Star Trek: Picard

2 minutes ago, soon said:

The premise laid out in the trailer brings Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi to mind. To a small degree.

To my uninitiated eyes it didn't look or feel very Trek?

It's set in 2399, 20 years after Star Trek Nemesis.

The show is about him, not the TNG cast.

I know they're going to just have the JJ Abrams films be in a alternative universe and nothing to do with this except the bit at the start about the end of the Romulus (I'd prefer they'd ignore this too), but I hope they don't try to reconcile this with Discovery.

I personally want a series closer to Deep Space Nine (if not the TNG) than one of Abrams Guardians of the Galaxy Star Trek hyribids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It does look like certain classic ''Picard-orientated'' Next Generation episodes such as ''The Inner Light'' and ''All Good Things...''.

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing an episode where he goes home to France(?) and iirc it was all a hallucination/dream/projection. It was very pastoral like this trailer. I guess Voyage Home also gives precedence to the real world landscape in Trek.

I just need to hear one "Beverley" and I'll be satisfied.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, soon said:

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing an episode where he goes home to France(?) and iirc it was all a hallucination/dream/projection. It was very pastoral like this trailer. I guess Voyage Home also gives precedence to the real world landscape in Trek.

I just need to hear one "Beverley" and I'll be satisfied.

Actually It was an episode titled "Family" where Picard goes to France just after his assimilation with the Borg. He visits his brother, who runs the family vineyard. There's also a future scene of Picard tending the vineyard in the last episode of TNG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24-5-2019 at 12:19 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I couldn't get into that last Star Trek, Discovery, where the Klingons resembled the Orcs from Lord of the Rings. It was all over the place in terms of the writing. I just stopped watching in the end. 

Im a big star trek fan myself and i agree s1 was absolute rubbish, however s2 has been a big improvement. I enjoyed it a lot. Captain pike really needs to get his own show and im sure it will happen somewhere down the line! Would love to see him, spock and number one again on that classic bridge

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grouse said:

Im a big star trek fan myself and i agree s1 was absolute rubbish, however s2 has been a big improvement. I enjoyed it a lot. Captain pike really needs to get his own show and im sure it will happen somewhere down the line! Would love to see him, spock and number one again on that classic bridge

I met get around to returning to it again. 

• 1 month later...

I'm beyond excited. Really looking forward to this, despite how much I hated most of Trek's output since DS9/voyager ended. 

Only thing it was missing was a cameo from Q and Sisko.

I hope they don't try and guardians of galaxy/JJ Abrams it and I'm all in.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

From that trailer, it looks and feels like Star Trek. Discovery and even moreso the Abrams shite felt like Star Wars. 

I agree, however the trailer still feels a bit to flashy for me but hey, can't see Stewart signing on for some jar jar abrhams style stuff so here's to hoping!

Edited by grouse

2 hours ago, grouse said:

I agree, however the trailer still feels a bit to flashy for me but hey, can't see Stewart signing on for some jar jar abrhams style stuff so here's to hoping!

Yep. I was very skeptial of this given the producers, but for context:

I just turned 31:(. I've litterally spent more than half my life waiting for another proper star trek. The Next Generation does have some wacky episodes (especially the earlier seasons), but it is classic TV. Deep Space Nine was different, but it's the same quality.

The good things about these characters *see Patrick Stewart* is that they generally elevate the bad stuff. Insurextion and Nemesis objectively aren't very good films, but Stewarts pressence elevates the nonscene and makes it watchable. There's also the nostagia factor with Brent Spinner for example who might have evolved how he played the character, but it was always the same character.

Voyager is certainly the weak link of the 24th Century shows. It got better as it went along, but there is alot of filler episodes that aren't very memorable and don't go anywhere with a lack of creativity. However it is still better than most modern sci fi shows and Seven of Nine who was obviously only their for fan service at the start, did grow into a much better and memorable character by the end of the show.

Basically no matter how bad this is (as long as it isn't X Files revival bad), I just want to see these characters again.

Edited by AtariLegend

Well guess we are in the same boat, I just turned 34 and grew up with proper scifi as well(star trek/stargate/b5/space above and beyond etc) then the 00's started and it all turned to crap as far as im concerned so im absolutely excited to get some fresh new scifi on tv. The expanse is still the number 1 show for me at the moment(along with the orville being my guilty pleasure haha)but i have high hopes for picard for sure!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...