Duff McKagan - WTF Podcast Marc Maron

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1021-duff-mckagan

Duff McKagan weathered the storm of rock and roll excess and now finds himself with a loving family, sobriety, a reunited band, and a new solo album. Duff takes Marc back to the days when he first met Axl Rose, when Guns N’ Roses became one of the biggest bands in the world, and when heroin decimated his entire scene and nearly ended his life. Duff also talks about the lesson he learned from Joe Strummer that still guides him today, why Slash still blows his mind, and how he keeps himself grounded by being out in the world talking with people. 

Duff is out doing the press rounds! Marc Maron's podcast is usually more of a one-shot, evergreen kind of deal than a stop on a promo-circuit... I've listened to half so far... lot of retread about how much he reads (:facepalm:) and travels around in the first 20 mins (the interview is almost an hour and a half) ... so far I liked the part about how Slash sometimes leaves his body on stage and how he had his signature sound almost as soon as he picked up the guitar -- but anyway, check it out!

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, EvH said:

Duff is more boring than Dizzy these days. 

When was the last time any of them commanded your attention with a ready wit, earth shattering insight or withering repartee anyway? 

Can someone tell me what he says about Joe Strummer, I can't be arsed listened to all that bollocks.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

When was the last time any of them commanded your attention with a ready wit, earth shattering insight or withering repartee anyway? 

Obviously I'm not looking for such things with GNR.  But apart from the lack of news,  which we have sadly become used to,  these interviews are pointless and boring. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Can someone tell me what he says about Joe Strummer, I can't be arsed listened to all that bollocks.

Duff commanded my attention that time he so eloquently explained how he was, in fact, the conductor of the Guns n Roses orchestra. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Duff commanded my attention that time he so eloquently explained how he was, in fact, the conductor of the Guns n Roses orchestra. 

:lol: Jesus. He is SO out of his mind drunk & high in that clip!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I didn't listen to it, but I bet it's the same story he's been saying in other recent interviews; which is, more or less, that he saw The Clash playing in a theatre in 1979, fans were pogoing and security started to beat someone up, then Joe Strummer stopped the show to address that and said there was no barrier between the band and the crowd. And all that was formative for young Duff in understanding what punk was about.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I didn't listen to it, but I bet it's the same story he's been saying in other recent interviews; which is, more or less, that he saw The Clash playing in a theatre in 1979, fans were pogoing and security started to beat someone up, then Joe Strummer stopped the show to address that and said there was no barrier between the band and the crowd. And all that was formative for young Duff in understanding what punk was about.

Ah, I see.  More than a few people have that story to tell about Strummer, cheers Blackie ;) 

On 5/24/2019 at 5:18 PM, Ant said:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1021-duff-mckagan

Duff is out doing the press rounds! Marc Maron's podcast is usually more of a one-shot, evergreen kind of deal than a stop on a promo-circuit... I've listened to half so far... lot of retread about how much he reads (:facepalm:) and travels around in the first 20 mins (the interview is almost an hour and a half) ... so far I liked the part about how Slash sometimes leaves his body on stage and how he had his signature sound almost as soon as he picked up the guitar -- but anyway, check it out!

did Duff talk about punk rock? I've never heard him do that before

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

i listened to the interview and that is EXACTLY the story he told.  I hadn't heard it before, or maybe I heard it but zoned out while he was talking

10 hours ago, ironicninja said:

i listened to the interview and that is EXACTLY the story he told.  I hadn't heard it before, or maybe I heard it but zoned out while he was talking

He wrote about it in his book too. 

One thing I like about Slash's interviews is that it's not just the same thing every time. It'll be the same information about whatever he's promoting but not the same anecdotes each time.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

He wrote about it in his book too. 

One thing I like about Slash's interviews is that it's not just the same thing every time. It'll be the same information about whatever he's promoting but not the same anecdotes each time.

Slash doesnt always tell the same anecdotes, but he does have some beloved catch phrases that have been fairly consistent for 30 years, lol. 

"All things considered"

"We were the antithesis of all that was going on" (is this one retired now, maybe? havent heard it much lately)

"_______________" theres at least one other that Im blanking on.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Slash doesnt always tell the same anecdotes, but he does have some beloved catch phrases that have been fairly consistent for 30 years, lol. 

"All things considered"

"We were the antithesis of all that was going on" (is this one retired now, maybe? havent heard it much lately)

"In the general scheme of things" or "As far as you know" were old Slash favs.

Edit: another one just came to mind "for what it's worth".  

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, soon said:

"All things considered"

"So on and so forth" is another one I think :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, soon said:

"All things considered"

I like "all things considered." It's not a complete interview until he's said that a few times haha.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

if they don't do interviews, people complain; if they're doing interviews, people complain they're doing too much interviews :P 

it's just a lot of people reached the stage of shit or get off the pot. waiting for Axl to pull the trigger already but even if that time comes I think he/they won't share too much information about it since Duff said they're gonna "keep the mystery alive" aka "we want to do it, but we're waiting on Axl to give the order".

we don't need anymore Slash and Duff interviews imo. they've pretty much said all they can say about it imo. Still... it's nice to read how Duff felt kinda weird watching his daughter doing sexual moves on stage or Slash talking about another shitty horror movie he's gonna produce.

The thing is, if the host is instructed "no 'GNR future' questions", the scope of possibilities gets significantly limited, doesn’t it. But it’s true they’ve been testing our patience for a long time now and could release at least a tidbit of information every now and then. It wouldn’t kill anybody or spoil the expectation to say something like, we’ve been in the studio and have about 5 tracks ready to go, two in the works, and 20 finished without vocals, or something along these lines, right? Or, Axl and Slash were jamming the other day, got very drunk, and came up with the title of the new record... which I’m not gonna give away here. Etc.

Edited by jamillos