Old Slash Interview: "I don't think it will finally happen (about new Guns N' Roses album)"

4 hours ago, Nalbi said:

As much as it costs me to say this, Contraband is IMO a far better album than Chinese Democracy will ever be.

I disagree. Contraband did well because of the singles. Its got 4-5 good songs of it, rest of it is filler. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

He was probably thinking that he likes Looney Toons and everything doesn't have to be that serious. So when they asked him to sing that silly AC/DC parody song for one of his favorite cartoon shows, why wouldn't he do it? It was never supposed to be a great song. It's just a silly little cartoon song. Why do you take everything so seriously?

Like a few posters here they feel personally hurt and take things to heart because the bands not doing what they want them to do. 

The poster cannot distinguish between a song created for children and a cartoon, from what they want to believe the song represents. 

They than turn it around and it becomes the band and the world are against them. 

Of course it's all on Axl. What was he thinking, knowing full well, when approached to be involved, that the target audience was going to be children watching a cartoon. 

Nothing to do with the fact it's the individuals problem to deal with not anyone else's. 

These people don't use common sense logic. It would not make sense for any GNR member to write a classic GNR song for a childrens cartoon. 

I am not sure my 6 year old daughter would care about the lyrics, melody or riffs. She would be more interested in the actions of the cartoon characters. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

He was probably thinking that he likes Looney Toons and everything doesn't have to be that serious. So when they asked him to sing that silly AC/DC parody song for one of his favorite cartoon shows, why wouldn't he do it? It was never supposed to be a great song. It's just a silly little cartoon song. Why do you take everything so seriously?

cause im an intense gnr fan lol and i've spent a lot of fucking money on them not to get my return in full which is to me them doing a proper full reunion PERIOD if they write something new as a team then that would be just as good but so far this band if you wanna call em one has come up so short and even Axl knows it  

anyways there are axl fan boy supporters that think he is the main genius of the band and i would admit he is but not lately at all- it seems like a nice gesture of axl to get involved in a cartoon song or whatever but if they actually play that looney tunes song live over introducing any UYI deep cuts or any new material written by them as a team i think i''ll throw the towel in on gnr for good

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

cause im an intense gnr fan lol and i've spent a lot of fucking money on them not to get my return in full which is to me them doing a proper full reunion PERIOD if they write something new as a team then that would be just as good but so far this band if you wanna call em one has come up so short and even Axl knows it  

anyways there are axl fan boy supporters that think he is the main genius of the band and i would admit he is but not lately at all- it seems like a nice gesture of axl to get involved in a cartoon song or whatever but if they actually play that looney tunes song live over introducing any UYI deep cuts or any new material written by them as a team i think i''ll throw the towel in on gnr for good

There's no way they play that song live, I think.

15 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

rock the rock is the most utter piece of shit that has come out of any of the gnr members my world is 120 times better than that fucking embarrassment what was axl thinking 

I mean, Rock The Rock is a silly intentionally cliche rock song for an equally as intentionally-silly cartoon show, I am not sure judging it on the same criteria as a "normal" song would really do much but prove a lack of what is scientifically known as a "funny bone"

6 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Tool has announced a date for release of their new album, August 30, their first in over a decade - see GnR - its not that hard! Faarkkkk!!!!

it's hard if the frontman of the band is Axl. doesn't seem to want to release an album that won't stand the test of time so it takes longer to say something fresh musically speaking. Much longer. but now with Slash and Duff I think things will speed up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's hard if the frontman of the band is Axl. doesn't seem to want to release an album that won't stand the test of time so it takes longer to say something fresh musically speaking. Much longer. but now with Slash and Duff I think things will speed up.

Definitely agree, although it has been painfully slow with Tool as well, with some band members appearing very keen over the years to get new music done, but a controlling frontman holding everyone else back at his pace just because he can. So not too dissimilar really. Slash and Duff have been constant creative beasts over the years and don't suffer from Axl's perfectionism and paralysing fear of not putting out masterpieces! 

