Duff McKagan defends misunderstood '80s lyrics

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

I had totally forgotten about Money For Nothing, did Mark Knopfler catch any heat for that line?

Yes, the song has been edited  and banned on some stations.. 

Again fucking stupid though. If you listen to the context of the song he is just depicting what others may think and say about him or his musician peers. 

• Thanks 1

Regarding Axl using the f*ggots term. I can remember a quote from many years ago which went something like this: 

"Homophobic? Yeah, probably. I was raped in the ass as a two year old". 

While we were waiting for CD, Duff worked hard, raised his family and kicked addiction. I've more respect for him than ever before. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I had totally forgotten about Money For Nothing, did Mark Knopfler catch any heat for that line?

In any site that have articles about Politically incorrect songs,  appear Money for nothing. Few months ago apparead Nirvana song Rap me as PI too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Regarding Axl using the f*ggots term. I can remember a quote from many years ago which went something like this: 

"Homophobic? Yeah, probably. I was raped in the ass as a two year old". 

While we were waiting for CD, Duff worked hard, raised his family and kicked addiction. I've more respect for him than ever before. 

Yes, Axl always had a harder time defending his homophobia. I have written a bit about it here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t2847p60-the-history-of-guns-n-roses-in-their-own-words#12220

As for Duff: he is obviously distancing himself from their lyrics and what they meant back then, and that's a bit weak, but I get it.

11 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Yes he did and he said it was being said by the character in the song's perspective. Also that it was basically quotes he overheard a worker saying in a department store.

I guess in a lot of live performances (including Live Aid) he changed the lyric to "Queenie" but I hear the original on the radio even now.

• Thanks 1

I get what some of you are saying, but there is a difference between the GnR sleaze snd what Trump was saying with 'grab em by the pussy.'

Trump was boasting about being able to regularly commit actual sexual assault and get away with it. 

I don't get that from GnR lyrics, however debauched and sleazy some of them admittedly are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

I get what some of you are saying, but there is a difference between the GnR sleaze snd what Trump was saying with 'grab em by the pussy.'

Trump was boasting about being able to regularly commit actual sexual assault and get away with it. 

I don't get that from GnR lyrics, however debauched and sleazy some of them admittedly are. 

Such a bitch  move on Duff's part using an easy target to make yourself look good.  Oh if I make a subtle jab at Trump I'll be redeemed for all the sexist lyrics I've been a part of.  So lame.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

"Turn around b*tch I got a use for you" Has nothing to do with sex huh? lol

Edited by 31illusions
  • Like 2

On 31/05/2019 at 12:38 AM, Tom-Ass said:

Duff seems like a smart and cool dude.. Guns lyrics weren't misunderstood.. They always boasted how real their music was and how it was a reflection of their life and the times.. Just own up to it.. Times change, people change and evolve.. Just because you are a different person now doesn't mean you have to pretend you weren't what you were then.  So lame.... 

Agree. Duffs channeling his inner oprah winfrey.

• Haha 1

Duff being PC is the way the world goes as of now. Given the current climate, it's hard to explain some subjective principles on TV, when you know a lot of people coming from very different places, cultures and so on, will listen to what you say, and every person will interpret it his way. Especially some feminists.

I think he handled it the right way on this one. It was the perfect answer and who cares if some fans think he's become PC and is acting like a hypocrite. At the end of the day, his reputation is safe, his family is happy, and he will soon be able to afford the yacht he's dreamt of ever since leaving Guns in 97. Duff, the huge yacht is not far away! SOON it will be yours! And I'm very happy for him.

Had he said he meant every word in "It's so easy" to be taken literally, you'd have seen a lot of weird articles floating around on the internet, picturing him as a retarded over 50 years old white man feeling he has privileges and all that bullshit :lol: And soon enough, his wife may have accused him of rape and gotten away with half of his hard earned money. Do you think he would have given up on the yacht AND the wife for a 4 minutes interview? YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY! 

You will soon all have pictures of Duff standing on his yacht with his arms in the air, his wife in bikini suits and the kids preparing the meal.

It's very hard to talk without filters nowadays. 

Also, remember Duff has been sober for a long time. When you're sober you add even more filters. He's obviously not in the same state of mind he was 30 years ago.

How would you explain the "turn around bitch I've got a use for you" on television? First thing that comes to your mind "oh man, the backlash... my future yacht... wife in bikini, kids preparing the meal... I should be careful with what I'm going to say".

If you explain these particular lyrics saying "listen, when you're a relationship, sometimes the girl asks you to pull her hair, take her from behind, slap her a** and call her a bitch", you're not going to have a good time afterwards. The yacht is basically dead to you.

Try to explain that when you're in a relationship and there's mutual understanding, girls can be much more kinky than men: you're already f****. No yacht for you. No wife. Game Over. 

In the end, Duff is a genius that writes mediocre songs. But he will soon have a yacht you will never be able to afford. 

It's all about the boat.

Edited by D..
  • Haha 1

On 31/05/2019 at 11:44 AM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Never get tired of watching that. Really wish a journalist would  ask "so duff when playing with gnr do you still feel like your a conductor" just to see his reaction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Never get tired of watching that. Really wish a journalist would  ask "so duff when playing with gnr do you still feel like your a conductor" just to see his reaction.

It puts Duff in a "conductor pa-siiss-son"

• Haha 3

On 5/31/2019 at 2:44 AM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

To be fair he said "Like a conductor position" but he gave the camera a look like "not a conductor... but, I'm pissed and can barely remember my own name! nevermind be able to intellectualise what it is I do, when I play the bass guitar in GNR" :D  

He was a mess though. The subtitles should have been in all languages :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

To be fair he said "Like a conductor position" but he gave the camera a look like "not a conductor... but, I'm pissed and can barely remember my own name! nevermind be able to intellectualise what it is I do, when I play the bass guitar in GNR" :D  

He was a mess though. The subtitles should have been in all languages :D 

i think duff was hilarious back then, it's funny even though he was all fucked up his personality was A+ lol

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've shared this old story a bunch here, but seeing Duff like that always reminds me of it:

Years and years ago, my brother and I sat in my living room with a fifth, watching GN'R bootlegs. Started out in the late afternoon and went until it was dark. We were watching some camcorder filmed show from '91 when they did LALD. We were so hammered that the strobe lights were fucking with us. You couldn't see Duff on the screen due to the camera angle but my brother said "FUCK! Wherever Duff is at, he must be laying down". The camera panned out and sure as shit, Duff was laying on the stage playing bass :lol:

That is hilarious,  I've done that too.  Not bootlegs but stuff I had taped like the Paris show or stuff from MTV.  Was it a fifth of Jack?😄

Just now, lame ass security said:

That is hilarious,  I've done that too.  Not bootlegs but stuff I had taped like the Paris show or stuff from MTV.  Was it a fifth of Jack?😄

Oh dear god no. I'm strictly a Canadian Club man. 

• Haha 1