AtariLegend

Star Trek: Picard

So I've seen episode 3.

It was true, 1-3 are basically the pilot. I'm still loving it, because it's a 24th century star trek sequel.

However the music in every scene in episode 3 was a mistake. It's a little too much Rise of Skywalker imo. TNG era treks had music, but not during every dialogue scene. I'll over look it for now.

I'm looking forward to seeing Seven at some point in the coming episodes, as long as we can hear her over the ost.

Edited by AtariLegend

On 13-2-2020 at 9:53 PM, DieselDaisy said:

We have an über ''Marvel quipper'' present, Doctor Jurati. 

And that character is annoying as hell in my opinion 

The last episode felt more like The Fifth Element than Trek. It was wank if I'm honest.

It wasn't a great episode, but it was cool that they brought back Icheb randomly (even if it was a different actor). If you had to name 50 characters you'd expect to re-appear, that one would struggle to make it.

Jeri Ryan is supposed to be a reoccurring character, I hope she ends up more as a regular. One other random thing, apparently one of the bars on that planet was called "Quark's Bar". That would have been a fun cameo.

I like this show as a Trek fan, but the 45 minute format just doesn't work. They can't get the balance between character development, exposition and plot right currently. Then there's the fact that it's only 10 episodes. 1/2 way done already.

And Dr Bruce Maddox's return, from the classic ''Measure of a Man'' (TNG). Again different actor - here is the original,

latest?cb=20200125235242

New one,

latest?cb=20200222053436&path-prefix=en

He has had a hard paper round!

Edited by DieselDaisy

I am really fed up with this show, and modern Trek in toto.

It just seems that Star Trek these days (Discovery, Kelvin timeline films, Picard) is adverse to being Star Trek, to having those slow-paced character building  episodes which usually also operate as lessons in morality and humanity. During a ''standard'' (not a specially great or bad) episode, TNG-VOY say but to a lesser extent Enterprise, you could plonk two characters in a shuttlecraft - one location - come up with some space babble to create a ''problem'', a space distortion anomaly or something or other, and use it basically as a vehicle to character build. This is the bread and butter of Trek really, not big Borg and Klingon episodes. Take ''The Inner Light''. It is just a poignant character development piece set on a class m planet. ''Measure of a Man'' is a legal drama on AI, the nature of sentient life. 

Now the action set pieces all have to be Star Wars. The quipping has to be continuous and post-ironic. The editing has to be fast paced and unrelenting. The locations have to change all the time. The episodes have to be stuffed with fan service, Easter eggs, cameos and in-jokes.

Post-irony and cynicism have prevailed over Roddenberry's utopianism. 

It is over. 

I like the show, but they're really over doing the score.

No need to have music playing in every scene. Barely made out what was being said in the Rios/Raffi scene in the latest episode.

Hope they take note and get rid off it in season 2.

So it's over now.

Season really was a mixed bag with alot little issues that could easily be corrected.

However, it's Jean-Luc Picard and Seven of Nine... I just want to see these characters forever on tv as a fan.

Jeri Ryan actually seemed the most comfortable in her role throughout. Just a shame she didn't get much to do over the season. I assume she'll be a regular in season 2 though.

I wonder however if there was a rights issue with this show. They really shyed away from showing the different Starfleet ships and the klingons were absent. Hopefully though if we do see Worf for example in season 2... it isn't with that new design for klingons in Discovery or the jj films. Also less music and lense flares please.

Edited by AtariLegend