Moby Talks GN'R Hiring Him to Produce 'Chinese Democracy'

7 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I have articles from that period when it was reported that Moby was working with Axl, and GN’R. And Moby was quoted saying something like “they’re working with loops, and doing it better than anyone else is”

An odd quote, but Moby was praising Axl and GN’R for what they were doing musically while he was there with them.

I’ll see if I can dig the articles up and transcribe exactly what was written.

He's quoted saying it in this 1997 MTV article, too:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1429822/moby-and-axl-rose-producing-pals/

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Derick said:

Seriously? Is that hard to you understand why in a GN’R diehard forum that kinda of things happens? I hope that you actually was trying to say that fans defending Mr. Rose or just the fact that some diehards don’t buy that easy every shitty that pops up against him annoys you AF. But hey..don’t worry we already know that .:lol:

And this is not even what happened in this thread. Most of the discussion was irrelevant to the OP, Axl and what Moby said (which he had said before and most fans here knew it). It developed into a thread about people's opinions on Moby as an artist and as a persona, whether they like his music and think he's cool or not.

--------

I saw Moby live twice (one during his Animal Rights/rock phase) in festivals in the '90s and it was very enjoyable. I was surprised that he was such a good live act.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Derick said:

Seriously? Is that hard to you understand why in a GN’R diehard forum that kinda of things happens? I hope that you actually was trying to say that fans defending Mr. Rose or just the fact that some diehards don’t buy that easy every shitty that pops up against him annoys you AF. But hey..don’t worry we already know that .:lol:

Pff...

More like it bores me to death and makes me feel sorry for their immature reaction. The majority of GN'R fans are people 35+.

There's nothing to defend Axl about. No one fucking cares whether fans believe or not believe what other artists or co-workers say about him, because fans will never be there to have a work relationship with Axl.

Moby just responded why he thinks Axl doesn't talk to him anymore. There's nothing to be validated or invalidated about that by anyone else but Moby (and Axl, obviously).

That was his personal experience with Rose and also his opinion or his version of how things happened. Maybe Axl has a different version of the story, but we won't know until he speaks. In the meantime, digging in Moby's life to highlight his sexual past or make fun of his 'micro-penis' is pretty silly and immature. More suitable to a junior high classroom than a forum for adult fans of a band.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

Pff...

More like it bores me to death and makes me feel sorry for their immature reaction. The majority of GN'R fans are people 35+.

There's nothing to defend Axl about. No one fucking cares whether fans believe or not believe what other artists or co-workers say about him, because fans will never be there to have a working relationship with Axl.

Moby just responded why he thinks Axl doesn't talk to him anymore. There's nothing to be validated or invalidated about that by anyone else but Moby (and Axl, obviously).

That was his personal experience with Rose and also his opinion or his version of how things happened. Maybe Axl has a different version of the story, but we won't know until he speaks. In the meantime, digging in Moby's life to highlight his sexual past or make fun of his 'micro-penis' is pretty silly and immature. More suitable to a junior high classroom than a forum for adult fans of a band.

You said penis, cool.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And this is not even what happened in this thread. Most of the discussion was irrelevant to the OP, Axl and what Moby said (which he had said before and most fans here knew it). It developed into a thread about people's opinions on Moby as an artist and as a persona, whether they like his music and think he's cool or not.

--------

I saw Moby live twice (one during his Animal Rights/rock phase) in festivals in the '90s and it was very enjoyable. I was surprised that he was such a good live act.

I saw Moby at Glastonbury 2000 and it was sensational, playing the Play (play Play noticed) album stuff at/after sunset on a warm evening.

I don't remember this track, just seeing it by chance on YouTube, but it's pretty rocking, and has a GNR Bond song connection:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

I don't remember this track, just seeing it by chance on YouTube, but it's pretty rocking, and has a GNR Bond song connection:

Yeah, I remember the James Bond theme. He did in '98, too - that was the second time I saw him. He also did a sped-up less than a minute version of Paranoid.

