NEW Slash Interview 05/28, Confirms Work On New GNR Album!

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Damn he sounds a ton more definitive about a new GNR record than even a month or two ago in interviews

Nice!  

Absolutely. That was very interesting to me. He went from "we'll see....I dunno....who knows" to (more or less) "Yep". 

• Like 1

I'm really starting to think that they'll play at least one new song at these fall shows. Seems like such a meaningless little tour to do unless there's something in the works, and while I obviously don't know it wouldn't surprise me if they'd been working on a new song at those recent sessions, and will continue on the rest of the album after the shows this year. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Caedo said:

I'm really starting to think that they'll play at least one new song at these fall shows. Seems like such a meaningless little tour to do unless there's something in the works, and while I obviously don't know it wouldn't surprise me if they'd been working on a new song at those recent sessions, and will continue on the rest of the album after the shows this year. 

I'm on the fence about that. I'd love it if they did that then we got a surprise album release this year instead of next year, but as always: who knows with this band lol

• Like 2

Very cool Russ, thanks for the link and thanks for keeping this forum/community alive. Heads up to your pal running the interview, he did a great job and asked the good questions.

This interview is the confirmation we needed, they're definitely working on a new album, and Slash going to Axl's studio was real and directly linked to the new Guns record. Great!

Also, did Slash make a joke about Axl cutting the phone call? :lol:The audio is not clear enough on that part and I fear my english is rusty. If he did joke about this, it means their relation is very healthy.

I doubt they'll play a new song during the upcoming mini-tour, from what I get, they haven't recorded a complete song yet. Maybe some parts and ideas here and there. Who knows, maybe we'll have a surprise.

It also explains why Axl is so silent these days. He doesn't use twitter no more, no communication, that's a good sign (or so I hope). I hope he hits the gym a lot and does his best to look as close as possible to his 30 years old self (one can dream!). Stop the junk food, stop alcohol, run twice a week, and do some kickboxing. Unless he doesn't care about the iconic visual part no more, or doesn't understand how important it is. Sure the most important part is the voice and I didn't care much how he looked in 2010 because he sounded amazing. But I've always wished he'd disappear for a while and come back looking like a million bucks. He can definitely do it.

Look at Kyle MacLachlan. He has looked like shit for a while, let himself go, but lost weight, hit the gym, and looked his best for Twin Peaks: The Return. There's even a line stating how good he looks in season 3. That's how you do it!

The thing that's really bugging me though is the part where Slash says "we hadn't really done anything yet". Damn. That means the rest of Chinese Democracy doesn't count. I really hope "The General" will be the opener of this new album, at the very least. I don't see this line-up topping The General. Aside from this track, we haven't heard much except a very short clip of Checkmate (which I dig a lot, I'd love to hear the whole song), so who knows. Maybe Axl has thought this through and doesn't feel it's up to GN'R's legacy.

Now, again, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I feel what Bucket, Robin and the rest of the CD staff have brought to the table is more interesting that what Slash & Duff have released ever since they left Guns in 97. 

I absolutely dislike Duff's last song (haven't listened to the whole album and don't want to), and there's absolutely nothing on Slash's Living the dream: it's mediocre, generic and utterly boring. I don't want the new GN'R album to sound anything like this.

So really, I don't have much faith in their skills. It will all rely on Axl, pushing everyone to the max. He has to become the leader again and expect top material from each of them, along with getting back in perfect shape, both vocally and physically (mostly vocally, obviously).

The next mini-tour will allow us to see if he's trained enough. 

I went to the Paris show last year, I was happy to see them together, I enjoyed the show, it was cool. I did love the setlist. My expectations weren't too high, because I knew Axl wasn't using his full potential.

But if it's a new album we're talking about, I'm expecting top-notch quality. Axl has never disappointed me when it comes to studio album and he's not going to throw the towel now!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

this is good news. It's refreshing to hear Slash talking freely about the new album. He sounds confident it will happen. Things are in motion now. I believe we'll get another album but it's still gonna take them a while to complete it cause it seems they're just starting the process now.

it's cool that Axl got a lot of tunes already recorded, that could mean we'll get a new album sooner. I'll be real happy if it takes Axl 2 years from now to release it.

5 minutes ago, D.. said:

. I really hope "The General" will be the opener of this new album, at the very least. I don't see this line-up topping The General.

So, you've listened to The so called General? And wow, you can confirm this lineup will never top it? Whats your sources bro?

5 minutes ago, default_ said:

So, you've listened to The so called General? And wow, you can confirm this lineup will never top it? Whats your sources bro?

Well the chorus of it did leak last summer. Sounded pretty catchy and “lead single”-ish. The rest of the song could be boring as shit though, for all we know.

on topic; did anyone else catch that slash referred to his current tour as the World on Fire Tour? Instead of the Living the Dream Tour? Poor guy comes out with records so often that he can’t even keep up with them! XD

• Haha 1

I’ve always stayed optimistic on a new album and it’s nice to finally hear some confirmation there is one in the works. I think we could hear a song in the mini tour in October to test the waters with fans reactions etc to a new song before working on finishing the album. 

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Well the chorus of it did leak last summer. Sounded pretty catchy and “lead single”-ish. The rest of the song could be boring as shit though, for all we know.

You do know it was a fanmade song by Evader, right?

Edited by default_
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, default_ said:

You do know it was a fanmade song by Evader, right?

There was an audio clip that leaked last summer of Axl playing the demo at a Christmas party over a decade ago (he mentioned it during his 2008 forum visits). Like Zoso said, the quality is super shitty (and there are bitches talking through the whole thing), but if you listen closely you can hear Axl singing “Who would do this to you? Who would do this to the young? Who would do this to the young?” It’s definitely Axl singing that.

Edited by rocknroll41