Old Slash Interview: "I don't think it will finally happen (about new Guns N' Roses album)"

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe Axl isn't like you? Maybe Axl isn't the way you think most musicians are? And maybe that is possible without being fucked up in the head? 

Brian May said years ago in an interview how Axl is a lot like Freddie was, "utterly meticulous". Fortus said Axl is a perfectionist, Alice Cooper mentioned how Axl made him do many, many vocal takes for The Garden and how he thought to himself at some point "it must be good enough" but if it's not good enough for a musician to release or he/she feels it's not the right time I don't think the fans should blame the musician for not releasing a half assed attempt.

I actually think it's good that Axl cares enough to not want to release disposable shit. that's the positive side of it. we're never going to get the same album twice like AC/DC either. it's just the nature of the beast.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Brian May said years ago in an interview how Axl is a lot like Freddie was, "utterly meticulous". Fortus said Axl is a perfectionist, Alice Cooper mentioned how Axl made him do many, many vocal takes for The Garden and how he thought to himself at some point "it must be good enough" but if it's not good enough for a musician to release or he/she feels it's not the right time I don't think the fans should blame the musician for not releasing a half assed attempt.

I actually think it's good that Axl cares enough to not want to release disposable shit. that's the positive side of it. we're never going to get the same album twice like AC/DC either. it's just the nature of the beast.

The problem with that analogy is Mercury released  (solo/Queen) 17 albums.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The problem with that analogy is Mercury released  (solo/Queen) 17 albums.

The problem with your problem with my analogy is that you didn't factor in the fact that every musician is different. there isn't anyone quite like Axl when it comes to a musician. he seems just so precious about his music he won't release something (imo) that isn't an artistic progression (like Chinese)

plus I believe that if Slash, Duff, and Izzy didn't quit he would have released much more music. Queen had all it's members until the end. I'm sure you can agree that Izzy and Slash brought something to the band that only they could bring. Axl considers Gn'R his solo project.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

so you honestly think Slash and Duff are as close to Ferrer, Fartus, Melli as they were to Iz, Gilb, Matt but there ain't no video!?:facepalm::question:

which ones you hadn't seen, the current line up or the 90's?

Whatever...I see you mentioned new album...

No, that is not what I said lol the whole point is who are we to judge personal bonds other people may or may not have in different points in one's life in relation to potential creative output?

Just seems like you are trying real hard to hate on something, that's all ;)

Edited by WhazUp

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

The problem with your problem with my analogy is that you didn't factor in the fact that every musician is different. there isn't anyone quite like Axl when it comes to a musician. he seems just so precious about his music he won't release something (imo) that isn't an artistic progression (like Chinese)

plus I believe that if Slash, Duff, and Izzy didn't quit he would have released much more music. Queen had all it's members until the end. I'm sure you can agree that Izzy and Slash brought something to the band that only they could bring. Axl considers Gn'R his solo project.

A musician who can’t release music, isn’t a musician. A donut with no hole is a Danish. 

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

And exactly that was the problem. Everybody leaved because of Axl and his behavior.

You wanna make something on your own? Then do it on your own, but GNR were always more than just Axl Rose. Even if it is an unpopular opinion to some people. In fact it's a fact.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

I myself also used to believe in this shite about Rose simply being the perfectionist and progressive - more fool me. In reality he is solely a legacy act.

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

And exactly that was the problem. Everybody leaved because of Axl and his behavior.

You wanna make something on your own? Then do it on your own, but GNR were always more than just Axl Rose. Even if it is an unpopular opinion to some people. In fact it's a fact.

but according to Axl Slash didn't play ball. he didn't want to progress which makes sense if you listen to his solo output, even Snakepit. Even Duff wasn't  onboard. No one could lead Gn'R other than Axl. Slash could have stayed and work with what Axl wanted to do which is exactly what he's doing now. Duff as well. It wasn't all on Axl. he didn't want to repeat himself like Slash and put an album just as an excuse for more touring.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I myself also used to believe in this shite about Rose simply being the perfectionist and progressive - more fool me. In reality he is solely a legacy act.

He cannot be a legacy act when he's repeatedly saying he wants to release more music and they're all saying the same thing. He also said in the last show of the NITL tour that they first have to finish the tour and then progress from there (new music)

I believe what Brian May and Alice Cooper said about him being a perfectionist. They have no reason to lie.

Edited by Rovim

5 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

A musician who can’t release music, isn’t a musician. A donut with no hole is a Danish. 

first  of all I love donuts and Danishes. Second, who says he can't release music? he just won't do it if it's not the right kind of album. I think he respects what Gn'R means which is: you don't release an album with the name "Guns N' Roses" on it unless it's truly great.

