Duff on Rock & Roll Road Trip with Sammy Hagar

Very cool, I like the show and Sammy is a good host.  He's funny and is pretty self deprecating with his humor.  He usually jams with his guest and it is pretty loose and honestly sometimes doesn't sound very good.😄  But that's ok, it's cool and it should be with Duff.

Edited by lame ass security

I like Hagar as a 'personality.' I don't think I've ever heard I Cant Drive 55. But I just enjoy his vibe, he's so up beat. Especially him and Anthony make quite a fun duo. 

Sometimes I get the sense that Duff could use some loosening up during interviews. If anyone can do it, its Hagar!! I'd really like to hear Duff giggle or laugh deeply at something other than a knock knock joke.

Maybe Hagar can help Duff find a comedic flow that isnt designed for failure. Duffs go to humour during an interview is: "So, yeah, I was in a band called The Farts (pause for tumbleweeds), yep The Farts (nod to encourage reciprocation and give a sudden look into the interviewers eyes, who stares back blankly) and we played punk rock music."

• Like 1

Sammy Hagar kicks ass.  I saw him Friday night.  The Circle is such a great band.  And for age 72- Sammy is better than ever.  Vince Neil opened up and ----yikes.  Looks horrible and sounds bad.  But he's a legend so he was fun to see too.  Can't say enough about how awesome Sammy and The Circle are though.  Here is an example (not my show but a good clip none the less)-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7O7lcdXBE

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Original said:

Vince Neil opened up and ----yikes.  Looks horrible and sounds bad.  

Yup, Vince is in his Fat Elvis era now.

Give Axl a couple more years and a couple more trips to Taco Bell.........

And yes, Sammy still has it!

8 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Yup, Vince is in his Fat Elvis era now.

Give Axl a couple more years and a couple more trips to Taco Bell.........

And yes, Sammy still has it!

Elvis still sang very well in his fat era. I think you mean Vince is in his Fat Axl era.;)

I missed the Axl, taco bell part....but I still stand by what I said. 

Edited by gnfnrs1972

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/roths-van-halen-sales-trounce-sammy-hagars-hold-on-there-dave

The ages old battle of Dave vs. Sammy.  I say you CAN like them both.  DLR is a slightly better frontman for VH in my opinion.  However, when it comes to other projects, Sammy wins hands-down with his solo work, Montrose, Chickenfoot, the Circle etc.  Again, DLR is the more iconic frontman for VH, but Sammy is better overall.  

Personally, I like them both.  It would be great if VH did a tour with a half and half show.  1.5 hours of Hagar and 1.5 hours of Roth.  WITH Michael Anthony.  That would be the Best of Both Worlds!

Now, what do they do with Gary Cherone? Extreme can be the opening act.

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 3

Im a massive Dave era VH fan and never even listened to any of the Van Hagar stuff other than what was on the radio and disliked that stuff greatly...but I also dislike everything he's done besides the first Montrose album. I find his lyrics extremely sophomoric and his music as simplistic as it gets. I just understand the popularity of that guy, but to each his own. 

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Never cared for Van Halen with Sammy.. Way to sterile and poppy... Sammy might be a cool dude and have a better voice but there is only one Diamond Dave.. Hoping they pull it together for one more tour.. I don't care what condition Dave's voice is in.. I will be shitfaced anyway.. 

Dave said during their tour, Sammy throws a party....I am the party!:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:50 AM, soon said:

I like Hagar as a 'personality.' I don't think I've ever heard I Cant Drive 55. But I just enjoy his vibe, he's so up beat. Especially him and Anthony make quite a fun duo. 

Sometimes I get the sense that Duff could use some loosening up during interviews. If anyone can do it, its Hagar!! I'd really like to hear Duff giggle or laugh deeply at something other than a knock knock joke.

Maybe Hagar can help Duff find a comedic flow that isnt designed for failure. Duffs go to humour during an interview is: "So, yeah, I was in a band called The Farts (pause for tumbleweeds), yep The Farts (nod to encourage reciprocation and give a sudden look into the interviewers eyes, who stares back blankly) and we played punk rock music."

Haha.

Yeah I really like Hagar totally divorced from the Van-Halen context. I can't listen to Van Hagar but honestly Dave has aged out while Sammy hasn't really missed a beat. He sounds pretty great! Guy has like four decades on me and rocks like a beast! If you watch him on Stern or podcasts he's really thoughtful and entertaining as well.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

Hopefully Duff takes this opportunity to teach us "how to be man".

Better yet, maybe he'll tell us how much money it took for him to look the other way as he and his business partners decided to screw their longtime "friend", Izzy, out of the reunion.

"No seriously. We wanted him to be part of it" [ahem .. as long as he's willing to do it for peanuts]. -Duff

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

Hopefully Duff takes this opportunity to teach us "how to be man".

Better yet, maybe he'll tell us how much money it took for him to look the other way as he and his business partners decided to screw their longtime "friend", Izzy, out of the reunion.

"No seriously. We wanted him to be part of it" [ahem .. as long as he's willing to do it for peanuts]. -Duff

They didn't need him. They already had an Izzy look alike. Hmmmm guess who?

On 5/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, gnfnrs1972 said:

Diamond Dave all the way!:headbang:

1984 was the first tape I ever bought on my own. Dave takes the cake over Hagar all day long, although I really liked 5150 when it it came out. The rawness of that record still gets me!

I like both eras of VH, but the DLR era is clearly better. I wish they could find a way to ALL coexist together though, because in all honesty the entire VH catalogue is incredibly hard to compete with. Imo, Zeppelin, Stones, Pink Floyd, ACDC (just to name a few) don't have the catalogue that VH does. But as a VH fan, you only get one or the other. So no matter what, you feel a little cheated imo. I've seen them live with both Sammy and Dave. At the Sammy show, I was wishing I could hear Hot for teacher. At the Dave show I was missing finish what ya started. It's just how it goes for me. 

I DO think Sammy has more left in the tank (by a long shot). I also think he is and always has been the better singer. But Dave is the better songwriter and better frontman. 

4 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I like both eras of VH, but the DLR era is clearly better. I wish they could find a way to ALL coexist together though, because in all honesty the entire VH catalogue is incredibly hard to compete with. Imo, Zeppelin, Stones, Pink Floyd, ACDC (just to name a few) don't have the catalogue that VH does. But as a VH fan, you only get one or the other. So no matter what, you feel a little cheated imo. I've seen them live with both Sammy and Dave. At the Sammy show, I was wishing I could hear Hot for teacher. At the Dave show I was missing finish what ya started. It's just how it goes for me. 

I DO think Sammy has more left in the tank (by a long shot). I also think he is and always has been the better singer. But Dave is the better songwriter and better frontman. 

I can understand Dave not doing Finish What Ya Started because he probably couldn't handle it vocally.  But I don't know why Sammy wouldn't do Hot for Teacher, he could easily sing it.   Just curious, did Van Hagar ever do Jump?