Guns N Roses sues brewery

Very similar example in relation to this topic.

https://racer.com/2019/05/14/haas-title-sponsor-rich-energy-loses-court-case-over-logo/

This example is based on a logo. 

The two are very much aligned, given both parties are profiting off someone else's original idea and work to create a brand that benefits themselves at the expense of others. 

Rich Energy's response is the normal go to position. 

We have been found out, give us some time to come up with an excuse, offer a settlement so this goes away and we save face or allow time for people to forget that we were trying to line our pockets off the back of other peoples ideas and work. 

Edited by kiwiguns

5 hours ago, Lio said:

Agreed. Rosé to me is just wine.

On the subject of that, I am sure I saw some wine like that last year on the forum here. Wasn't it in one of the pop-ups they had?

Found it, @Gracii Guns even called it Guns N' Rosé. I think you should sue too, Gracii!

If GNR ever has any new ideas, you can bet that they'll be recycled from this forum. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, soon said:

EwXI32qh.jpg

Its not in Guns official font. Its a completely different word roses/rose. Different 'N.' Thats why Guns claim wasnt about any of their tm'd material being reproduced, the claim was about a likelihood of confusion leading to brand damage.

Thing is, that suggests we are all idiots. I know that breweries make fun names and references on their bottles and cans. Its very common. Most of what I know about Canadian history is off the back of a series of beers that are named after people and events. Don't mean I assume the beer was produced by the Canadian History department at the University or the Heritage Ministry. 

If Guns had their own beer out, this lawsuit would make perfect sense to me. But as it is it is clearly over reach. This is just a bit of culture, directly relatable to naming and singing an entire song about a Trademarked wine called Night Train (and using night train imagery on merch no less).

Sometimes in law and business one might be tempted to pull every lever at ones disposal. This is the old 'baby with a hammer' concept. Just because they can sue doesnt mean they need to. Thats technocracy, not business acumen.

Wonder if Tracii gets the "Guns" portion of the settlement? Its all so fucking tedious.

When I first saw this, I actually thought it was GNR's beer brand. I figured since Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Def Leppard have their own beers that GNR was jumping  into this as well. It was only until this lawsuit came about that I learned it wasn't. This is coming from a college graduate who works at Bloomberg LP and is a hardcore GNR fan. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Draguns said:

When I first saw this, I actually thought it was GNR's beer brand. I figured since Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Def Leppard have their own beers that GNR was jumping  into this as well. It was only until this lawsuit came about that I learned it wasn't. This is coming from a college graduate who works at Bloomberg LP and is a hardcore GNR fan. 

Well, I certainly didnt mean to suggest that if someone didnt immediately realize it wasnt branded that they are an idiot :) More just that collectively, if you thought it was Guns beer, you might mention it on here and be corrected quickly. Or if you drank it and didnt like it I doubt it would tarnish your fandom. All to my larger point that they are suing for potential brand damage, but they are definitely causing brand damage in the process. To me and others in thread they are being jerks.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, Lio said:

Agreed. Rosé to me is just wine.

On the subject of that, I am sure I saw some wine like that last year on the forum here. Wasn't it in one of the pop-ups they had?

Found it, @Gracii Guns even called it Guns N' Rosé. I think you should sue too, Gracii!

Thanks for agreeing and great memory and detective work to remember and find the wine. 

Yes, while I guess a red beer has potential rose symbolism, wine's already known for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...