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

Definitely agree, although it has been painfully slow with Tool as well, with some band members appearing very keen over the years to get new music done, but a controlling frontman holding everyone else back at his pace just because he can. So not too dissimilar really. Slash and Duff have been constant creative beasts over the years and don't suffer from Axl's perfectionism and paralysing fear of not putting out masterpieces! 

I don't know if Axl doesn't release many albums just because he can. I think it's because he has the power to do so, that is to wait until it's done musically. Until it's good enough for him to release. he would rather not release anything if he feels it's disposable. I wouldn't call what Slash has been doing creative exactly. he admitted recording an album is almost just an excuse to tour. he is the opposite of Axl in that regard but because now he's back in Guns I think he'll make the effort to come up with ideas that Axl likes.

Edited by Rovim

That's the big question - will Slash's ego allow Axl's approach? Or can they meet somewhere in the middle, which would probably be the best scenario?

In the end, I'm much more for Axl's approach. 

Slash NEEDS to be challenged at this point of his career, it really pisses me of that he wants to do ANOTHER boring album with Myles. :D

So for Guns, more power to Axl! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

That's the big question - will Slash's ego allow Axl's approach? Or can they meet somewhere in the middle, which would probably be the best scenario?

In the end, I'm much more for Axl's approach. 

Slash NEEDS to be challenged at this point of his career, it really pisses me of that he wants to do ANOTHER boring album with Myles. :D

So for Guns, more power to Axl! 

I feel like the same could be said for the other way around, where Axl focuses too much on ballads and whatnot. They need to meet in the middle. Not one overpowering the other.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3

On 07/05/2019 at 8:55 PM, Edward Nygma said:

I disagree. Contraband did well because of the singles. Its got 4-5 good songs of it, rest of it is filler. 

I can barely name 4-5 good songs from CD.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

honestly...who gives a damn anymore.

would you rather have another Chinese or remember them with UYI's and TSI?

would you want another album with Frank/Fartus?

For me this line up just doesn't have the chemistry to do anything great (or in some cases - the quality).

Look at Ax's voice, Frank's drumming...

For me, at this point, unless it is some mixture of UYI line up (Matt, Iz/Gilb),  I 'd rather stick to the act of genious they had back in the day, when Ax could sing, Matt could play drumms and the only keys on stage would be Ax's on Novemeber rain or Dizzy in the back, no green haired chicks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nalbi said:

I can barely name 4-5 good songs from CD.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:55 PM, Edward Nygma said:

The good stuff on Contraband:

You Got No Right, Big Machine, Slither, Loving The Alien, Superhuman, Fall To Pieces

The good stuff on CD:

Shacklers Revenge, Catcher, Better, TWAT, CD, Street of Dreams

About six good songs on each. The difference is, one took 17 years to make and was Axl's only original material in over 25 years. The other was made within a year and was one of dozens of albums written by Slash in that same timeframe.

Edited by Towelie

Assuming the headline is one translated from the original language into English? I say that because the prose is quite odd. "I don't think it will finally happen" is quite grammatically strange and I would guess the actual sentence has been slightly lost in translation.

In any other time I would probably think that the headline was right, but with all of the other comments/speculation this would lead me to suggest that it has just been lost in translation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Might, might not have...Can you imagine them like that with Frank, Mel and Fortus in any circumstance?

Bottom line, people drink with friends :)  :)  

It's a whole different time and situation now. They travel with their own families and people now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

It's a whole different time and situation now. They travel with their own families and people now.

No less then they did back then. At that point they had Slash's, Duff's, Matt's, Gilby's wife and child on tour + Dizzy's...

So...they actually had more wifes on tour then than now ;)

...and trust me that is not the reason there is no chemistry and brotherhood between Slash and Duff vs Fartus, Ferrer, Mel

Edited by shotsfired cro