The first time was in '96. I had gone to that festival for Iggy Pop mostly and some of the other bands and I didn't care about Moby, but he was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I'm very happy now because while looking for a video of Moby from that '96 festival, I found an audio from Iggy's performance there.

46 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

People actually care about this guy enough to see a biopic about him?

Oh, I should have been more clear, sorry. I meant to say that since he's 50 and has more than one memoir its like thats what he's gunning for. Or like it wouldnt surprise me if he were writing his own biopic given all the memoirs.

Im also learning that Moby's more popular than I thought, though.

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I remember the James Bond theme. He did in '98, too - that was the second time I saw him. He also did a sped-up less than a minute version of Paranoid.

The first time was in '96. I had gone to that festival for Iggy Pop mostly and some of the other bands and I didn't care about Moby, but he was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I'm very happy now because while looking for a video of Moby from that '96 festival, I found an audio from Iggy's performance there.

After loving Feeling So Real I didn't care that much about the rest of Moby's stuff (bit like grunge with Pearl Jam's Alive and the Nirvana hits) until 1999's Play album (bit like hearing the Mother Love Bone with grunge) sparked an interest again, so 2000 was a great time for me to see him. 

Iggy would have been a good festival show for me, although I don't love his stuff or any songs, I like it, and he is a legend with what looks like an amazing stage show. 

11 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, I should have been more clear, sorry. I meant to say that since he's 50 and has more than one memoir its like thats what he's gunning for. Or like it wouldnt surprise me if he were writing his own biopic given all the memoirs.

Moby's life is full of biopic type stuff, from a famous ancestor to the poor childhood with a hippy mother, who was very creative but didn't feel she'd achieved.

Moby crossed styles as he felt, and crossed the country touring; and as he achieved some success flew into the UK's height of the rave scene.

He's quite introverted and always self-analysing, so a biopic would be quite interesting. I imagine it could be filled with lots of thought sequences, natural scenery and nice animals.

His veganism has become normalised now, so it would probably be interesting to the new generation of vegans. 

I don't think Moby's as big as Freddie Mercury or Elton John yet, but I guess is about the same as Motley Crue - I nearly wrote, 'but for very different audiences'; well, I did actually, so I've left it in; before remembering Moby's a Crue fan, but don't think many Crue fans are Moby fans, but may be wrong, for I am one!

After writing the two posts above I read a further instalment in the Moby-Natalie media tiff: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/moby-apologises-to-natalie-portman-and-says-he-wasnt-respectful/ar-AABUjx4?ocid=spartanntp

Posting on Facebook I added:

Jason Statham and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley have a 19 years age gap and are still happily married, so I think it's ageist for Natalie Portman to make such a fuss about a 14 years age gap; especially when Moby acted totally responsibly.
I think he was right to apologise for a mix-up about the context of their 'dating', but nothing else.
Compared to most teachers, tutors, friends and managers I've seen his behaviour with Natalie Portman seems saintly!

Moby was of course a star in my Werewolf of Oz: Fantasy Travel by Google Maps. His inspired character, MiMo (Mildly Monotheist) Moby reversed the witches as negative characters from The Wizard of Oz; it was a parody of the film.
I read in his Porcelain memoir that he'd lost his childhood-youth religious belief, and believed more in science now.

1 hour ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Has anyone in here actually read his book and if so, is there any Axl/Chinese Democracy stories?

I haven't. Just read this interview https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/trouble-so-hard-moby-his-new-memoir-20th-anniversary-‘play’ and no mention.

He's on a UK book tour soon, if anybody wants to meet and ask/interview him; just tickets left for London: https://fabersocial.co.uk/2019/04/08/moby-then-it-fell-apart-book-tour/

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
sold out
  • Thanks 1

On 25/05/2019 at 7:37 AM, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Holy shit this is BAD, is this what Axl was trying to achieve? I see myself as a very open minded music wise but I listened to this and the only thought that crossed my mind was WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING WITH THE JAMES BOND THEME.

19 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah seems to be. I had never really paid attention to his stuff.

