are... very weird. I don't like those songs, never listen to them. I also don't like If the world. I don't understand how those three songs were picked for the album. 

As for the rest: There was a time is a masterpiece, in the top tier GN'R songs along with Coma and Jungle, for me anyway.

Street of Dreams & Catcher are awesome, I.R.S. is great, This I Love is great, Prostitute is great, Better is very good, CD, Sorry, Madagascar & Shackler's are very good.

Overall, the album is amazing.

As for what Slash has released, I really like Serial Killer (his best solo song imo, if there is one song that is worthy of GNR's legacy in Slash's work, it's this one, and I find Snakepit mega boring as a whole), Fall to pieces and Slither.  Those three songs are awesome. They should have Axl's voice on them. As for the rest, I've listened to everything countless times and I'm not 100% satisfied with any of them. I do like some things here & there. Beautiful Dangerous for instance has a potential but it goes nowhere (Fergie is garbage). Anastasia could have been good but it's missing something (and I absolutely hate Myles's vocals, terrible singer, horrible voice, no attitude on stage, zero).

So sure Slash has been very productive, but I prefer CD over everything Slash has recorded.

Also, the most important, essential ingredient to any song is the voice. If you don't have it, then no matter how good the song is, it won't do it for me. 
Needless to say the attitude and the persona is also very, very important. Axl is one of the last incredible frontmen left, along with Steven Tyler. There are not many guys like those two. 

Axl is the magical ingredient that can turn mediocre songs into good songs. There are countless "meh" and even bad songs on Illusions like "So fine" or "Shotgun blues", but it becomes acceptable because of Axl (I still hate "so fine", it's √ľber garbage). Take any song you want from any artist, Axl always turns it into gold. Remember that time when Axl performed with Skidrow on "Piece of me", he absolutely nailed that song and turned it into something incredible. The studio version with Bach's vocals is okay, but the live version with¬†Axl is legendary.

I agree that if Axl, Slash & Duff make a record, they need Izzy back. Izzy was essential to the songwriting back then. But does he still have it? I don't know. I don't like anything Izzy has released post-GNR. I have zero interest in his work right now. And I give zero fuck about the loot. I would've made the same choices Axl has done with Izzy, he's annoying as fuck. Compose, stick to what you can do best and be happy with the money you make.

 

 

 

 

Edited by D..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

CSI:GNR is in full force!

Ok, CSI!

Journalist says he cannot share the audio because legal shit, but he claims Slash DID say what he said and that this answer caught him (the journalist) by surprise.

Also, he couldn't go deeper into that topic because the interview was granted under the commiment of not asking anything about GN'R :shrugs:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Ok, CSI!

Journalist says he cannot share the audio because legal shit, but he claims Slash DID say what he said and that this answer caught him (the journalist) by surprise.

Also, he couldn't go deeper into that topic because the interview was granted under the commiment of not asking anything about GN'R :shrugs:

 

Yes, but could he give a transcript of the English? (Or was that posted already and I missed it?) LOL, we're all nuts. It's not as if we'll have certainty about getting new music or not either way. The only way we'll ever know that, is when we're listening to it. But now I'm curious. I would like to see what he literally said in English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lio said:

Yes, but could he give a transcript of the English? (Or was that posted already and I missed it?) LOL, we're all nuts.

We are nuts indeed! :facepalm::lol:

I don't think he will be willing to give a transcript of the interview, who am I to ask for it anyways? :P

Though I've asked, he's not responded to that.

4 minutes ago, Lio said:

It's not as if we'll have certainty about getting new music or not either way. The only way we'll ever know that, is when we're listening to it.

Yeah, that's the sad truth. Even if they were effectively writing a whole damn song last weekend, we know in the GN'R world that doesn't mean shit because there are (allegedly) hundreds of songs sitting in the vault and only Satan knows when/if they will be released :shrugs:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like he either misspoke or lied or the plan has changed since then... or maybe that really is the truth. Only time will tell, I guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, D.. said:


Well if you think CD wasn't great and wasn't up to GNR's legacy, that's your opinion too. Not facts.

