Old Slash Interview: "I don't think it will finally happen (about new Guns N' Roses album)"

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I like to think that both Duff and Slash are too experienced with Axl to start the process of creating music with him for only to have it stacked away somewhere. Surely there is an MOU or something at the base here. 

Well either they'll end up in the vault, or there will be some discarded Guns ideas on the next Conspirators album. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well either they'll end up in the vault, or there will be some discarded Guns ideas on the next Conspirators album. 

I also like to think that Axl is experienced enough with Slash to not allow music created in the context of Guns N' Roses to be legally used outside of that context.

It would be hilarious though, if Slash and Duff came back to GN'R more than 20 years after having left partly due to frustration with Axl, and then the whole thing happened over again. Like in the 90s. Ooh, I feel a sudden pang of nostalgia! You would think people would learn. Or change.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

We'll see who is right. Mark my words, all Guns will show by the end of the year will be a plethora of greatest hits revival concerts. 

Have I ever claimed we will hear new music from GN'R this year? This is you just starting to move the goalposts :lol:

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Have I ever claimed we will hear new music from GN'R this year? This is you just starting to move the goalposts :lol:

If not, when - if Slash has been in Malibu as you say? There are seven months of 2019 remaining. 

This is exactly like the early and mid 2000s. All the naysayers were convinced that there would never be a new GnR album and then CD came out. I have no doubt that a record with new music will come out one of these days, with or without Slash/Duff. Mark my words.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If not, when - if Slash has been in Malibu as you say? There are seven months of 2019 remaining. 

With a normal band I wouldn't be surprised if it took 1-2 years from when they start making music to the music is released. With GN'R I wouldn't be surprised if it took 5 years, or more.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

This is exactly like the early and mid 2000s. All the naysayers were convinced that there would never be a new GnR album and then CD came out. I have no doubt that a record with new music will come out one of these days, with or without Slash/Duff. Mark my words.

Yes and if it was up to Rose that album still wouldn't have come out in 2008. He was unhappy with the packaging or some bollocks. Interscope released it and Rose went into a gigantic strop.

We'd probably still be waiting for Chinese today if it was left to Rose. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Axl led his version of GNR for like 20 years on his own. He managed to release one record. If you think that is successfully leading a band, than more power to you. I think he just failed.

And yeah, Axl and Duff should have considered using some of Slash's Snakepit stuff.

there was a lot of shit going with the record company, Axl was dealing with some personal issues and a record was done in like 1999 only 2 years after Duff quit the band. The record company rejected that album saying it wasn't good enough. without Slash, Izzy, and Duff he had to rebuild the sound of the band then Jimmy and RTB fucked shit up including fuckin' Bob Ezrin.

Slash should have considered letting Axl use the ideas and what will become Fall To Pieces, something Axl actually liked. Axl also liked some of the stuff on Snakepit but even if it wasn't already too late there isn't one tune on there that can dictate a musical direction for a truly great Guns album. still doesn't solve the problem of where do you take it when you use the strongest material from IFOS.

Edited by Rovim

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We'd probably still be waiting for Chinese today if it was left to Rose. 

Neither you nor I can possibly know that, but I'm less cynical. That's why I think there will be a new record out. Don't ask me when, because that's a guessing game, especially with this band. It can be next year, it can be ten years from now, but with Slash/Duff back in the band, I would imagine sooner than later.

I don't get this idea of measuring band's greatness by the quantity of albums they've released. Majority of stuff they've put out I really love and nothing will take it away. They are one of my fave bands, but I don't feel as if they owe me anything more. At this point, if they release something new - that's great, that's exciting (whether it's original or not, I couldn't give damn; if it's good, it's good - I'll judge once I hear it). If not, it will hardly have any impact on me. If I was listening exclusively to GnR, surely it would suck... but come on, there's too much great music within reach to keep oneself occupied instead of sulking over someone not releasing anything. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, vikute91 said:

I don't get this idea of measuring band's greatness by the quantity of albums they've released. Majority of stuff they've put out I really love and nothing will take it away. They are one of my fave bands, but I don't feel as if they owe me anything more. At this point, if they release something new - that's great, that's exciting (whether it's original or not, I couldn't give damn; if it's good, it's good - I'll judge once I hear it). If not, it will hardly have any impact on me. If I was listening exclusively to GnR, surely it would suck... but come on, there's too much great music within reach to keep oneself occupied instead of sulking over someone not releasing anything. 

Who is sulking? I am merely giving my assessment that I don't believe Rose will release an album based on him being a legacy act. I've long since ceased listening to those same four Guns N' Roses albums, let alone waiting with some degree of expectation on a fifth album. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Wrong tense.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Who is sulking? I am merely giving my assessment that I don't believe Rose will release an album based on him being a legacy act. I've long since ceased listening to those same four Guns N' Roses albums, let alone waiting with some degree of expectation on a fifth album. 

Four albums? I’m assuming you’re not counting Lies and TSI, in this case?

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

These guys cannot afford another 10 years of tinkering and bollocking around.

All this music will be released post-mortem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

These guys cannot afford another 10 years of tinkering and bollocking around.

All this music will be released post-mortem.

In a positive view of things, i'll probably live enough to see ChiDem 2 after Axl passes away

• Haha 1

As much as I would like new music, let's not forget that this band first disbanded because they couldn't agree on a direction. Take Use Your Illusion as an example! It's almost like a compilation album, and the reason for it, was that it was done to make everyone happy, in Axl's words.

They have been together for what? 3 years now? I'm sure touring is great but I think an album is probably still a touchy subject. Nobody wants to ruin the whole thing. Duff and Slash don't wanna pressure Axl, they probably rely on Axl's initiative for starting things up. On the other hand, Axl probably is very passionate in including material that he had already created before the reunion, with other musicians, and that might not set well with Slash and Duff. 

The impression that I get from all this interviews, is that everyone is expecting to do an album at some point, but at the same time, they don't wanna pressure Axl into it, and in the meanwhile they're probably trying to reach an agreement on the direction that they want the album to go to. At this stage they're probably just throwing bits and pieces, ideas etc...  Slash: "Hey Axl look at this riff I did on Saturday", Axl "Not bad...save it for later" kind of thing...

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1