34 minutes ago, Rovim said:

first  of all I love donuts and Danishes. Second, who says he can't release music? he just won't do it if it's not the right kind of album. I think he respects what Gn'R means which is: you don't release an album with the name "Guns N' Roses" on it unless it's truly great.

Since when has CD been "truly great"? I didn't get the memo.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I believe what Brian May and Alice Cooper said about him being a perfectionist. They have no reason to lie.

Oh, Axl is definitely a perfectionist. And I doubt Diesel disagrees with that, he just thinks Axl is a perfectionist in addition to whatever else Diesel has against him.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

but according to Axl Slash didn't play ball. he didn't want to progress which makes sense if you listen to his solo output, even Snakepit. Even Duff wasn't  onboard. No one could lead Gn'R other than Axl. Slash could have stayed and work with what Axl wanted to do which is exactly what he's doing now. Duff as well. It wasn't all on Axl. he didn't want to repeat himself like Slash and put an album just as an excuse for more touring.

Axl led his version of GNR for like 20 years on his own. He managed to release one record. If you think that is successfully leading a band, than more power to you. I think he just failed.

And yeah, Axl and Duff should have considered using some of Slash's Snakepit stuff.

• Like 1

I also used to believe Axl was this perfectionist fella, but as time went by and we just had a subpar album in almost 30 years I settled my mind in:

Axl cant writte. The reception on the album the hired Guns created for him was terrible so he got into a position he could only rely on the real Guns to get a new album out. Theres 3/5 of the real Guns over there and one of those arent exactly that needed... I try not to fool myself thinking there will be an album now but theres a better possibility now than in the hired guns days. 

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Brilliant.

The guy has a career of more than 30 years and we only know for sure of three songs he wrotte (NR, Estranged and This I love), songs that are very similar if we look at them as a whole.

Theres no proof he actually wrotte for CD or if that was all hired hands work, as the guy was working with shadow companies since mid-90s. Does a person that can writte would really  need to rely on this kind of thing? I dont think so. 

Aerosmith brought outside writters but even then, there were a lot of songs with their own identity and its easy to identify. Axl suddenly hires a lot of people to writte for him and the songs became a mix of all those guys influences and earlier work. Is that really Axl work? Or the work of the hired hands? Im not saying he cant wrotte lyrics, but I really doubt he can writte songs. 

Edited by default_

I believe Rose is a legacy act, pure and simple, i.e., somebody who just ''tours the hits'' and is retired as a creative musician.

I am not even necessarily criticising him for this. It is disappointing how he threw his creativity down the toilet but it is what it is. Rod Stewart and Billy Joel seem to enjoy themselves in Vegas playing in front of housewives so I'm sure Rose enjoys it also. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I believe Rose is a legacy act, pure and simple, i.e., somebody who just tours the hits and is retired as a creative musician.

Is there any disagreement regarding whether Guns N' Roses has been a legacy act for the last 2-3 years? Still, that doesn't contradict the possibility that he is writing music right now. And as soon as GN'R releases a new album with original music, they cease to be a legacy act. It is sort of how it works.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Is there any disagreement regarding whether Guns N' Roses has been a legacy act for the last 2-3 years? Still, that doesn't contradict the possibility that he is writing music right now. And as soon as GN'R releases a new album with original music, they cease to be a legacy act. It is sort of how it works.

They are not writing music and not releasing a ''new album with original music'' though. Only people disillusioned would believe so.

They are however suing beer companies, (Slash and Duff) doing there solo things before commencing another hits tour. 

They are not writing music and not releasing a ''new album with original music'' though. Only people disillusioned would believe so.

Why do you think Slash had his amps up in Malibu then? To show them off to Axl? Why is Duff answering so coyly when asked?

Obstinately refusing to accept that GN'R could actually be in the early process of creating new music, seems more disillusioned than accepting that it is in fact a possibility.

Anyway, my point was that stating that GN'R today is a legacy act isn't by far as controversial as you seem to want to think. They kind of are, per definition.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Why do you think Slash had his amps up in Malibu then? To show them off to Axl? Why is Duff answering so coyly when asked?

Obstinately refusing to accept that GN'R could actually be in the early process of creating new music, seems more disillusioned than accepting that it is in fact a possibility.

Anyway, my point was that stating that GN'R today is a legacy act isn't by far as controversial as you seem to want to think. They kind of are, per definition.

I am sure whatever Slash is recording at Malibu will find a nice home alongside Chinese 2, Chinese remixed, the Illusion documentary and a mummified Paul Tobias. It will look very good perched on that shelf in the vault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am sure whatever Slash is recording at Malibu will find a nice home alongside Chinese 2, Chinese remixed, the Illusion documentary and a mummified Paul Tobias. It will look very good perched on that shelf in the vault.

I like to think that both Duff and Slash are too experienced with Axl to start the process of creating music with him for only to have it stacked away somewhere. Surely there is an MOU or something at the base here.