Duff McKagan defends misunderstood '80s lyrics

41 minutes ago, EvanG said:

In every band there's a guy (or girl) who has that role, and in GnR it was Duff because he (sorta) played all the instruments and he had the most band experience, I don't see what's so weird about that.

yeah Duff doesn't need to be a great drummer or guitar player to hold it together, he just needs to know how they think which he does to a certain degree. Must have been and still is of value to the band. He's a great hard rock bass player and in addition he's a well rounded musician plus he has perfect chemistry with Slash and he had that with Steven and Matt as well and has a knack of knowing where a song needs to go organically. All in all a fine punk conductor.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i think duff was hilarious back then, it's funny even though he was all fucked up his personality was A+ lol

Agree i have to admit him and slash were my favourite members.  Maybe because it seemed they did more magazine interviews than other band members.

When i watch the video again after he says conductor, the interviewer says "really "  and duff says "yeah" being extremely convincing. I dont know how he functioned back then, and all the bands vices never impacted their performance on stage.

Edited by Sydney Fan

44 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree i have to admit him and slash were my favourite members.  Maybe because it seemed they did more magazine interviews than other band members.

When i watch the video again after he says conductor, the interviewer says "really "  and duff says "yeah" being extremely convincing. I dont know how he functioned back then, and all the bands vices never impacted their performance on stage.

Well, to say it never impacted their performance is drastically overstating it.  The truth is it probably impacted it on a nightly basis.  Every concert wasn't being scrutinized like it is currently so people weren't really aware.  The riot show, for example,  Slash was noticeably impaired.  Or when Duff screwed up the bass line during SCOM at the Paris show.  I suspect Axl resented the fact that he couldn't party as hard as the other guys because he had to protect his voice.

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Well, to say it never impacted their performance is drastically overstating it.  The truth is it probably impacted it on a nightly basis.  Every concert wasn't being scrutinized like it is currently so people weren't really aware.  The riot show, for example,  Slash was noticeably impaired.  Or when Duff screwed up the bass line during SCOM at the Paris show.  I suspect Axl resented the fact that he couldn't party as hard as the other guys because he had to protect his voice.

In terms of your last sentence may well be true. When gnr toured australia in 93 with the 2 dates they had, slash and duff were out jamming with other bands and out in the clubs where it was reported axl was in his hotel room drinking fruit juice to preserve his voice and not venturing out. Considering how the band where and coming apart, one fact was when you went to a guns concert you never knew what to expect!.

• Like 1

Much better to take the “We were raw, and out-of-control back then, but have thankfully evolved since...” approach. I don’t think they were “good guys” at all. More like outlaws, who maybe had the potential of becoming good guys someday. Fortunately, it appears they did- particularly a solid all-around guy like Duff. Just own the whole story though. More powerful/impactful that way (maybe you actually turn some young guys on the wrong track around, etc.)...

That all being said- in this environment (i.e. can’t even fess up to 25-30 year old misbehavior)- Duff probably taking the only viable path to protect the biz/brand.

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 2

BTW- what's so offensive in lyrics to "It's So Easy"??? Who is supposed to get offended by that??? I'm asking seriously, I'm not american, so maybe I missed some context, and I don't know... One In A Million- I know why it IS offensive, but It's So Easy- I don't know... 

• Like 1

Wow. What an embarrassing group of fans that Guns fans are. My thing with this group was always the music, the vocals, etc. Not the kind of vile stuff that would sometimes come up in their lyrics. I didn't realize that was what so many people got off on. And I didn't realize that a lot of Guns fans think that it's a bad thing to move on from some of the sentiments expressed in their earlier material.

If this is who their fan base is (and for the record I know it's only a small, small sliver) then perhaps all the better that they don't give you guys new music, as you'd probably bitch that these 50-something year old men were maybe pushing a more positive lyrical agenda and therefore a lot of you guys would be saying what "pussies" they are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

duff is acting like pussy first and formost for trying to retract the best piece of material that he can up with 

by not owning up and saying it was a different time which as cliché as it is to say its true 

simple as that 

Agree, plus the fact none of them thought years down the road.  Duff has put this in his biography, he didnt think he would live past 30, which i dont know why he couldnt be candid in interviews and mentio  that part. They lived on the street hand to mouth to survive as a band. They used people to maintain a life. Why not say it?.

On 5 June 2019 at 1:49 AM, 31illusions said:

"Turn around b*tch I got a use for you" Has nothing to do with sex huh? lol

What? We're not debating whether that lyric is related to sex. I am drawing a distinction between it and Trump boasting of outright sexual assault. The 'turn around bitch' lyric is far from being politically correct, but I always understood it as about someone in a fiery pissed off mood wanting (consensual) sex with their girlfriend, not about raping her. It's not by far the worst lyric Duff has sung anyway. The worst must be the line in Attitude 'if you don't shut your mouth you're gonna feel the floor, bitch' - now that IS about assault, and I don't see how he could defend it, or why he still sings it.

• Like 2

It's pretty bizarre that so many fans have obviously stuck by the band despite the One In A Millon lyrics and the rest, but then get all enraged now that Axl and Duff have matured and are expressing healthier outlooks on life and the world. If Trump means that much to you then get another band, because face it they don't like him at all and at least have the honesty to say so, unlike some other artists who would keep their mouths shut in case they lost fans over their political views.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

It's pretty bizarre that so many fans have obviously stuck by the band despite the One In A Millon lyrics and the rest, but then get all enraged now that Axl and Duff have matured and are expressing healthier outlooks on life and the world. If Trump means that much to you then get another band, because face it they don't like him at all and at least have the honesty to say so, unlike some other artists who would keep their mouths shut in case they lost fans over their political views.

I have no issue with listening to oiam. Theres a difference between being mature and owning and standing by the lyrics and  in duffs case distancing himself from especially the AFD lyrics and giving bullshit lines to interviewers because he cares about his personal "brand" because hes suddenly "woke". Its like reading interviews with bands who cant stand behind a poor selling album and say "that wasnt us" and its like thats your band name on the record isnt it?. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

Artists whose jobs are NOT political should keep their mouth shut while performing. Fans pay to see them do their job, not preach to them on volatile subjects like politics.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Artists whose jobs are NOT political should keep their mouth shut while performing. Fans pay to see them do their job, not preach to them on volatile subjects like politics.

hmmm, so Marvin Gaye, any old school Punk band, rap artists, psychedelic rockers from the '60s, should all just keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics; only write cliche music about love? What about Civil War? maybe GN'R's most complete song, in terms of lyrics and musical composition. Should they just throw that away? 

• Like 1

We're a little too harsh on Duff. God, the man is a father of two growing daughters. Maybe he has in mind Oscar Wilde's words: "Children begin by loving their parents. As they grow older they judge them. Sometimes they forgive them." Or he wants to make sure no one else calls him Republican, like Cobain did. Or he's become dickless.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong about being young and horny. And there's nothing wrong about rough sex, when it's consensual. Sometimes you say "come here, you bitch", sometimes she yells at you "you useless piece of meat", and that's fucking hot!

Anyway, we have the right to call Duff spineless (again), and he has his reasons to act like he does. Pretty shitty situation. Oh wait, it's Guns N' Roses.

• Like 1

I've never thought One in a million as a racist/homophobic song. The same goes for Stone temple pilots' Sex type thing or any Bon Scott AC/DC song: never considered them sexist or whatever. But Duff Doing an #metoo song reminds me why I can't stand those guys anymore. 

Edited by axleu