7 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Jason Statham and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley have a 19 years age gap and are still happily married, so I think it's ageist for Natalie Portman to make such a fuss about a 14 years age gap; especially when Moby acted totally responsibly.
I think he was right to apologise for a mix-up about the context of their 'dating', but nothing else.
Compared to most teachers, tutors, friends and managers I've seen his behaviour with Natalie Portman seems saintly!

I agree. Seems to just be a big misunderstanding, unless there's more to the story than what's been said.

• Thanks 1

There's another story from the book on MSN today, how Andre 3000 (think I know the name, but nothing else!) wouldn't work with Moby after Moby tried to show him some love, cos so many people were hating Moby: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/andre-3000-turned-down-moby-collaboration-because-people-hated-him-too-much/ar-AABVfI2?ocid=spartanntp

Doesn't say why everybody hates Moby.

Maybe it's for similar reasons to everybody hating Axl, cos he tried to speak his mind, and go against the popular politically correct view?

Makes me wonder if Natalie Portman is making a fuss cos she knows Moby's unpopular, and so she'll win more friends than lose; and gain publicity herself.

Would she have objected to Andre 3000 in the same way?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Creed said:

Mobys songs are melodic and repetitive loops, while CD is not.

You keep saying this, but it doesn't mean that Moby as a producer would only come up with ''repetitive loops''. Making your own music or being a producer for someone else is a different thing.

6 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Makes me wonder if Natalie Portman is making a fuss cos she knows Moby's unpopular, and so she'll win more friends than lose; and gain publicity herself.

Huh?

I'm pretty sure she's just speaking up for the exact reason she said. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Natalie Portman, an Oscar & Golden Globe winner actress, needs Moby to gain publicity for herself? :question:

Excuse me! I have to ROTLMAO! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

:facepalm:

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

On May 26, 2019 at 5:57 AM, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Moby's life is full of biopic type stuff, from a famous ancestor to the poor childhood with a hippy mother, who was very creative but didn't feel she'd achieved.

Moby crossed styles as he felt, and crossed the country touring; and as he achieved some success flew into the UK's height of the rave scene.

He's quite introverted and always self-analysing, so a biopic would be quite interesting. I imagine it could be filled with lots of thought sequences, natural scenery and nice animals.

His veganism has become normalised now, so it would probably be interesting to the new generation of vegans. 

I don't think Moby's as big as Freddie Mercury or Elton John yet, but I guess is about the same as Motley Crue - I nearly wrote, 'but for very different audiences'; well, I did actually, so I've left it in; before remembering Moby's a Crue fan, but don't think many Crue fans are Moby fans, but may be wrong, for I am one!

I can hear the movie trailer narration now.

"In a world where a Comic Dog puppet, a man named after a candy and a man named after one of his ancestors allegories feud relentlessly in the public eye; you can rock hard or chill to synth scapes. You just cant eat crickets. The booze that fuel the dubauchery may be filtered using fish bladders, but the debauchery itself is pure vegan. Axl Rose will be offended, teenagers will be creeped out. This summer, be inspired at the movie critics are calling "its just depicts him writing his 6th memoir!?!?" On Memorial Day weekend be touched by Mobys story, his family and Mobys dick with But She Was Legal And I Was Drunk part 1"

:lol: j/k

The biopic you described would be cool for sure.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Creed said:

Mobys music is so different compared  to GnRs.

You are like a broken record in this thread. You just refuse to understand that making your own music and being a producer is not the same thing. Had he produced CD it doesn't mean it would have sounded like a Moby record.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, killuridols said:

Natalie Portman, an Oscar & Golden Globe winner actress, needs Moby to gain publicity for herself? :question:

Excuse me! I have to ROTLMAO! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

:facepalm:

Every little helps - Tesco

Moby is bigger in my mind and life.

Never noticed Natalie Portman much. Did watch Black Swan and liked it, but didn't remember she was in it!

Just researched her: She has courted publicity and popularism before, such as appearing in Simpsons and working on Thor and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so not all arty high culture stuff. 

She has now got married and become a parent, and joined the metoo movement, so has probably become a different person to the one who went around with Moby; but without dating. Maybe her husband was angry about it - 'You never told me you dated Moby!'

• Haha 1