Duff McKagan defends misunderstood '80s lyrics

10 minutes ago, action said:

"turn around bitch I got a use for you" is as sexist a lyric as I ever heard, but I have no problem with that. it was meant to provoke and to have a laugh, not being taken literally and that's how I hear them.

But this twisting and turning and "it was misunderstood" nonsense is token of the PC culture we live in today.

In the light of this, I don't think Duff is best placed to write a song dedicated to the metoo movement. it's dishonest, cringeworthy and reeking of hypocrisy.

Just be a man and stand by what you say, don't go twisting your own words in order to please some SJW's. You meant nothing wrong with that line, so don't go acting as if you did anything wrong.

Came here to post something similar, but I'll just say QFT instead. 

58 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Absolute bullshit!

Slash and Duff used to have blowjob games during the Illusion tour for crying out loud. They used to get the cameramen to focus on the attractive ladies and get them brought backstage to perform sex acts on them as some sort of competition. Something sordid happened when Rose and Slash were on the run from the police also in 1985, perhaps involving sex with inebriated minors - Geffen hushed it up with cash.

PS

And Rose raped Erin and Steph! Yip, ''good dudes'' indeed. 

You sure about the last part about Erin and Steph?!?! I get there may have been allegations (not sure if there were) but that’s a pretty extreme comment to make.

• Like 1

sounds like damage control, sorry but One in a Million was not from a "racist and homophobic" stand point, those were Axl's feelings which I am pretty sure he admitted to, just say "yea we were fucked up then and definitely regret writing those things:"

51 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Hypocrite and cringe what he said.

"Turn around bitch I've got a use for you" is just as bad as "I used to love her but I had to kill her", "broken backed, nasty ballbreaker" or "grab 'em by the pu---".

Why? Because all of it is verbal violence, even if they want to pass the lyrics as they belong to a fictional realm or that they are symbolic.
It's not symbolic when you have members of the band openly admitting to having sold women or accused of sexual abuse and domestic violence.

McKagan should just shut the fuck up with his excuses... if he wants to write songs to connect with his wife and daughters, that's fine!
I do believe that he has a deep love for his family and I can also believe that he's a changed man due to that, but there is no need to fool the audience with this rethoric.

Exactly.  The vast majority of people mature and change when the get older.  You're allowed to write "insensitive" songs in your early 20's and then not want to do that in your mid 50's.  If a new GNR album (if it ever comes) has lyrics like AFD, it would be very non-genuine.

15 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Exactly.  The vast majority of people mature and change when the get older.  You're allowed to write "insensitive" songs in your early 20's and then not want to do that in your mid 50's.  If a new GNR album (if it ever comes) has lyrics like AFD, it would be very non-genuine.

Fuck that, you're allowed to write crude, insensitive, foul, abusive, aggressive, prurient, coarse, sleazy, disrespectful and generally horrible lyrics any time you want, just stick by em.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck that, you're allowed to write crude, insensitive, foul, abusive, aggressive, prurient, coarse, sleazy, disrespectful and generally horrible lyrics any time you want, just stick by em.

if a man doesn't stand by his own words, how does he expect anyone else to take him seriously?

Bitch, please. it means exactly what it means. it was sexist, it's how they lived. one of the things that make Appetite so good is the fact it was real, they were all young and didn't exactly respect women. he comes off as a coward and it's an insult to my intelligence to pretend he was just joking and didn't objectify all those groupies.

the song as a whole wouldn't be the same with a different lyric though. I still love Duff cause he's a gunner but where's your balls at? stand behind your art punkman.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, action said:

if a man doesn't stand by his own words, how does he expect anyone else to take him seriously?

Right.  I'm not even saying you can't change, people find God, go through shit, become different people, thats fair enough but this is more like 'oh we were just kind hearted misunderstood choirboys', don't insult my fuckin' intelligence Duff Man, I actually quite like Duff but he's turning into a right Oprah Winfrey lately.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Absolute bullshit!

Slash and Duff used to have blowjob games during the Illusion tour for crying out loud. They used to get the cameramen to focus on the attractive ladies and get them brought backstage to perform sex acts on them as some sort of competition. Something sordid happened when Rose and Slash were on the run from the police also in 1985, perhaps involving sex with inebriated minors - Geffen hushed it up with cash.

PS

And Rose raped Erin and Steph! Yip, ''good dudes'' indeed. 

It was no secret that Slash was into underage girls. Remember Perla? That's how they met, she was an underage groupie. And there was that story a few years ago about that girl who lost her virginity with Izzy when she was 17. I think Steven has talked about the blowjob competitions also.

So yeah, they weren't any kind of saints. I'm sure they're changed men now but back then those lyrics meant what you think they mean.

• Like 1

I caught this as part of the long Duff interview someone linked the other day and was also pretty disappointed. I expected something along the lines of 'Yeah, times were different and we behaved really f'n badly. That was 30 years ago, and while it was reflective of the time and place, that doesn't make it OK. " which, to be honest, given that it is GNR ,is probably best you can do. And either you accept that apology and move on or you don't. 

He kept harping on the  idea that 'They didn't hang around guys like that, we wouldn't have put up with that'. As if there is some magic model for how rapists and sex abusers behave that is super easy to spot and block out?  There is a big difference in power dynamic between a groupie and a rockstar vs a Weinstein and a wannabe actress --- but the fact that in their case the women were often aggressively pursuing them doesn't mean there wasn't a risk that some people in their circle, especially with the amount of booze drugs and women around constantly, crossed a line and that maybe the band was too high to notice or interpret that behavior at the time. And there was most definitely a power dynamic between the crew who could allow or deny access to the band, and the women trying to get with the band. And that power balance can lead to more of a Weinstein dynamic. And no way were the band aware of all of this while they were on tour in the 80s and 90s.

In the long interview he also went into how his wife and hopefully his daughters wouldn't put themselves in situations that could get them in trouble, again a really awful sentiment which is pretty much saying that no smart woman would have put themselves in a room with GNR at any time ever, given that lyric he has penned and their reputation.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

God I’m so allergic to this PC bullshit. Should we perhaps condemn the whole rock n’ roll thing, order every and each musician to start apologizing 24/7, and generally curse everyone who was born before 2000? Fucking pricks. How about investigating into that Church paedophilia shit for a change and putting it all on TV, you pussies?

• Haha 1

Duff should have been honest,

The place they were at as young men, in a rock band, decadence and debauchery around; this (It's So Easy) wasn't meant to be song that shows the bands commentary on the relationships or structures that existed back then, it was either an embracement of that life, or just a glimpse into it. And that's fine with me. Backtracking for the sake of itself, rather than be honest and saying "That's what we were like, that's the lifestyle we lived, and it was blank (wrong, whatever, etc.)." is far more disingenuous and dishonest.  

• Like 3