I do understand that people like the style of music old GN'R were playing before the CD era better. I'm very split on that one, I love both styles. The only common denominator between all those lineups is Axl, and he's clearly my favorite. 

I love Chinese as a whole, except Scraped and Riad which are... very weird. I don't like those songs, never listen to them. I also don't like If the world. I don't understand how those three songs were picked for the album. 

As for the rest: There was a time is a masterpiece, in the top tier GN'R songs along with Coma and Jungle, for me anyway.

Street of Dreams & Catcher are awesome, I.R.S. is great, This I Love is great, Prostitute is great, Better is very good, CD, Sorry, Madagascar & Shackler's are very good.

Overall, the album is amazing.

As for what Slash has released, I really like Serial Killer (his best solo song imo, if there is one song that is worthy of GNR's legacy in Slash's work, it's this one, and I find Snakepit mega boring as a whole), Fall to pieces and Slither.  Those three songs are awesome. They should have Axl's voice on them. As for the rest, I've listened to everything countless times and I'm not 100% satisfied with any of them. I do like some things here & there. Beautiful Dangerous for instance has a potential but it goes nowhere (Fergie is garbage). Anastasia could have been good but it's missing something (and I absolutely hate Myles's vocals, terrible singer, horrible voice, no attitude on stage, zero).

So sure Slash has been very productive, but I prefer CD over everything Slash has recorded.

Also, the most important, essential ingredient to any song is the voice. If you don't have it, then no matter how good the song is, it won't do it for me. 
Needless to say the attitude and the persona is also very, very important. Axl is one of the last incredible frontmen left, along with Steven Tyler. There are not many guys like those two. 

Axl is the magical ingredient that can turn mediocre songs into good songs. There are countless "meh" and even bad songs on Illusions like "So fine" or "Shotgun blues", but it becomes acceptable because of Axl (I still hate "so fine", it's √ľber garbage). Take any song you want from any artist, Axl always turns it into gold. Remember that time when Axl performed with Skidrow on "Piece of me", he absolutely nailed that song and turned it into something incredible. The studio version with Bach's vocals is okay, but the live version with¬†Axl is legendary.

I agree that if Axl, Slash & Duff make a record, they need Izzy back. Izzy was essential to the songwriting back then. But does he still have it? I don't know. I don't like anything Izzy has released post-GNR. I have zero interest in his work right now. And I give zero fuck about the loot. I would've made the same choices Axl has done with Izzy, he's annoying as fuck. Compose, stick to what you can do best and be happy with the money you make.

 

 

 

 

agree to disagree izzy's first album with the ju ju hounds is better than CD and Velvet 

Velvet was better than CD 

CD has a handful of okay songs but were entirely blemished by the overproduction to become unbearable to enjoy - in their rawer 2001-2002 live forms yes some of them could've been gnr worthy masterpieces

 

axl lost his marbles after the 2002 debacle his band hasn't sounded good since then, if we want to be fair his initial CD lineup had the most promise and everything after and since then including NITL has been underwhelming 

 

rock the rock is the most utter piece of shit that has come out of any of the gnr members my world is 120 times better than that fucking embarrassment what was axl thinking 

 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axl can't sing anymore and Slash hasn't written a memorable riff in more than a decade.

So why again are we upset by the prospect of not getting an album by a couple of rich, fat guys whose talents dried up long ago?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My issue with the CD songs is that the vocal melodies aren‚Äôt very catchy apart from a few songs like the title track. A lot of those songs¬†are¬†hard to sing along to, whereas AFD has very ‚Äúsing along-y‚ÄĚ kinda melodies.

CD still has some very interesting sounds, though! And the guitar solos are all kickass. It’s funny cause a lot of people think CD failed commercially due to the lack of Slash, but honestly I think the guitars are the best parts of that album. It’s the vocals, ironically, that I have a hard time with.

Edited by rocknroll41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as it costs me to say this, Contraband is IMO a far better album than Chinese Democracy will ever be.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó