Moby Talks GN'R Hiring Him to Produce 'Chinese Democracy'

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Em' disliked him initially because he made some kind of comment about Em' being a homophobe or some such shit so Em' made a little reference to him in a song, it wasn't Em' that started that.  And he's was hardly a wilting wallflower in the situation, he made a point of standing up and booing Eminem when he was recieving some sort of award, dunno if it was a VMA or an EMA.

I remember that, Moby was actually clapping but Eminem thought he was booing or something stupid like that, so he got all offended again and threatened to beat him up, and then everyone started booing him. What an idiot.

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I remember that, Moby was actually clapping but Eminem thought he was booing or something stupid like that, so he got all offended again and threatened to beat him up, and then everyone started booing him. What an idiot.

Eminems a champ, a prodigy, I struggle to find fault with Em'.  And it would've been quite amusing to see him smack Moby :lol:

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Eminems a champ, a prodigy, I struggle to find fault with Em'.  And it would've been quite amusing to see him smack Moby :lol:

I'm sure he's a brilliant rapper, but don't you think he was a bit of an ass back in the day? He seemed to get offended by everything. 

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I'm sure he's a brilliant rapper, but don't you think he was a bit of an ass back in the day? He seemed to get offended by everything. 

Hip Hop in those days kinda placed you in a different cultural sphere where you had to be wired that way, problem is he got into the pop world and was taking those same principles in his approach to people like Moby which is kinda pointless.  Do I think he was an ass, I dunno, I always liked him, I'm sure he could be, I don't know, my admiration for him is predominately a musical thing, the rest is kinda incidental to me.

Is this the first time Moby has ever publicly talked about this? I've been following this band since '04 and I genuinely can't recall him ever discussing the project.

Everything he says seems to line-up with all of the rumour and innuendo of the time (re: vocals especially)

2 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Is this the first time Moby has ever publicly talked about this? I've been following this band since '04 and I genuinely can't recall him ever discussing the project.

Everything he says seems to line-up with all of the rumour and innuendo of the time (re: vocals especially)

He went around talking about it in the late 90s, which Axl wasn't too happy about: "I appreciate all the publicity he’s been giving us, but shut up already!"

I’ll forever fantasize about what a more electronic CD could have been.

I’ve always been more partial to the ‘99 demos Sean Beaven worked on. There was something spacey and Floydish about the sound textures of those.

Moby would have made a fantastic producer and I have to believe the album would have been just as strong as the one that came out a decade later, albeit, with a handful of other songs.

As far as Axl not regarding Moby, he may feel that Moby was in a position to help and didn’t, because he didn’t understand Axl’s process.

I think the last piece of advice Moby offered was for them to record the whole album inside of a month - like AFD...probably not at all what Axl wanted to hear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

I think he was quoted in the Spin magazine article back in 98 or 99. I remember Moby saying also that he didn't want to put his own career on hold for 2 years to produce Guns. Axl also shot back I think in the Rolling Stone article "while I appreciate all the publicity, shut the fuck up already". I think Moby was talking about it a lot back then.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:35 PM, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Hadn’t ever truly focused on the fact that Moby was entering his Play-era when the Guns opportunity came along. Guy was on fire at the time. 18 and Hotel were great too. Would have been interesting as hell IMHO (and perhaps wildly successful) had he produced the ‘99 version of Chinese...

BTW- I love Axl, Moby, & Eminem!;)

Play is a great album. I can't remember where I read it, but I think Axl was a fan of  Animal Rights (The Moby Album)-it came out in 96-I bought it at the time after reading Moby was going to produce GNR-I really didn't care for it that much.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 8:20 AM, Len Cnut said:

Eminem is kind of a whiny sissy, man. Dude is 50 and still crying about his mom. He’s got some lyrical talent, I’ll give him that, but I wouldn’t say he’s without fault... the production and music on a lot of his tunes is laughable (see lose yourself). He likes to start “beef” with people for no reason just to have something to rap about other than Vicodin and his mom... and this coming from a detroiter where everyone considers him a legend and genius. Lol I can’t stand him.

• Like 1

Im a CD fan. But Im sitting here thinking about if I were a life long fan since AFD, the year is 1997, I fire up the old AOL, an hour later the internets connected, then I learn that Moby is producing the new Guns album. 

Yeah... I can see be taken aback by that! And deeply sceptical of the project. Maybe enough to colour my impression when I finally heard it years later. 

Its like if today Cardi B announced she was producing the upcoming Guns album "Okurrr!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Eminem is kind of a whiny sissy, man. Dude is 50 and still crying about his mom. He’s got some lyrical talent, I’ll give him that, but I wouldn’t say he’s without fault... the production and music on a lot of his tunes is laughable (see lose yourself). He likes to start “beef” with people for no reason just to have something to rap about other than Vicodin and his mom... and this coming from a detroiter where everyone considers him a legend and genius. Lol I can’t stand him.

I meant like I can't find fault with him in his field, his craft, as a rhymer.  As a human being I don't really care.  I don't think he starts beef for no reason, unless you're talking about like the popstars and that but honestly I think a lot of that is just like, lyrical silliness, stuff he says just cuz it rhymes...it just so happens he got big so everything he said got kinda magnified but rappers have done that since forever and its never caused shit.  He's one of those guys where the tune can be shit but just hearing his rhymes is like, a quality thing.

So, you're from Detroit eh?  You got a lot to be proud of culturally, Motown, The Stooges, MC5, Funkadelic, Tommy Hearns, James Toney.  For one reason or another there's a lot of people I rate that come out of Detroit and the surrounding area. 

• Like 1

Oh cmon he rapped about more than his mom and vicodin, he also rapped about his Ex-Wife :lol:

Eminem's shtick was to be edgy/outrageous and rebel against everything - It made him a ton of money.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

So, you're from Detroit eh?  You got a lot to be proud of culturally, Motown, The Stooges, MC5, Funkadelic, Tommy Hearns, James Toney.  For one reason or another there's a lot of people I rate that come out of Detroit and the surrounding area. 

Yep, we've got a lot of great musical heritage in these parts, that's for sure! 

But I thought we learned recently the vocals on ChiDem are all or largely from the 90s?  And I also thought there was like 6 years of no real, considerable work done after the UYI tour (Axl's wilderness years)?  So if this stuff happened in 1997 and UYI tour ended in summer of 93, how is Axl able to have 6 or so empty years yet be in the studio with Moby with a lot of songs made up for him to listen to in 1997?  And if the vocals of ChiDem are from the 90s, as comments from last year suggest, how did Axl have no vocals to show for Moby in 1997?  I'm not saying Moby is sitting here telling straight lies, but there are so many conflicting statements about the making of ChiDem.  If you believe everything you hear about it, timelines don't match up and one thing said about it seems to contradict another thing said about it.  Aren't there reports of some other producer who was super level headed and worked with Axl around 97-99 who said there were like three honestly good songs and he told Axl he needed to be a bit more focused and Axl got angry and the relationship ended?  I don't believe this account implied there were no vocals made for the music.  It's all just really confusing and hard to follow to be honest

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

1 hour ago, Creed said:

Eminem + Moby would have made sense back then. But Axl + Moby? No way. The only track which sounds Moby inspired (or otherwise) is TWAT. 

Moby is a punk/rock guy who ended up making primarily electronic and trance music (but also rock music). Axl wanted industrial/electronic influences in his music, so I can see why he wanted someone like Moby producing the record. Makes more sense than Eminem and Moby.

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Moby is a punk/rock guy who ended up making primarily electronic and trance music (but also rock music). Axl wanted industrial/electronic influences in his music, so I can see why he wanted someone like Moby producing the record. Makes more sense than Eminem and Moby.

Moby comes from a punk background? I never knew that.

Maybe he comes to his veganism via hard core punk and its straight edge thing? I figured he was some sort of new age person.

1 hour ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

But I thought we learned recently the vocals on ChiDem are all or largely from the 90s?  And I also thought there was like 6 years of no real, considerable work done after the UYI tour (Axl's wilderness years)?  So if this stuff happened in 1997 and UYI tour ended in summer of 93, how is Axl able to have 6 or so empty years yet be in the studio with Moby with a lot of songs made up for him to listen to in 1997?  And if the vocals of ChiDem are from the 90s, as comments from last year suggest, how did Axl have no vocals to show for Moby in 1997?  I'm not saying Moby is sitting here telling straight lies, but there are so many conflicting statements about the making of ChiDem.  If you believe everything you hear about it, timelines don't match up and one thing said about it seems to contradict another thing said about it.  Aren't there reports of some other producer who was super level headed and worked with Axl around 97-99 who said there were like three honestly good songs and he told Axl he needed to be a bit more focused and Axl got angry and the relationship ended?  I don't believe this account implied there were no vocals made for the music.  It's all just really confusing and hard to follow to be honest

Moby just counted the years between UYI and his arrival. The only stuff that had been done at that point was farting around with loops and jamming ideas while auditioning potential band members.

A significant amount of the vocals were recorded between 1997 (post-Moby)-2000. The Sean Beavan version of the album was done with aim for a '00/'01 release, then Bob Ezrin came in and told Axl it sucked, which triggered a massive setback and a whole set of new recordings including the Bucket and Robin compositions from then until around '04 when the label stopped funding it, then tinkering, overdubs and mixing until it was finished in '07, with the label figuring out htf to release it throughout '08. Most of what ended up on the album had already been written and (vocally) recorded by 2000, with later material being saved for later albums in the supposed trilogy.

Roughly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

And Hardcore Pawn.😄  I hate to admit it but I kind of miss watching those dipshits.

No joke, I once found myself over that way about 6 - 7 years ago. Most of Detroit is so much better now, but that area remains pretty much untouched. Very scary area IMO lol

• Like 1